Poll: Do you use tone controls?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
35.37%
52 35.37%
No
60.54%
89 60.54%
Yes but it has a negative impact on SQ
2.72%
4 2.72%
No because it has a negative impact on SQ
1.36%
2 1.36%
Total 147 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tone controls
Not sure if you can call this a tweak but I hardly ever see the words tone controls being used. I use mine all the time. In fact, that was one of the main reasons I went the Devialet route. The way I see it, I'm not so much an 'audiophile' but more someone who enjoys music. If I can't enjoy a song just because it's too bright then I tone it down a bit. And because my music collection contains heaps of badly recorded material I need to tone it down quite often.

When I read about cable selection that makes your system sound a bit more relaxed I always think, can't you get the sound you want by using the tone controls?

I'm not going to start a thread about a conspiracy theory but since tone controls faded away from high end gear, all people had to change the sound of their systems was cable choice or new equipment. (assuming the set up is 100%) Nice for audio dealers Wink

I'm hoping to get it right and want to try setting up a poll with the options YES, NO, YES but I do find it has a bad impact on SQ and No because it has a bad impact on SQ.

I would also like to hear what kind of music you play to get some idea of which music type needs more or less adjusting.

Cheers,

Pim
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Hi Pim,
with my setup there is nearly no music left that sounds so bad that I want to use the tone controls. One Devialet is already producing less distortions than any other amp I tried, but especially in bridged mode (800) there is nearly no record left that sounds so bad that I would use the tone controls. You can always hear that it sounds "right".
And honestly, records that are recorded so badly that I would consider using tone controls is nothing I would spent my time with listening.
If there is a record that I really like but the sound is very bad then I would create my own remasterd version, but only if no official remaster is available.

regards,
Bernd
I actually haven't tried the tone controls. I have them active in my configuration but since I stopped using the mounting frame I can't see the display and am not likely to remember the button sequence on the remote needed to do what I want, and I would prefer to adjust whilst listening.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

It would be a small but helpful step forward if the tone controls were accessible via the iThing app.

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
Sonos Connect (W4S) > Devialet 200 > Vivid V1.5
Silver Phantoms (just the two)
London
(29-Sep-2014, 08:37)Vivialet Wrote: If there is a record that I really like but the sound is very bad then I would create my own remasterd version, but only if no official remaster is available.
regards,
Bernd

How is this done?? Do you mean that you create your own version with a bit of frequency equalisation, or are you doing something even cleverer??
(29-Sep-2014, 13:21)Jwg1749 Wrote: It would be a small but helpful step forward if the tone controls were accessible via the iThing app.

Or put a display on the remote.
I used to use them at the start, for the very reasons outlined. I have heaps of music that isn't that well recorded. However, I ecperimented with speaker placement to reach an acceptable compromise. Then SAM came along and I've had to move my speakers further away from the back wall to reduce the bass. I suppose I could dial SAM down, but there are so many variables to play with! If the tone controls were available via the iOS remote, I'd use them more. I don't use the supplied remote at all - it's in a drawer.
Auralic Aries G2 > Kii Control > Kii Audio 3 BXT
(29-Sep-2014, 17:17)Confused Wrote:
(29-Sep-2014, 08:37)Vivialet Wrote: If there is a record that I really like but the sound is very bad then I would create my own remasterd version, but only if no official remaster is available.
regards,
Bernd

How is this done?? Do you mean that you create your own version with a bit of frequency equalisation, or are you doing something even cleverer??

that is exactly what I would do. Then you can change the frequency response exactly as it is required. Mostly I do not hear a full record but only 2 or 3 tracks. Using tone controls would require a permanent change of the values. And without the configurator you cannot change the frequency for the tone controls. Maybe one record requires a reduction at 10khz and another a boost at 4 khz. So here it is much easier to add a permanent "tone control" to the recording.
Now I'm confused! (sorry Confused. Didn't mean to steal your stage name)
How do you make changes to a song permanently?
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
there are enough applications available for Windows. Soundforge, Wavelab, ...even lots of free ones.
At first I would always try to get a good remaster. Only if this is not available I would spent time on this...
Most good audio software is working like this: while you listen to the music you can change the sound by using certain plugins like a graphic or parametric EQ, compressors, expanders, ...
The result can then be saved to a new file. You should always save the original files as your remasters also correct potential problems of your current audio setup. If you buy new speakers your remasters are maybe sounding bad again...