Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tube Amp Simulation
Hi,

Maybe this has been proposed before, but here's an idea for a tweak for Devialet amps.

As there is is plenty of DSP performance in the Devialet amps, one sound tweak is to add a "tube amplifier simulation".

I.e. similar to what Pass Labs do to some extent in their amplifiers (they do it in the analog domain as part of design tradeoffs) ; some 2nd harmonics are allowed, and 3rd harmonics is OK at higher power/listening levels. Their blind A/B testing has shown that many customers prefer the added "glow" of 2nd harmonics at certain midrange frequencies, and 3rd harmonics overall gave the illusion of greater "slam" and life at higher listening levels. The details of this is a trade secret, but I heard it at a trade show interview with Nelson Pass.

One can assume that Devialet could analyze the behaviour of the best tube amps out there to collect the DSP data.

Controversial and may be hard to market, but an interesting and fun option.

Regards,
Mr Bellrick
(06-Dec-2019, 18:35)MrBellrick Wrote: Hi,

Maybe this has been proposed before, but here's an idea for a tweak for Devialet amps.

As there is is plenty of DSP performance in the Devialet amps, one sound tweak is to add a "tube amplifier simulation".

I.e. similar to what Pass Labs do to some extent in their amplifiers (they do it in the analog domain as part of design tradeoffs) ; some 2nd harmonics are allowed, and 3rd harmonics is OK at higher power/listening levels. Their blind A/B testing has shown that many customers prefer the added "glow" of 2nd harmonics at certain midrange frequencies, and 3rd harmonics overall gave the illusion of greater "slam" and life at higher listening levels. The details of this is a trade secret, but I heard it at a trade show interview with Nelson Pass.

One can assume that Devialet could analyze the behaviour of the best tube amps out there to collect the DSP data.

Regards,
Mr Bellrick
Hmm, I moved to Devialet after twenty odd years of valve high end sound. The reason for the move was because the Devialet just simply sounded right, out of the box. When I had valve based systems, I was always very aware of some sound colouration which eventually I tired of, not to mention the outlay of around £400 (that’s the cheap option) every couple of years for new power tubes. 

I don’t think there is any need for what you suggest although I recognise others may disagree and no doubt Devialet’s versatility could allow it, but I would much prefer them to sort out the existing C/I bugs before introducing something new.
Qobuz, roon RAAT, Audiostore Prestige XL Optical, Synology NAS. Devialet Expert 250 Pro C/I. World Audio Design (DIY) KLS3 MkIII speakers, upgraded crossover and SEAS T25CF002 Millennium tweeters. Ethernet. Blue Jeans (Belden 5000) 10 gauge 5T00UP speaker cable.
It's an interesting concept, similar to what Line 6 Guitar amps did to enable guitarists to 'model' anything from Marshall stacks to classic Fender amps to etc. The concept has been used for other instruments as well.

Some company has probably attempted it from an audiophile perspective, but I can't think of one off the top of my head.

For a Devialet, fun to play with and switch depending upon mood.
Audiolab 6000CDT, Innuos Zenith MK II, Roon, Synology NAS, D250 Pro CI, Graham Audio Chartwell LS6f, Thorens TD-160, Pickering XV-15 1200e
This is a feature I doubt Devialet would add. They are all the time working to reduce distortion so adding it, even as a special DSP option, is fairly unlikely. On the other hand Devialet actually considered a tube class A stage for the ADH while developing the amplifier concept many years ago. As we know, they selected to use transistors for the class A stage.
There are plenty of VST plugins that do these things so a player software with VST support would be good. Unfortunately one can not use VST with Roon, but Audirvana, JRiver and Foobar are among those that do.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(09-Dec-2019, 14:27)ogs Wrote: ...On the other hand Devialet actually considered a tube class A stage for the ADH while developing the amplifier concept many years ago.

That's an interesting and surprising snippet of Devialet history -- thanks!
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(09-Dec-2019, 14:27)ogs Wrote: This is a feature I doubt Devialet would add. They are all the time working to reduce distortion so adding it, even as a special DSP option, is fairly unlikely. On the other hand Devialet actually considered a tube class A stage for the ADH while developing the amplifier concept many years ago. As we know, they selected to use transistors for the class A stage.

Actually I heard something similar from Thierry Massoubre (who used to run support) many years ago. He told me that Devialet were considering creating a version of ADH with a valve. This was more of a side project though. But it was definitely considered and perhaps a prototype was even built, who knows? 

A few years later I raised the idea of a DSP "tube" option with Devialet but the response wasn't great, largely for the reason stated above which was fair enough. My argument was that with some recordings it would be a nice option to have. They could even model it on "classic" valves or amplifiers. A bit of fun basically. 

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(06-Dec-2019, 18:35)MrBellrick Wrote: Hi,

Regards,
Mr Bellrick

I get the point but you buy an amp because you love the sound it produces. Devialet has a nice marriage between neutral yet sounding fast and fun (imo). Pass Labs have their own design and as you say sound different. I guess it is up to us to see what your preference is (or buy both Angel ).
(11-Dec-2019, 07:58)Stino Wrote: Devialet has a nice marriage between neutral yet sounding fast and fun (imo). Pass Labs have their own design and as you say sound different.

That is an excellent summation of the Devialet sound, Stino.
Audiolab 6000CDT, Innuos Zenith MK II, Roon, Synology NAS, D250 Pro CI, Graham Audio Chartwell LS6f, Thorens TD-160, Pickering XV-15 1200e
I'm sure 99% would rather have some type of room correction, which Devialet Expert competitors are beginning to offer but Devialet sadly abandoned...
• Kuzma Stabi S turntable • Kuzma Stogi S arm • Benz Micro ACE H cartridge • PC with MusicBee / WASAPI source • Oyaide d+ NEO B-Class USB cable • Devialet 200 amplifier • Blue Jeans Ten speaker cable • GoldenEar Triton One •

(15-Dec-2019, 12:41)Bwaze Wrote: I'm sure 99% would  rather have some type of room correction, which Devialet Expert competitors are beginning to offer but Devialet sadly abandoned...
In my opinion, the main stopper to implement room correction is the potential for errors and problems which would certainly make the cost of support exploding. 

my two cents,

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France