Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trinnov Amethyst
(01-Apr-2016, 13:10)Confused Wrote: How are you finding the 'network player' aspects of the Amethyst?

Hi Confused,

I configured the software to use the network player yesterday. And started to listen to this network input.
What can I say ? This is absolutely awesome Wink

I was pleased by the ease of use of the interface of Jplayer/Jremote for playing the music located on the MacMini and bubbleupnpserver/Linn Kazoo for streaming Qobuz. This all worked very flawlessly and with little efforts. As much as I like Audirvana as a player and the efforts of Damien, its developer, to support it, I am sometimes tired by stability issues. This does not seem to be the case at this stage with the software I am using to stream.

As far as SQ is concerned, I have been used in the past 2 months to the 'presence' which is given to the sound by the Mutec cascade. I am sometimes missing this 'presence' a little bit when listening to the Network input. But this really is of the second or third order when compared to the other improvements offered by this machine (incredible 3D soundstage, perfect tonal balance in accordance with the room, interesting new sound signature of the internal DAC, aso). So I am on the same page with Guillaume : this is a very warm recommendation from me. I have the feeling this might well be what I expected when buying the Devialet and that my quest for better SQ will stop there for a big while Wink
I thought I would share this post from a French Devialet enthusiast, who recently switched from a D800 to a D900.
This gentleman is remarkable in the sense that he is so found of music and capable with his hands and understanding of music that he has developed multiple versions of loudspeakers, and published the drawings of these loudspeakers for others to do it themselves.

https://translate.google.com/translate?s...t=&act=url

My point is to underline his focus on correcting the tone curve of the speakers in the high range :
"1) the enclosure is optimized to work with the Devialet source Mac iTunes-Wave-AIR, and if possible PS Audio P10 on the sector. His answer does not try to be linear measurements (in an anechoic chamber), but to make them credible stamps by setting already mentioned in these pages, that is to say down between 1000 and 10000 Hz regularly to about 6 Db, only means a very transparent system and set not to appear "overdefined disembodied" "

I tried this idea with the Amethyst and this results in the following target curve. I have to admit that the results are very good, in the sense that they are less 'shiny' and more realistic.

Can certainly be reproduced with other room correction systems.

[Image: 705615TargetCurveJalucine.png]
This is a post on how I used the Amethyst to help me sort out the bass problems I had with my B&W 802D3 and my D900 : http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?t...1#pid38741
After quite a long fight to get rid of a modal problem I had in my room, and which caused a bump in frequency response of the room around 30 Hz, and a lot of troughs between 40 and 70 Hz, I could finally overcome these difficulties by spending considerable time adjusting my listening position, as well as the position of my loudspeakers.

I observed considerable improvements when moving the listening position to 1/4th of the length of the room, in order to get rid of backward reverberation. I then finely adjusted the speakers, using the Trinnov as a measuring tool to adjust the frequency and phase response of each of the speakers.

I finally reached a satisfactory situation, complying with this guideline (http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/wp-cont...ndards.pdf), which I found interesting.

I am now within the limits of :
  • +/- 10db at 1/24th octave resolution within the bass range (20 to 300 Hz)
  • +/- 5db at 1/3rd octave resolution within the bass range
  • +/- 3db at 1/3rd octave resolution within the rest of the spectrum
  • +/- 3db at 1/3rd octave resolution between the two channels
all these measures have been made before correction by the Trinnov Amethyst.

What can I say : when I re-calibrated the Amethyst and started to listen to music, this was absolutely jaw dropping ; I would sincerely encourage all of those of you who are excited by the sound stage restitution to have an audition of this machine, which offers absolutely incredible sensations.

SAM from Devialet is an interesting technology in the sense that it helps improve the phase adjustment of speakers ; but this does not take the room parameters into consideration. Trinnov Amethyst does the same after measuring reflection of the sound waves on the walls and provides a very clean frequency and phase response which takes all the parameters of your room into consideration.

