Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The impossibility of sound quality difference whatever the medium
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with all of you who think that using different optical cables/wifi can or does make any difference to the sound quality of the Phantom or any other device.

The cables work or they don't. You'll know if they don't. The same with wifi.

It's the same bits. They either get transmitted or they don't. It doesn't matter how much you paid for the cables or router, or what manufacturer's badge they have on them. If the bits arrive ok, the medium works; if they don't, it won't.

It really is that simple, has been tested blind, double blind and is blindingly obvious if you think about it for a moment.

If bits were different when transmitted my different cables then the internet wouldn't work and you would not be reading this.

That said, I do have sympathy with those that claim to hear such differences. All of our senses are subject to an awful lot of processing and guesswork by the brain. That is imperfect (because to be otherwise the sense organs would have to be significantly altered and the brain significantly larger and therefore consume much more energy than it already does). So the brain, dear of it, has to make lots of stuff up. So it looks at logos, price tags and all sorts of other things when coming to the conclusions that it feeds you (not that you are other than it!). So I can be fooled, just like the rest. And have been, and will continue so to be.

Until I apply a little science and thought and buy the cheapest that works. Then I feel like I've actually engaged with the universe and how it actually works rather than just imagining it to be how I want it to be.

But that, maybe, is just me. I hope not, though.

Cheers!
Yes, I can't understand how one optical cable would be any different to another. Unlike analogue cables where external forces could influence the electrical flow, the 0's & 1's are surely impervious to external forces ie what comes out is exactly what went in.
I've no doubt that some notice a difference, why, I don't know. Maybe it's the way those 0's & 1's progress through ie jitter/timing but that could be due to the front end be it computer or CD/DVD player.
(05-Dec-2015, 08:03)Davyboy Wrote: Yes, I can't understand how one optical cable would be any different to another. Unlike analogue cables where external forces could influence the electrical flow, the 0's & 1's are surely impervious to external forces ie what comes out is exactly what went in.
I've no doubt that some notice a difference, why, I don't know. Maybe it's the way those 0's & 1's progress through ie jitter/timing but that could be due to the front end be it computer or CD/DVD player.

It can't be jitter, because with digital it basically doesn't exist. Certainly not in a way that can be discerned by human hearing. It amuses me that those who prefer vinyl to digital get hung up about jitter, when it's absolutely huge and most definitely discernable there. Wow, flutter etc; even with the best equipment and pressings.

And it can't be the computer/CD or whatever either. It's the same bits whatever the source!

I could also argue with you about analogue cables, but life is too short!

But thanks for your reply, really!

Pete
Yes i cant agree more!!
forget expensive boutique optical snake oil cables. its just a wank.
Upsampling 44.1 /48 to 88.2 , or 96 ,176,or 192khz is where the magic is .

inmho of course

happy travels
Yes live is to short for a discusion like this.

If you can't hear it, don't buy it, and don't buy devialet then, but cheaper speakers.

And Yes save your money on everything you can. Don't buy nice clothes, shoes and give your wife no make up etc. Because it does not make any difference.

My advice is listen with blind tests, if you hear no difference, don't buy it! So simple can it be!
Huh ?, what are you going on about johnnydev?
@Johnnydev

This is not about something visibly/discernibly nicer than something else.

It is *proven* that expensive HDMI cables and optical cables make absolutely no difference compared to their cheap counterparts. Maybe they last longer and don't break as easily, but from an output perspective they work or they do not work. The end. It actually makes NO difference. Scientifically. None.

Whereas most people could hear the difference between speakers. Even if they can't, there *is* a difference.

You're making it sound like there is room for discussion and debate, but there's not.
(05-Dec-2015, 07:16)Gremlin Wrote: I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with all of you who think that using different optical cables/wifi can or does make any difference to the sound quality of the Phantom or any other device.

The cables work or they don't. You'll know if they don't. The same with wifi.

It's the same bits. They either get transmitted or they don't. It doesn't matter how much you paid for the cables or router, or what manufacturer's badge they have on them. If the bits arrive ok, the medium works; if they don't, it won't.

It really is that simple, has been tested blind, double blind and is blindingly obvious if you think about it for a moment.

If bits were different when transmitted my different cables then the internet wouldn't work and you would not be reading this.

That said, I do have sympathy with those that claim to hear such differences. All of our senses are subject to an awful lot of processing and guesswork by the brain. That is imperfect (because to be otherwise the sense organs would have to be significantly altered and the brain significantly larger and therefore consume much more energy than it already does). So the brain, dear of it, has to make lots of stuff up. So it looks at logos, price tags and all sorts of other things when coming to the conclusions that it feeds you (not that you are other than it!). So I can be fooled, just like the rest. And have been, and will continue so to be.

Until I apply a little science and thought and buy the cheapest that works. Then I feel like I've actually engaged with the universe and how it actually works rather than just imagining it to be how I want it to be.

But that, maybe, is just me. I hope not, though.

Cheers!

Read the 6th post and the referenced articles : http://www.stereophile.com/content/coaxial-or-optical-1
Hi folks.

This is the same discussion as 33 years ago when the CD-player was brought into the market: No differences in SQ possible because it is all digital.....

Today at least some know better ;-)
optical cables are unlikely to contribute to sound quality on the Phantom since the data is reclocked and processed by the DSP. I would attribute it to day to day variation rather than cable differences. If you have a PS Audio Noise Harvester, you can see the day to day variation in AC line quality.