Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trigger cable and the Configurator
Video 
All,

Quick question to any that may have some thoughts to share.  I have the trigger cable installed between the two units and have clicked on the "Trig in" on the master in Configurator.  I inadvertently clicked on the AES on the slave unit and the graphic changed to show the line drawn between the two units.  
(see screen shot below)
This makes me wonder if the trigger is not talking to the slave unless an input is selected on the slave.  
I had assumed the trigger was sharing temperature and related information between the two units even when "trig in" is toggled on but a slave input not selected with the line drawn as per below. Hope this makes sense.

Cheers,
WDW
[attachment=2085]
(16-Jun-2017, 21:38)Wdw Wrote: All,

Quick question to any that may have some thoughts to share.  I have the trigger cable installed between the two units and have clicked on the "Trig in" on the master in Configurator.  I inadvertently clicked on the AES on the slave unit and the graphic changed to show the line drawn between the two units.  
(see screen shot below)
This makes me wonder if the trigger is not talking to the slave unless an input is selected on the slave.  
I had assumed the trigger was sharing temperature and related information between the two units even when "trig in" is toggled on but a slave input not selected with the line drawn as per below.  Hope this makes sense.

Cheers,
WDW

If your first configuration showed no line between the trigger sockets, then no trigger cable is needed. 

If you aren't using any inputs on the Companion, you don't need to connect the trigger cable.

Here's my configuration as an example:     
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
(17-Jun-2017, 01:37)Axel Wrote:

(see screen shot below)
I had assumed the trigger was sharing temperature and related information between the two units even when "trig in" is toggled on but a slave input not selected with the line drawn as per below.  Hope this makes sense.

Cheers,
WDW

If your first configuration showed no line between the trigger sockets, then no trigger cable is needed. 

If you aren't using any inputs on the Companion, you don't need to connect the trigger cable.

Always was under the impression the trigger cable performed a "system's maintenance" function such as thermal management even if not using any ''slave' input".  So are you saying that if not using any of the slave inputs I do not need the trigger cable at all?

WDW
(17-Jun-2017, 01:52)Wdw Wrote:
(17-Jun-2017, 01:37)Axel Wrote:

(see screen shot below)

Cheers,
WDW

Always was under the impression the trigger cable performed a "system's maintenance" function such as thermal management even if not using any ''slave' input".  So are you saying that if not using any of the slave inputs I do not need the trigger cable at all?  

WDW

Yes, that's correct. No inputs on my Slave are used, only one pair of outputs, so no link cable needed. If you look at my configuration, the link on the Slave is greyed out and unable to be switched on.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England

(see screen shot below)

Cheers,
WDW

I don't think you need to use the trigger cable if you are not using the inputs from the Companion. Lowering temperature difference is NOT in their specification and it is not confirmed by their ENGINEER.  I suggest do not connect any extra cable if its no needed.
I currently have the trigger cable and an RCA-RCA digital between master and companion with inputs from AV receiver and sub into the companion.

I have been considering using an RCA-AES (DH Labs D110) after reading about perceived improvements in sound.

After reading this thread and playing with the configurator it appears that if I go with the D110 cable then I cannot have any inputs to the companion?

And I would not need the trigger cable either?

Thanks
Innuos Statement, D1000 Pro CI, Shunyata Denali, Alpha v2, Delta v2 and Venom NR12 power cords, Sigma v1 speaker cables, Omega USB, PMC IB2se, Townshend Isolation Podiums.

Marantz SR7012, OPPO BDP 105D, PMC OB1s (Rears), PMC Twenty C (Centre).

South East Wales, UK
(01-Aug-2017, 12:52)Carcrashboy Wrote: I currently have the trigger cable and an RCA-RCA digital between master and companion with inputs from AV receiver and sub into the companion.

I have been considering using an RCA-AES (DH Labs D110) after reading about perceived improvements in sound.

After reading this thread and playing with the configurator it appears that if I go with the D110 cable then I cannot have any inputs to the companion?

Thanks

Both points correct!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(01-Aug-2017, 13:09)Confused Wrote:
(01-Aug-2017, 12:52)Carcrashboy Wrote: I currently have the trigger cable and an RCA-RCA digital between master and companion with inputs from AV receiver and sub into the companion.

Thanks

Both points correct!
Thanks!!

Then I will tomorrow (as luckily rain forecast) swop the master and companion and recable to remove inputs to companion, and order a DH Labs D100...
Innuos Statement, D1000 Pro CI, Shunyata Denali, Alpha v2, Delta v2 and Venom NR12 power cords, Sigma v1 speaker cables, Omega USB, PMC IB2se, Townshend Isolation Podiums.

Marantz SR7012, OPPO BDP 105D, PMC OB1s (Rears), PMC Twenty C (Centre).

South East Wales, UK
So help me understand... is the purpose of the trigger cable solely to enable inputs on the Companion? If I want to enable the Pre-outs on the companion (for headphones) but do not need inputs on the Companion, I don't need a trigger cable but I will need to run the chaining cable SPDIF -> AES/EBU. Is that correct?
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
(01-Aug-2017, 16:13)mdconnelly Wrote: So help me understand... is the purpose of the trigger cable solely to enable inputs on the Companion?    If I want to enable the Pre-outs on the companion (for headphones) but do not need inputs on the Companion, I don't need a trigger cable but I will need to run the chaining cable SPDIF -> AES/EBU.    Is that correct?
I'm not sure about the exact purpose of the trigger cable, but apart from that you are correct. This is exactly how I run my setup.
South Coast England