Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To DPM or not? That is the question.
Apologies, but what is DPM?
Never mind, I found it!

https://www.sarte-audio.com/sites/defaul..._hires.pdf

Devialet’s DPM (Dynamic Power Management) utility allows its custom switchmode supply to track the demands of the audio signal – it’s the ‘green’ option and assists in reducing waste heat, but even sitting idle the Original d’Atelier can get very warm. If you switch DPM off, it’s worth physically separating the two units.
Expert 120, DPM Off definitely sounds better. With my very resolving Egea3 there is a pretty big difference.

DPM ON: The sounds is like Devialet was trying to save energy by furthermore DSPing the sound data. As if some loudness was going on or something. If anyone knows the difference between dithered and undithered sounddata, DPM ON sounds like no dithering was going on and the data was truncated. Maybe to save on processing power? This makes a more clear and brighter presentation, but also somewhat "wrong". quiet sounds are harder to recognice. highs are more "airy" and more "glassy". Too bright sometimes. Bass is too cold but very punchy. The instruments don't sound right anymore.
It's like you turn the volume internally up so you don't have to turn the amp up. We did this in the good old mp3 days, brutally butchering the sound data in winamp by turning up the volume gain over 0 + normalizing the signal and what not so it sounded louder at the end. With all the heavy metal i was listening to, and shitty speakers, who would care.

Like someone said before: it could also be effects of some "underpowering" of the speakers which occures especially in combination with SAM.
If DPM wasn't recogniceable then Devialet would have implemented it in some firmware update. Why make it optional. This idea comes from all the green hype. So you can write down the lowest power consumption in the specs. its a sort of cheat.

DPM OFF: more substance in the sound. quiet sounds are easier to hear. Also more bass enery - on the warmer side. Instruments sound right. Thats how the music should sound like
(27-Mar-2019, 12:36)beamjimmy Wrote: Expert 120, DPM Off definitely sounds better. With my very resolving Egea3 there is a pretty big difference.

DPM ON: The sounds is like Devialet was trying to save energy by furthermore DSPing the sound data. As if some loudness was going on or something. If anyone knows the difference between dithered and undithered sounddata, DPM ON sounds like no dithering was going on and the data was truncated. Maybe to save on processing power? This makes a more clear and brighter presentation, but also somewhat "wrong". quiet sounds are harder to recognice. highs are more "airy" and more "glassy". Too bright sometimes. Bass is too cold but very punchy. The instruments don't sound right anymore.
It's like you turn the volume internally up so you don't have to turn the amp up. We did this in the good old mp3 days, brutally butchering the sound data in winamp by turning up the volume gain over 0 + normalizing the signal and what not so it sounded louder at the end. With all the heavy metal i was listening to, and shitty speakers, who would care.

Like someone said before: it could also be effects of some "underpowering" of the speakers which occures especially in combination with SAM.
If DPM wasn't recogniceable then Devialet would have implemented it in some firmware update. Why make it optional. This idea comes from all the green hype. So you can write down the lowest power consumption in the specs. its a sort of cheat.

DPM OFF: more substance in the sound. quiet sounds are easier to hear. Also more bass enery - on the warmer side. Instruments sound right. Thats how the music should sound like

Same finding, my Expert 120 sound better with DPM turn off.
Devialet Expert 120 | SF Electa Amator II | Nordost power & speaker cables | Raspberry Pi CM4 Streamer | Devialet Gemini | Vancouver, Canada.
Will check with 220 Pro / CI board - only thing 440 Pro needs due to temperature separated placement.
(03-Mar-2020, 11:01)markush Wrote: Will check with 220 Pro / CI board - only thing 440 Pro needs due to temperature separated placement.

Indeed, it would be better to place them separated preferably side by side.

** And please do use the RCA-to-AES/XLR digital connection between the 2 Devialets that brings forth a ton of goods ... I use AQ Wild and am delighted with it. AQ Diamond is also great.
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
Without DPM, I've managed once to overheat my 220 Pro Companion, which was below Master - stacked. After 5-6 hours of listening supply temp went to 72°C (the case was VERY hot) and at first right channel (Companion) started to sound distorted and finally it went silent. I've turned on DPM and separated Master from Companion with the "shelf" made of glass - after that, max supply temp is never above 58-59°C - 4-5°C higher than Master.

So - don't use stacked configuration. It's not good for Devialet.

[Image: IMG-20200221-221028.jpg]
Devialet Expert 440 Pro | Dynaudio Confidence 50 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
Anthem MRX 720 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20
LG OLED 77 CX | LG OLED 65 C7

you will get the lowest temperatures if you wall-mount the Devialets. This has some sort of chimney effect. And you can read the display.
Oh great - where did you get this glas shelf?!
It's custom made.
Devialet Expert 440 Pro | Dynaudio Confidence 50 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
Anthem MRX 720 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20
LG OLED 77 CX | LG OLED 65 C7