Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Toasted Power Filter Board
An update on the “strong burning smell” issue I posted a while back.  In the 7.1.3 thread.  First a recap.

With the problematic early 8.x releases I reverted to 7.1.3 on my D200.  Sound was fantastic, but after a long listening session at volume I noticed a pretty strong electrical burning smell.  Temperatures were all within tolerances (high 40’s if memory serves) but something was definitely awry.  I ended up shutting down and pulling the power for good measure.

Next few listens were at lower volumes, but the smell remained, and I still pulled the power after each use to avoid house related disasters.  From hitting this forum and seeing others experienced the same I reported it to my dealer, the wonderful Seven Integration.

It seems Devialet had a bunch of power filter boards that had problems (my D200 is late 2014)  I was offered three solutions – Devialet would pick up and do the board swap, Devialet would supply the board to Seven Integration and they would do it, or I could do it myself without any warranty impact.  I opted for the latter as I didn’t fancy trusting a combination of the British & French courier services with my kit!

It was an easy swap – there’s a video showing how to get the case off, and the filter board itself was four allen screws.  A couple of photo’s are attached, which hopefully show the damage.  First one from the board in situ, showing the scorching near the word “part”, and another showing the melted components from the other side once removed near the word “F2”  Now I’m assuming this board does some kind of power filtering/cleaning?  Perhaps one of you with more knowledge of electronics could shed some light?

In summary, if you smell anything odd it’s pretty easy to get it sorted, and Devialet seem happy to deal with the problem.  I’ve been assured no further damage could have been caused, and it wasn’t directly related to the 7.1.3 release.  On the latter point I’m less convinced, as it happened the day I made the change.  Anyway, it’s now sounding fine on the official 8.1.3 release.  Playing it really loud, just to be sure……

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Devialet 200, MacMini, Roon control via iPad, B&W CM10 S2 Speakers.
That's interesting that it appears the fuses did not blow.

Are you expecting to replace the Schurter IEC PEM as well?

Kenreau
Synology DS412+> Aurender S10> AQ Wel AES > Devialet 200> AQ Castle Rock Bi-Wired > Vandersteen 5As.
(11-Aug-2015, 16:30)kenreau Wrote: That's interesting that it appears the fuses did not blow.

Are you expecting to replace the Schurter IEC PEM as well?

Kenreau

No mention of needing to do that from Devialet, so for now I'm assuming all is well from the board swap.
I think that must have been exactly what happened to my 400 companion too. I wish I'd been offered a chance to swap the boards myself without shipping the whole thing to Devialet and back - I'd have taken that in a shot. Glad it all worked out for you, thanks for the update.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Vincent, would you mind sharing the video how to opening devialet and swapping the board? There may be details we could learn about potential mods to devialet without opening our own.
(12-Aug-2015, 23:21)warpeon Wrote: Vincent, would you mind sharing the video how to opening devialet and swapping the board? There may be details we could learn about potential mods to devialet without opening our own.
Here you go - https://vimeo.com/98140701
Now I'm confused. Devialet provided a video tutorial for installing an optional sub pre-out board to show you how to replace a fried power filter board all the way over on the opposite side of the primary board!?!
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!
(13-Aug-2015, 12:42)Manoet Wrote: Now I'm confused. Devialet provided a tutorial video for installing an optional sub pre-out board to show you how to replace a fried power filter board all the way on the opposite side of component!?!
Correct! They provided the video just to show how to take the thing apart - must be the only one they have. From there on in it was simply a matter of swapping the correct board. Apologies for any confusion.
Thank you! One more question if I may: did your bottom lift off and separate from the digital board like the one in video or did the digital board come away with bottom, held in place by the blue heat transfer pad under it?
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!
Apparently the Class D Board coming away (stuck with the thermal pad) when you remove the bottom cover is very common with units that have seen a bit of usage. I asked a dealer about this when it happened to me.