Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To SAM or not to SAM, that is the question ...
I wrote above. Not just pressing - holding for 3-5 sec.
Devialet Expert 440 Pro | Dynaudio Confidence 50 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
Anthem MRX 720 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20
LG OLED 77 CX | LG OLED 65 C7

(06-Jan-2022, 16:50)derekcohen Wrote: I don't know how to do that. I tried using the remote buttons - set up the middle one for SAM. However, pressing it only switches SAM on or off, not a %. What do I do?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Use the 3rd button on the remote and keep pressing its, not holding it. First press will bring up Balance, the second Bass, the third Treble, the fourth SAM if  you have a SAM configuration loaded or it will bring up a menu if you don't have a SAM configuration, a fifth press brings up that menu if you have a SAM configuration loaded. Further presses go through that same cycle again. Use the remote's dial to change the setting, clockwise to increase, anticlockwise to reduce. Do a long press on the 3rd button to exit these adjustments after you've finished changing settings.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
It's not impossible that I forgot the details - my current speakers don't have SAM profile. Previous speakers did have.
Devialet Expert 440 Pro | Dynaudio Confidence 50 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
Anthem MRX 720 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20
LG OLED 77 CX | LG OLED 65 C7

(06-Jan-2022, 22:24)Delija Wrote: It's not impossible that I forgot the details - my current speakers don't have SAM profile. Previous speakers did have.

As far as I can tell, SAM works rather well with my setup.  Using a D200 with Dynaudio Focus 360 , the SAM definitely improves the bass response.
1, ATC SCM 40 V2 speakers,  SVS PC4000 subwoofer,  Devialet Expert Pro 1000, ,  Ultrasone Edition 15, Ultrasone Edition 15 Veritas,  ,Chord Hugo TT, Magnetar UBR-800, GeerFab DBoB, OTL Headphone amp

2. Dynaudio Focus 360 , Devialet Expert Pro 220, Reavon UBR X-110, GeerFab DBoB
SAM. definitely. Waffled at first. I’ve concluded that SAM is optimizing the sound. My son’s system comprises Expert Pro 220, driving Magico S3 gen 1. Level set at 20%. Sounds good at 0% too. 100% sound becomes slightly but perceptibly muddied as compared to the already excellent flat frequency response of the S3 ‘au natural’. SAM enlivens the center image. Things pop out toward sweet-spot more for a more engaging experience.
A bit of an update from my end.

The complicating factor is that we all have different speakers and cables, and so your experience may differ from my own. In addition, I received new interconnects - Geoff at Aurealis does wonderful work: Furutech pure silver for digital connects to an Oppo CD, and a Cambridge CXN (2) (for Tidal and FLAC), and a Spiral 2 silver and copper helix wire for phono connects (to Supex 900 IV). As the cables changed, I stayed with 10.1.0 for some continuity. The speakers are Kef LS50 Meta and the sub is a Kef KC 62, which is connected piggyback with the speakers as this 120 Expert does not have a pre-out.

The cables certainly tightened up the sound compared to those before (Audioquest Evergreen). The phono cable also now revealed more detail with vinyl (and the previous custom made NB Speaker interconnects were no slouches).

As you can see, there were many changes in the system, and evaluating SAM was complicated. I tried a variety of combinations once the cable sound was set.

Currently, SAM is engaged at 45%, which works especially well with the sub when the system is playing at lower levels. The KC62 is crossed over at 60 Hz. I will reduce SAM for higher levels.

The effect of this combination has been to alter the sound stage, creating a much taller image. In all, the speakers disappear and detail is very good.

I'd plan to play around with 8.1.3 after a while. Unfortunately 7.1.3 is out as there is no SAM for the Metas, only the earlier LS50. The technician at Devialet warned me against using the LS50 profile for the Metas.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Thanks Derek for that great information.

I find the same, that the Expert is very revealing of different cables. As an all-in-one device for on-line streaming, the 220 pro is superbly transparent, that is of course when fed the right stream with an appropriately good cable. I say this because my experience has been that with the wrong usb cable (We’ve used some poor ones I’ll admit) the sound quality suffers noticeably. It’s surprising how speaker cables affect the sound quality with the 220. I am pretty sure I could convince naysayers with a listening session. We don’t have obscenely expensive speaker cables, but the Synergistic Research Foundations 3mtr      coupled with the Synergistic Research cable risers are very detailed and transparent. This cable has a solid silver core too. Another great sounding speaker cable is the QED Genesis Silver Spiral 10ft. That cable leaves absolutely nothing out, sounds very natural and neutral, and throws a very big 3D soundstage with great separation. The new QED reference cables are apparently even better. I also like the sound of Black Cat cables. We brought home the upper mid range Audioquests to demo - can’t remember exactly which ones, but they were about $3,700. I didn’t like them. They sounded weirdly unnatural and forced. The SRs QEDs and Black Cats sounded better to me.

SAM is a decision which will be different for each listener because I think its room-dependent and as you suggest, cable dependent. Its a tougher decision for us too because the S3 is so incredibly flat and great sounding without SAM engaged. What helps us, is programming the mute on/off button (center of the three bottom buttons) on the remote in the configurator to include SAM toggle on/off. That way you can sit in your listening position and determine what’s going on.

I will bend your ear some more, and add that in extensive listening, our conclusion is the USB input for streaming purposes is much better audio than airplay and also airplay-eth. Mind you, Airplay still sounds groovy and is so convenient.

Considering the nature of a complete solution, the Expert is a great value. The DAC is reference class. The downside is that if one wishes to use outboard DACs, all analogue signals are re-digitized. This negates the full advantage any outboard DAC might offer. Some of the outboard DAC’s unique character might be muted. I have confirmed this with other true analogue rigs, which allow these alternative DACs to show their true character. So I would consel a friend who had, lets say, a Rockna Wavedream and just had to use that, to then look at an alternative pre/amp solution. Clarifying this, I will also add that I find  the DAC in the Expert to be superb, especially for hi-res streaming from Qobuz. Have I heard better sound (as I judge it) from other separate much more expensive multi-box systems; Yes. Do they offer anywhere near the sound quality per buck of the Expert Pro 220; no, in my opinion, they do not. I still believe that for voice, let’s say Peggy Lee, the Expert is up there will the best of the best.