Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Ethernet Cable Shootout
@Johnnydev and @Snoopy8

Thanks, the Supra Cat 8 sounds like it might be worth giving a try. I am using DIY Supra Cable for my mains to the Kii‘s and like the results. Which connectors are you using for your DIY Cat 8s?
Kii Three Speakers | JL Audio Fathom Subwoofer  | KEF LS50 Speakers | Samsung 850 Soundbar
Innuos Statement | Trinnov Altitude 32 | PS Audio Stellar S300 Amp | T+A HA 200 Headphone Amplifier | Meze Empyrean Headphones
Sean Jacobs DC-3 Custom Build LPS | Roon Core DIY Server | SOtM sNH-10G Modded Switch | Oppo UDP-205 Blu-Ray/SACD Player
T+A G 2000 R Turntable | DS Audio E1 Optical Stylus | Gordian Lab 12 Power Conditioner | Artesania Audio Rack
(21-Dec-2019, 19:43)baconbrain Wrote: @Johnnydev and @Snoopy8

Thanks, the Supra Cat 8 sounds like it might be worth giving a try. I am using DIY Supra Cable for my mains to the Kii‘s and like the results. Which connectors are you using for your DIY Cat 8s?

these, original supra
(21-Dec-2019, 13:00)Johnnydev Wrote: They are all changed now by DIY supra cat8 (shielding on one site, no groundloops) with great succes.
Mine are still the original Supra cables. Do you still have the original ones to try with the EtherREGEN?
(21-Dec-2019, 21:35)Snoopy8 Wrote:
(21-Dec-2019, 13:00)Johnnydev Wrote: They are all changed now by DIY supra cat8 (shielding on one site, no groundloops) with great succes.
Mine are still the original Supra cables.  Do you still have the original ones to try with the EtherREGEN?

Hi Snoopy8

with the EtherRegen i have tried the SOTM and the rest was indeed before the EtherRegen. Good question.

At this moment i have the EtherRegen exactly in use as you snoopy8 to the dialog and my phantoms gold.
So, the B side to the dialog and the phantoms via PLC, and i must say, this is also a good option. I don’t no yet what is the best. Over a view days i try the other way again.

In my PLC route is the AudioQuest Niagara 1200, phantoms to the high-current and the dialog via the ultra lineair filtering.
And that gives also a improve in SQ.
Everything is also connected with Audioquest Z2 and Z3, wich is also better.
(21-Dec-2019, 11:46)Snoopy8 Wrote: Unlike the SOtM cable, I could certainly live with the Wireworld one.
I have decided to skip the Wireworld Starlight Cat 8 cable as well; it introduced a slight smearing of the instruments that the EtherREGEN eliminated.  For my setup, it looks like the Supra Cat 8 cable for me, or even standard cables, which I have difficulty telling apart.

Uptone, in the EtherREGEN user guide, declined to recommend purchase of any fancy or expensive Ethernet cabling. I support that recommendation.
(23-Dec-2019, 12:35)Snoopy8 Wrote:
(21-Dec-2019, 11:46)Snoopy8 Wrote: Unlike the SOtM cable, I could certainly live with the Wireworld one.
I have decided to skip the Wireworld Starlight Cat 8 cable as well; it introduced a slight smearing of the instruments that the EtherREGEN eliminated.  For my setup, it looks like the Supra Cat 8 cable for me, or even standard cables, which I have difficulty telling apart.

Uptone, in the EtherREGEN user guide, declined to recommend purchase of any fancy or expensive Ethernet cabling. I support that recommendation.

+1

What you could do is to check whether or not you can get unwanted groundloops.
I have done this throughout my system by disconnecting/connecting the shielding at the desired places.

So not only with the supra cat8, but also bij the DC and CIA connections. 
Every device in the chain has only 1 earth connection, so direct and short as possible to my earth pin.
Anybody good results with the Starlight cat8 cable? I've received mine today from the shop but it seems a faulty one, no signal at all...
Mac Mini M2 - Roon + HQplayer - Devialet 250 - B&W 802 D4 - WireWorld Starlight CAT8 - Van Damme Up-Lcofc - Orea Bronze
I use Starlight Cat 8 and like them. In my system it replaced AudioQuest Vodka which I had been using for over a year and was quite happy with. I moved my switch to a different location with a rearrangement of some things and needed a longer cable to connect the switch to the wall point linking back to my router in another room and I could not find a 3 metre Vodka, the Australian distributor was out of stock and I couldn't find an Australian on-line store with a 3 metre cable in stock. My usual audio dealer doesn't stock AudioQuest but did stock WireWorld and I decided to give their 3 metre length a try. I found I preferred it to the Vodka and replaced the 2 shorter Vodka lengths in my system as well. I definitely haven't noticed any smearing of instruments.

Since then, however, I have replaced my Cisco switch with an EtherREGEN and also replaced the 3 metre WireWorld Starlight Cat 8 cable with a fibre optic cable. I'm still using the 2 shorter Starlight Cat 8 cables.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Snoopy8
Mine are still the original Supra cables.  Do you still have the original ones to try with the EtherREGEN?

How did you go around that groundloop ..?"
Roon Nuceleus + Core/Tidal > Rood Ready wired ethernet > Keces P8 LPS > EtherRegan switch > D250 PRO > Sonus Faber Cremona M
Nordost Frey 2 Power cable - Blue Jeans Speaker Cables - Audioquest Diamond and Supra cat8 ethernet cables
Other: Ipad air with ROON Control / Pro Ject ground base - ISO Acoustics Orea - Herbie Tenderfoots 
"and those who were seen dancing were thougt to be insane by those who could not hear the music"

"and those who were seen dancing were thougt to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
I just did a listening test between Audioquest Vodka and Cinnamon, Cable Matters cat8, and Monoprice cat8 ethernet cables: https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Deviousa...5#pid91425, preferring them in that order but being really impressed with Cable Matters for the money.