Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Technical difference between Expert 250 Pro and Expert 220 Pro
Hi all,

If this has been posted before, my apologies
When I go through the specifications of the Expert 250 Pro and the Expert 220 Pro, all is the same. But the 250 costs twice as much. Why, what is the physical difference?

I understand measurements only tell part of the story, but what are the real differences between the 220 and the 250? The 250 is supposed to sound better, but I don’t understand how, why and in what respect.

Please enlighten me. Thanks.

Mark Levinson No585 | Denafrips Venus II 12th | Crystal Cable XLR | Crystal Cable Diamond2 USB | Crystal Cable Reference Diamond speaker cables | MartinLogan Expression ESL 13A | Roon Nucleus + Qobuz | TeddyPardo LPS for switch and Nucleus. (I gave up on Devialet)
I think the electronics inside may be the same, but the 250 case has better thermal capacity so some parameters in the firmware code are different to optimize working conditions for the amp and power supply. Easiest to see on dual mono. 2x220 makes a 440 while 2x250 makes a 1000.
A 250 Pro CI is said to sound better than a 220 too.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Exactly.

When you are bridging an amplifier you multiply its power by 4, provided you don’t hit a current limitation and thermal dissipation before.

That explains why a bridged 220 is only x2 but while a bridged 250 is x4.

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
I share the question RvdH posed. Where's the beef? What justifies the price differential between the 220Pro and the 250Pro? The features seem the same (correct me, please, if I'm wrong). It can't just be the additional 30+30Watts and the pure copper bottom! For the price of the 250Pro I could get the 440Pro with loads more power. I'm using a 7-yr-old D200 and wonder about the way up (even beyond the upgrade D200>D220Pro).

Thanks for feedback!
Devialet 440 Pro C.I., Innuos Zen Mk3, Origin Live Calypso with Illustrious arm and Soundsmith Zephyr cartridge, KEF Reference 3, Vertere speaker cables and interconnects, 2 Nanotech 309 power cables for the 440, GigaWatt power strip and cables
Housing from unit and remote 250/1000. is by far more expensive and the products are mix calculated

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk
(12-May-2021, 14:19)Digitalhead Wrote: I share the question RvdH posed. Where's the beef? What justifies the price differential between the 220Pro and the 250Pro? The features seem the same (correct me, please, if I'm wrong). It can't just be the additional 30+30Watts and the pure copper bottom! For the price of the 250Pro I could get the 440Pro with loads more power. I'm using a 7-yr-old D200 and wonder about the way up (even beyond the upgrade D200>D220Pro).

Thanks for feedback!

Hi.
I have exactly the same dilemna as you about the difference between the two.
LG b7 ,atlas mavros optical(glass),Devialet expert 1000 pro ci ,isoacoustics orea bronze,audioquest nrg-z3x2 ,audioquest niagara 1200,audioquest nrg-z3,mcru wall socket ,Atlas mavros speaker cable,KEF Reference 1 ,Synergistic research orange x3 and black x1 (13a UK plug
I just did a 220 Pro CI and 250 Pro CI side by side comparison last week using a GT1 speaker with SAM enabled to 100%.

The 250 Pro sounds noticeably better, especially in the bass part it is noticeably fuller, more energy, and this contributed a lot to the overall sounding experience. I was surprised the difference is so distinct.

Guess the capacity of the capacitor inside 250 may be bigger than 220 so it can keep more power ready for the bass when needed? I am just guessing.

I am very interested to see how a 440 Pro compared to 250 Pro, anyone has experience here?

There are not many second hand 250 Pro for sale otherwise I will upgrade the 220 Pro, the difference is just quite noticeable. And once you use the 250 remote, you won’t like the 220 remote at all.
(12-May-2021, 14:19)Digitalhead Wrote: I share the question RvdH posed. Where's the beef? What justifies the price differential between the 220Pro and the 250Pro? The features seem the same (correct me, please, if I'm wrong). It can't just be the additional 30+30Watts and the pure copper bottom! For the price of the 250Pro I could get the 440Pro with loads more power. I'm using a 7-yr-old D200 and wonder about the way up (even beyond the upgrade D200>D220Pro).

Thanks for feedback!

Thanks. By the way: from my own experience I can say that upgrading from a 200 to a 220 Pro CI is a much bigger upgrade than from a 220 Pro CI to a 250 Pro CI. That is why I asked the question.

Mark Levinson No585 | Denafrips Venus II 12th | Crystal Cable XLR | Crystal Cable Diamond2 USB | Crystal Cable Reference Diamond speaker cables | MartinLogan Expression ESL 13A | Roon Nucleus + Qobuz | TeddyPardo LPS for switch and Nucleus. (I gave up on Devialet)
(13-May-2021, 00:38)PeppaPig Wrote: I just did a 220 Pro CI and 250 Pro CI side by side comparison last week using a GT1 speaker with SAM enabled to 100%.

The 250 Pro sounds noticeably better, especially in the bass part it is noticeably fuller, more energy, and this contributed a lot to the overall sounding experience. I was surprised the difference is so distinct.

Guess the capacity of the capacitor inside 250 may be bigger than 220 so it can keep more power ready for the bass when needed? I am just guessing.

I am very interested to see how a 440 Pro compared to 250 Pro, anyone has experience here?

There are not many second hand 250 Pro for sale otherwise I will upgrade the 220 Pro, the difference is just quite noticeable. And once you use the 250 remote, you won’t like the 220 remote at all.
The difference between the remotes is only that the logo turns on the 250 remote and the casing ihas a slight bend, like the casing of the 250. 

The difference between the 440 and the 250 depends on what speakers you use. My speakers have active subwoofers built in so for me the extra power of the 440 did not do much. That is why I went from a 220 to a 250. And because I like the case better. I spent my money on better speaker cables. That improved the sound more than going from a 220 to a 440 did.

For bass reproduction, it always helps more power to the amplifier and more sensitivity to the speakers.
I had the opportunity to listen to all models of Devialet amplifiers (stereo and dual-mono), except the Expert 1000 Pro Dual. There are differences in sound quality from one to another, but deciding whether the difference in sound quality is worth the price difference is a personal decision.