Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To upgrade or not?
Hi @Sailor4W,

two good options Wink

https://www.audio-markt.de/market/devial...4598770776

https://www.audio-markt.de/market/devial...6951432324
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria
(09-May-2020, 20:08)K4680 Wrote: Hi @Sailor4W,

two good options Wink

https://www.audio-markt.de/market/devial...4598770776

https://www.audio-markt.de/market/devial...6951432324

Thanks for the links!
SonicTransporter i5 - AirPort Extreme - Devialet Expert 120 - ATC SCM 19 v1
I would give an in-house test of the Benchmark. Devialet has offered to upgrade my D200LE for similar sum to a 220 Core Infinity. Several times in fact but I have refrained because I have not seen Devialet too responsive with support of any kind, whether it is drivers, AIR or SAM database. Plus, I have read what look like very bad stories over the years in this forum which seem to reinforce that perception. It is a pity because the amplifier is great and I love my D200. It works fine over Ethernet with Air.

For comparison, I have also a 10 year old Linn Majik DSi, sounds very nice and warm, not as powerful, but one thing that Linn does very well is always support it, even after 10 years I keep receiving updates. Would be good that Devialet would do similar.

If you love the concept of single does it all box you can either find other 220s as other folks have pointed or you could try Linn or Naim. Personally I will still stay with Devialet and may get another D200 to go to 2x200, but for now I am more into putting money on good speakers. Looking at the Atohm EURUS potentially.
Amps: Devialet 200, Linn Majik DSi, Pioneer SC-91, Chord Hugo
Speakers: Elac Debut 2.0 B6.2, Tannoy XT6, Triangle Esprit Antal EZ
Headphones: AKG  K-501, Phillips SHP-9500, PSB-M4U, Sony SBH-80, Monster Wireless, Sony MDR-7506, Sennheiser HD 280 Pro
Streamers: Sonos, OS-X Yosemite, El Capitan, High Sierra, Windows-8, Windows-10, Raspberry-Pi
(10-May-2020, 05:08)Coffee_fan Wrote: I would give an in-house test of the Benchmark. Devialet has offered to upgrade my D200LE for similar sum to a 220 Core Infinity. Several times in fact but I have refrained because I have not seen Devialet too responsive with support of any kind, whether it is drivers, AIR or SAM database. Plus, I have read what look like very bad stories over the years in this forum which seem to reinforce that perception. It is a pity because the amplifier is great and I love my D200. It works fine over Ethernet with Air.

For comparison, I have also a 10 year old Linn Majik DSi, sounds very nice and warm, not as powerful, but one thing that Linn does very well is always support it, even after 10 years I keep receiving updates. Would be good that Devialet would do similar.

If you love the concept of single does it all box you can either find other 220s as other folks have pointed or you could try Linn or Naim. Personally I will still stay with Devialet and may get another D200 to go to 2x200, but for now I am more into putting money on good speakers. Looking at the Atohm EURUS potentially.

I must say I am also a bit bothered regarding Devialet's responsiveness. Particularly with respect to the disastrous review found at Audio Science Review. Never mind, my perspective might be a bit different, as all the discussions concerning RAAT protocols, AIR, etc. don't really concern me as I am using a renderer to feed my Devialet.

Again, it's a great piece of equipment, but an upgrade in this price category is a bit hefty. For this price range, I could almost get a new, state-of-the-art Benchmark combo that to see looks a bit more flexible than going the 220 Pro route. But it's not an easy decision.

Speakers, of course, might make an even greater difference. I do like my ATC SCM19s (v1). There's no SAM available for the SCM19 v1. I did try SAM on them, but I didn't like the outcome at all. Most of the time, I have the impression as if SAM doesn't kick in. But the sound to me seems to be over-focussed in some strange way. So I immediately de-activated SAM again. The ATC SCM19 match almost perfectly with the Devialet, I very much like the lean and clear sound of the combo.
SonicTransporter i5 - AirPort Extreme - Devialet Expert 120 - ATC SCM 19 v1