Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tidal or Qobuz on the Devialet
Another post from me Huh
Thinking about having the trial of the two services above. How would this work with the Devialet?

Is there a guide to the Devialet I could read? I feel there is so much I dont know about it and the website I think is very basic in its detail. Unless I am not looking in the correct place.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
If you have a computer to hand -- a Mac or PC should work equally well, I think -- then you can do this by:

1) installing the Devialet AIR application and connecting it over your home network to the Devialet (could be wireless, but preferably wired)

2) installing the Qobuz and/or TIDAL desktop players on your computer

3) selecting Devialet AIR as the output "sound card" for the Qobuz/TIDAL players

That's just a quick overview; you might have some questions on the detail if you try it, in which case I'm sure you'll get more help here when you need it.

The alternative would be to get a network streamer -- of which there are many, discussed elsewhere on this forum -- with support for Qobuz and TIDAL, then connect it to an input on your Devialet.  That may involve some extra expense -- you can spend anything from about £300 (e.g. Sonos Connect) upwards depending on your taste -- but in the long run it's perhaps the most convenient way to do things because you don't then need to have a computer running to listen to music.  Again, lots of advice to be had here if that's the way you prefer to go.

Hope that helps a little,

Ian
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
By the way, I agree that there is no adequate documentation on the capabilities of the Devialet kit. It's been a matter of trial and error for many of us here finding out what it can and can't do. Of course that's also a moving target to the extent that firmware updates change its capabilities.
Warwickshire, UK
(13-Mar-2015, 20:20)thumb5 Wrote: If you have a computer to hand -- a Mac or PC should work equally well, I think -- then you can do this by:

1) installing the Devialet AIR application and connecting it over your home network to the Devialet (could be wireless, but preferably wired)

2) installing the Qobuz and/or TIDAL desktop players on your computer

3) selecting Devialet AIR as the output "sound card" for the Qobuz/TIDAL players

That's just a quick overview; you might have some questions on the detail if you try it, in which case I'm sure you'll get more help here when you need it.

The alternative would be to get a network streamer -- of which there are many, discussed elsewhere on this forum -- with support for Qobuz and TIDAL, then connect it to an input on your Devialet.  That may involve some extra expense -- you can spend anything from about £300 (e.g. Sonos Connect) upwards depending on your taste -- but in the long run it's perhaps the most convenient way to do things because you don't then need to have a computer running to listen to music.  Again, lots of advice to be had here if that's the way you prefer to go.

Hope that helps a little,

Ian
Thats excellent thank you. I use an I pad , I have both the apps on this with a view to trialing them both.
I am going to go the route with no expense for now as a new streamer/network player will be purchased when funds are available and when i have decided the best route to go. Thank you once again
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
(13-Mar-2015, 20:27)thumb5 Wrote: By the way, I agree that there is no adequate documentation on the capabilities of the Devialet kit.  It's been a matter of trial and error for many of us here finding out what it can and can't do.  Of course that's also a moving target to the extent that firmware updates change its capabilities.

Its a shame though as I feel i have this amazing new piece of kit and I will be only using it to a small percentage of its potential.
(13-Mar-2015, 20:45)Womaz Wrote: Thats excellent thank you. I use an I pad , I have both the apps on this with a view to trialing them both.
I am going to go the route with no expense for now as a new streamer/network player will be purchased when funds are available and when i have decided the best route to go. Thank you once again

My pleasure.  Just for the avoidance of doubt, you can't run AIR on an iPad (only the remote control app) so you will need a "traditional" computer running OS X or Windows to do it that way.
Warwickshire, UK
Ah Foiled again Smile

Could I connect the I pad to the 200. ?I have a connector i used to use with the other amp.
(13-Mar-2015, 20:57)Womaz Wrote: Ah Foiled again  Smile

Could I connect the I pad to the 200. ?I have a connector i used to use with the other amp.

No, others have tried.
search the forum for who has, but basically the Devialet can't chat with an iPad Dodgy
Devialet 200 <> Bowers & Wilkins 805 Diamond <> Aurender N100 <> Clearaudio Concept MC <> Audioquest Rocket 44/Coffee USB

The Netherlands
(13-Mar-2015, 21:05)Eddye Wrote:
(13-Mar-2015, 20:57)Womaz Wrote: Ah Foiled again  Smile

No, others have tried.
search the forum for who has, but basically the Devialet can't chat with an iPad Dodgy

Thanks that at least saves me the time Smile
I guess you mean by taking the output from the iPad's headphone socket and feeding it directly to a stereo line input on the Devialet?  You could re-configure the "Phono 2" inputs as line inputs, for example.  It might be worth a try, but I'd expect that the sound quality won't be a patch on what you'd get via AIR.  Also, you might have to experiment a bit with signal levels -- be careful with the volume, just in case.
Warwickshire, UK