Absolutely wonderful !
HI SwissBear
I am also considered adding to my system trinnov .
I have several questions and I hope you can share your experience
1.Did you compare Amethyst to ST2 ? if yes , can you please share with us the deference
2.From end user experience , using trinnov demand any acoustics experience or it more plug and play (compering to Amarra IRC for example , which is simple ).
3.Did you used any vendor support ? if yes , can you share with us

Thanks
Devialet 400, 
Ayon Raptor S
Townshend maximum super tweeters
MAC mini ,Amarra +IRC .
Digital -Telos Audio Gold Reference MKII ,
Speakers:Analysis plus Clear Oval
Power :Graditech - Voima 1

(18-May-2016, 10:44)windler Wrote: HI SwissBear
I am also considered adding to my system trinnov .
I have several questions and I hope you can share your experience
1.Did you compare Amethyst to ST2 ? if yes , can you please share with us the deference
2.From end user experience , using trinnov  demand any acoustics  experience  or it more plug and play (compering to Amarra IRC  for example , which is simple ).
3.Did you used any vendor support ? if yes , can you share with us

Thanks

Hi Windler,

1. I have not directly compared the ST2-HiFi with the Amethyst. What I heard from other parties who have been using both is that :
  • the room correction engine is the same
  • the difference lies in the DAC of the Amethyst which is slightly better than the one of the ST2-HiFi
  • the functional differences (Amethyst includes a complete pre-amp, with numerous inputs, as well as a network mode ie home renderer which are not in the ST2-HiFi).
Do not mistake the ST2-HiFi, which is an end-user machine, with the ST2-Pro which is a pro-audio machine. The difference between both is that Trinnov has developed an easy to use mode, which is in the ST2-HiFi and the Amethyst, and not in the ST2-Pro.

2. Using Trinnov in the end-user range is relatively easy. It just requires some understanding of how the machine works and a lot of method, because you can mess-up measures and the end-results will be unsatisfactory.

3. No as it was a second hand machine, sold by a retailer who had not touched the interface in 12 months, the training was very much DIY. The dealer just showed me how to connect to the machine, using VNC protocol, and that was it Smile

You can refer to this demo : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hnvwg0zmDFY
This shows a pro-audio version, but gives a good idea of the process.

If you face difficulties, you can always ask Trinnov support, who are very helpful people, or ask me, and I will try to help.
BTW if you have an interest buying a second hand ST2-HiFi, here is a link to someone who is selling his. The guy is an expert in the field and I trust that you would have very good support from him to start Smile

http://forum-hifi.fr/thread-873-post-122...l#pid12252
Thanks for your fast answers ,
Is I understand correctly
and to be more clear on the end user aspects , After you have basic of measurement knowledge ,the process create filter is simply ,
You ruining measurement , and RC filter is created automatically .
For final tunes you can modify the created filter .
I have looked for user guide \ manual but i was unable to find it on trinnov site .
any idle where I can download it ?

Thanks
Devialet 400, 
Ayon Raptor S
Townshend maximum super tweeters
MAC mini ,Amarra +IRC .
Digital -Telos Audio Gold Reference MKII ,
Speakers:Analysis plus Clear Oval
Power :Graditech - Voima 1

(18-May-2016, 12:56)windler Wrote: Thanks for your fast  answers ,
Is I understand correctly
and to be more clear on the end user aspects , After  you have basic of measurement knowledge ,the process create filter is simply ,
You ruining  measurement , and RC filter is created automatically  .
For final tunes you can modify the created filter .  
I have looked for user guide \ manual  but i was unable to find it on trinnov site .
any idle where I can download it ?

Thanks

I had the Amethyst here for a few weeks. Loved it!

The room correction software couldn't be any easier to use. Very fast and superb filters.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Here is a link to the user guide : https://www.cm-audio.net/images/trinnov/...manual.pdf

and a review of the product : http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/trinnov/1.html

Once you have calibrated you installation with the microphone, you can just chose an existing profile among the 5 provided as default. Or you can dig a little bit into the settings and define your own desired 'target curve' for the frequency response. This is very basic.

Here you find a few charts I used to position my speakers : http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?t...1#pid38741

I would not recommend using this tool for speakers' placement as there are much cheaper options, like the free REW software or Omnimic from Dayton Audio in case the intention is just to adjust speakers in the room.