Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
USB Regen from UpTone
I'd like to draw your attention to this new active device for the USB link. I am using one on the input of my 250. The result is quite remarkable. My current playback chain is JRiver MC 20.x DLNA server with DSP enabled for room correction on Windows 7, JPLAYstreamer/JPLAY on Server 2012R2 (on an Intel NUC), kernel streaming, USB to the Regen on the 250 input.
JPLAY6 is very good. The Open Home JPLAYstreamer is a brilliant idea. With the Regen the sound quality becomes superb. Also recordings with 'less than stellar sound' is improved. I have not tried any of the esoteric devices like Melco or Totaldac. I believe the Regen does much of the stuff these products do. I hope Guillaume or Rufus get a chance to try a Regen and report back on what they hear.
The Regen does not eliminate the need for good USB cables. I've seen comments from owners of the Totaldac D1 which say the Regen further improves the already excellent D1 cable.
Please look at these threads at computeraudiophile for more information:
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac...ons-24078/
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-mu...gen-22803/
and of course the UpTone web site:
http://uptoneaudio.com/
There is a lot of enthusiasm involved here.

I am not associated with UpTone in any way. I purchased the Regen for USD175 plus postage and was lucky to be among the first 100 with delivery in April. Next production batch seems to be June so there will be some waiting for those that order now. It is certainly worth the wait!
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Wow - that sounds interesting!
(28-Apr-2015, 13:54)Rufus McDufus Wrote: Wow - that sounds interesting!

Yes, this little box has in may ways lifted the music playback quality of my system several notches. As I have not listened to Totaldac or Melco (or any of the others in this sphere) I will be a bit careful with my description, but in general I can confirm what is said over at Computeraudiophile. John Swenson is a brilliant and very creative designer. He has been active on the slimdevices forum (and other audio forums) for many years and I've been waiting for designs from him to turn up. The Regen is a brilliant start!
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
Does it fit behind the 250 with the cover on using the A to B adapter, or are you using a cable?
(28-Apr-2015, 14:35)DJ 04 Wrote: Does it fit behind the 250 with the cover on using the A to B adapter, or are you using a cable?

Well, it is small enough to fit with the adapter, but my 250 is mounted vertically on a wall so I would see parts of the power plug and USB input cable even with the cover on. I am using the short USB cable that is included.
If your Dev is placed flat on a shelf this should work fine.
Devialetless!
Thanks ogs - just ordered one!
I'm going to a meet up in Berkeley, CA this weekend where Alex from Uptone Audio and John Swenson will be in attendance. If anyone has an specific question let me know and I'll try to get some answers.
(28-Apr-2015, 17:40)DJ 04 Wrote: I'm going to a meet up in Berkeley, CA this weekend where Alex from Uptone Audio and John Swenson will be in attendance. If anyone has an specific question let me know and I'll try to get some answers.

That sounds nice!

1. How will two Regens, one at each end of a USB cable work? i.e. one at the streamer output and the other at the DAC input
2. Can one use the same power supply for such combination?
3. The SMPS that come with the Regen is quite good but... will Alex and John work on a small (and cheap) linear PS for it?

That is what I can think right now.
Devialetless!
(28-Apr-2015, 15:35)cc1 Wrote: Thanks ogs - just ordered one!

If you get anything like the improvement I am getting I am sure you will  be thrilled!
Devialetless!
I'm wondering how one will work on a Melco. I'm not sure what the Melco is doing - it may be doing a similar thing which might make a USB Regen pointless?