Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transfiguration Proteus MC?
Hi,

I can get a good deal on a Transfiguration Proteus MC, and wondering if the low output would be a problem for the Devialet (220 Expert Pro) in terms of noise. I assume not, but any advice would be appreciated. I don't want to make a purchase mistake. My plan was to buy an Ortofon Cadenze Blue, which has a healthy output of 0.5 mV but can get a good deal on this cart, so very tempted

Specifications

Output voltage: 0.2 mV
Internal Impedance 1 ohm
Recommended loading > 10 Ohms

Kind Regards,
Douglas
220 Pro/CI, Well Tempered Versalex/Kiseki PurpleHeart, QNAP HS 251+ NAS/Roon, Furutech e-TP86 power distributor, Audoquest NRG10 Power Cable, Furutech Flux-50 filter, Furutect Powerflux Power Cable, Furutech Speakerflux Speaker Cables, Sonus Faber Stradivari. 
I think you can actually test this for yourself. Use RAM to set your Devialet for a 0.2mV cartridge, then set the Devialet's volume to the higher end of your normal listening volume when playing vinyl with your current cartridge. Do not actually play anything, but this will provide a practical demonstration of exactly how much hiss you will have in your system with a 0.2mV cartridge, before the needle hits the groove.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(13-Jan-2020, 14:00)Confused Wrote: I think you can actually test this for yourself.  Use RAM to set your Devialet for a 0.2mV cartridge, then set the Devialet's volume to the higher end of your normal listening volume when playing vinyl with your current cartridge.  Do not actually play anything, but this will provide a practical demonstration of exactly how much hiss you will have in your system with a 0.2mV cartridge, before the needle hits the groove.
Thank you for the advice, good idea. I have one problem, I am immigrating to Canada soon, and my system us in storage, ready to be shipped, so I cannot perform any tests.
220 Pro/CI, Well Tempered Versalex/Kiseki PurpleHeart, QNAP HS 251+ NAS/Roon, Furutech e-TP86 power distributor, Audoquest NRG10 Power Cable, Furutech Flux-50 filter, Furutect Powerflux Power Cable, Furutech Speakerflux Speaker Cables, Sonus Faber Stradivari. 
It would be great to hear from users with low output  carts, < 0.3 mV
(13-Jan-2020, 19:03)douglas Wrote: It would be great to hear from users with low output  carts, < 0.3 mV
I wouldn’t touch it with a barge pole unless you intend to use a separate phono amp (some will recommend step up transformers but I will not because I don’t like their non-linear performance). My Ortofon Kontrapunct B has an output of 0.47mV and using the Devialet phonostage, it hisses even after exploring all configuration options. To my mind, 0.2mV would be a non-starter noise wise.
Qobuz, roon RAAT, Audiostore Prestige XL Optical, Synology NAS. Devialet Expert 250 Pro C/I. World Audio Design (DIY) KLS3 MkIII speakers, upgraded crossover and SEAS T25CF002 Millennium tweeters. Ethernet. Blue Jeans (Belden 5000) 10 gauge 5T00UP speaker cable.
(13-Jan-2020, 21:13)Greg Wrote:
(13-Jan-2020, 19:03)douglas Wrote: It would be great to hear from users with low output  carts, < 0.3 mV
I wouldn’t touch it with a barge pole unless you intend to use a separate phono amp (some will recommend step up transformers but I will not because I don’t like their non-linear performance). My Ortofon Kontrapunct B has an output of 0.47mV and using the Devialet phonostage, it hisses even after exploring all configuration options. To my mind, 0.2mV would be a non-starter noise wise.
Hi Greg.  I came to the same conclusion and decided not to purchase the cartridge.  It has to be said that my current Rega Apheta 2 with 0.35mV sounds wonderful with no discernable noise, but I do also think 0.2 is a big ask. Kind regards, Douglas
(13-Jan-2020, 13:48)douglas Wrote: Hi,

I can get a good deal on a Transfiguration Proteus MC, and wondering if the low output would be a problem for the Devialet (220 Expert Pro) in terms of noise. I assume not, but any advice would be appreciated. I don't want to make a purchase mistake. My plan was to buy an Ortofon Cadenze Blue, which has a healthy output of 0.5 mV but can get a good deal on this cart, so very tempted

Specifications

Internal Impedance 1 ohm

Kind Regards,
Douglas
The Proteus would probably sound wonderful into a BMC MCCI http://bmc-audio.com/index.php/bmc-phono-mcci-30.html due to it's low internal impedance, but directly into a Devialet I'd suspect you'd get too much noise.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(15-Jan-2020, 18:59)ogs Wrote:
(13-Jan-2020, 13:48)douglas Wrote: Hi,

Specifications

Internal Impedance 1 ohm

Kind Regards,
Douglas
The Proteus would probably sound wonderful into a BMC MCCI http://bmc-audio.com/index.php/bmc-phono-mcci-30.html due to it's low internal impedance, but directly into a Devialet I'd suspect you'd get too much noise.
That is a lovely phono stage.