Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UK event with Mathieu Pernot - 17 July
I absolutely agree on that. There other severe bugs too - for example when having to unplug the Devialet and again plugging it in - it doesn’t get an IP address (just Ethernet activated) via DHCP. Quite a few are encountering this issue. And again there is still no feedback, status updates or any other communication by Devialet ... apart from Sales newsletters for Phantom Undecided
Why do you have to plug and unplug yours, mine has been plugged in for 4 months (I know as that's how long I have been back from Spain) but when I got back and plugged it in it just worked.
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
Some changes of the furnitures. It worked before also flawless when plugging it in - but seems under certain circumstances that Devialet has a problem getting an IP address.
Whilst I have been a big supporter of Devialet since the outset, starting with a D-Premier and continuously owning the brand through to my current OdA/Expert Pro 1000, with Phantom Golds and Dialog in addition, the wording announcing Mathieu’s visit does not instill confidence. It is either sloppy or drafted to suggest that Mathieu will be holding small group discussions (“informal workshops”) and talking a bit about future plans (ok) and dealing with individual issues where people bring their Devialet unit into the shop (which is pretty daft).

A few years ago there was a Devialet/OAC event where I coordinated questions from DC participants and these were sent to Mathieu in advance such that he would talk about the issues raised and follow up with a full written reply which could be posted on DC. This only had limited success probably because, in Devialet style, it was apparent that even Mathieu was unwilling or forbidden to commit Devialet to various promises.

As currently potentially structured, this event has the likelihood of delivering a similar inadequate outcome.

To me, making best use of the 4 hours time of a guy who knows more about Expert than anyone else, I’d expect OAC to structure the event so that, for example, Mathieu spends 30 minutes taking about current issues and developments at Devialet generally and in relation to the Expert in particular (eg why have they recently raised a pile more money; why did they launch the dedicated Expert team two years ago led by Joachim in terms of strategy, customer liaison, technical development, marketing and sales, and communication only to dismantle it soon after with Joachim and Antoine then leaving).

I’d then expect OAC to ask for very specific questions from DC members which OAC could then document based on popularity and send in writing to Mathieu in advance so that he could present on these for an hour and produce a generally circulated written response; followed by an hour of verbally raised follow-up points.

Leaving Mathieu 1.1/2 hours for individual discussions.

Will this happen? Regrettably I doubt it.
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
I have just received an email from Oxford Audio Consultants regarding their Devialet event.  The good news is that it is still scheduled for Wednesday 17th July 2019, starting at 3:00pm.

The email includes the following image.  This intrigued me a little, is this new?

EDIT: I have just managed to answer my own question, the image is new, but it is the core intelligence board. I would have thought Active X would utilise the Evo board, with Core Intelligence used for streaming? Maybe it included in the email just because it is a nice picture?

EDIT AGAIN: There are clues on Devialet's website. The chip glowing blue with the cover floating in the air is designated as "Audio DSP". I wonder what else this could do outside of it's Active X functionality?
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Interesting! The SHARC is indeed a DSP IC. I remember Devialet added additional DSP power to CI which wasn’t initially used (not sure about if it is today). Crossover functionality has been there in the Devialets for years so we’ll probably have to wait and see if it’s something new/expanded/improved or just a new acronym Devialet marketing came up with. Wink

DSP’s as number crunchers could do anything to a digital music signal like room correction, effects, .. you name it!
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
@Confused - there's a white paper here about the Active X-Over (crossover) design.  It looks to me as though it's what Devialet have already demonstrated with some of their big multi-driver set-ups.

As you surmised, the picture is a re-worked version of a previous photo of the CI.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
So they're hinting at DSP and active x-over is already known...room correction perhaps?
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(23-Jun-2019, 10:29)thumb5 Wrote: @Confused - there's a white paper here about the Active X-Over (crossover) design.  It looks to me as though it's what Devialet have already demonstrated with some of their big multi-driver set-ups.

As you surmised, the picture is a re-worked version of a previous photo of the CI.

Thanks!  To quote the white paper "AXD (Active X-over Design) combines the endless possibilities of Devialet Expert Pro DSP (Digital Signal Processor)".  I recall Mathieu Pernot explaining how this could be used to exactly match the characteristics of a speaker manufacturer's theoretically perfect cross over, something that cannot be done with electronics in a passive cross over.   OK - The possibilities might be "endless", but other than AXD, they have not really started yet.

This perhaps leads to another question for your list; Other than the existing Active X crossover, what else is planned for the Devialet Expert Pro DSP?

As I mentioned in a past post, I would like the internal DSP to include an "anti-clinical" feature, maybe adding a touch of harmonic distortion to "warm up" some of thin sounding recording that exist, particularly on earlier CD's.  You could have a variety DSP selections to suit every genre and every form of dodgy mastering.  I am not sure how Mathieu Pernot would react to that one though!  I love the idea of reviewers stating that an Expert Pro sounds very accurate, but maybe a little cold and clinical in comparison with some rivals, but when selecting the harmonic distortion DSP, it sounds warm, organic and extracts the emotion from the music, much better.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(23-Jun-2019, 11:47)Confused Wrote: ...
OK - The possibilities might be "endless", but other than AXD, they have not really started yet.

Ha ha - never a truer word!

(23-Jun-2019, 11:47)Confused Wrote: This perhaps leads to another question for your list; Other than the existing Active X crossover, what else is planned for the Devialet Expert Pro DSP?

As I mentioned in a past post, I would like the internal DSP to include an "anti-clinical" feature, maybe adding a touch of harmonic distortion to "warm up" some of thin sounding recording that exist, particularly on earlier CD's.  You could have a variety DSP selections to suit every genre and every form of dodgy mastering.  I am not sure how Mathieu Pernot would react to that one though!  I love the idea of reviewers stating that an Expert Pro sounds very accurate, but maybe a little cold and clinical in comparison with some rivals, but when selecting the harmonic distortion DSP, it sounds warm, organic and extracts the emotion from the music, much better.

Well, I can certainly add this to the list.  My guess is that this might fall into the same bag as room correction: it would be great in principle but "too much like hard work" (my words of course).

That said, if Devialet would adopt @ogs's excellent suggestion of implementing a "digital effects loop" one could plug in external DSP boxes to achieve this effect.  I realise this might be a sad waste of the DSP capabilities of the CI, of course...
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK