Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
USB Regen from UpTone
(25-May-2015, 07:36)Rufus McDufus Wrote: Sorry to be lazy, has anyone heard the USB Regen here yet on a Devialet?

Haha, you ARE lazy, check out the first post in this topic! Big Grin
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(25-May-2015, 12:38)rwjr44 Wrote: Will the USB Regen connect directly to the Devialet without obstructing the SD port?

It does not cover the SD port on my 250 nor the Ethernet cable, however the A to B that comes with the Regen is a bit too long for the back cover to fit. I have not checked this on a 120/200.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(25-May-2015, 13:45)Antoine Wrote:
(25-May-2015, 07:36)Rufus McDufus Wrote: Sorry to be lazy, has anyone heard the USB Regen here yet on a Devialet?

Haha, you ARE lazy, check out the first post in this topic! Big Grin

Oops sorry - I did read it too.  I have a memory like a sieve Sad
Very pleasantly surprised to receive my Regen this morning Smile  Wasn't expecting it quite so soon...thought it'd be stuck in customs for a while but it seemed to sail through Heathrow and no import duty.

I'm not normally a USB user but the differences between Regen and non-Regen on a vanilla iTunes Macbook are obvious. Everything seems to sound more natural, more real with the Regen. That slightly hard digital edge is gone.
(15-Jun-2015, 14:56)cc1 Wrote: Very pleasantly surprised to receive my Regen this morning Smile  Wasn't expecting it quite so soon...thought it'd be stuck in customs for a while but it seemed to sail through Heathrow and no import duty.

I'm not normally a USB user but the differences between Regen and non-Regen on a vanilla iTunes Macbook are obvious. Everything seems to sound more natural, more real with the Regen. That slightly hard digital edge is gone.

The only down side seems to be that it won't fit under the cover of the Dev with the supplied small adaptor.

If it won't fit with small adapter, the next question is can you hear the difference between the short adapter and short cable they provide?
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

It appears from reading over at computer audiophile that using the adapter instead of cable is important, but I'm interested in this too.

If I end up having to use USB over Air (I need a break from the popping/cracking), this sounds like it will get the sound right up there. But I wouldn't be able to justify leaving the case open for it….

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Ok I've just swapped out the adapter for the cable and vice versa a few times and I do feel that there seems to be a difference for the worse with the cable. The bass seems to lose a bit of punch and resolution and the music as a whole doesn't have the same dynamism. The cable may improve if I ran it in but from what others over at computer audiophile say it seems its important to get the Regen as close as possible to the dac.

I have to say that imho I thought the Regen was good but I wasn't totally wowed by it when I first plugged it in. I should quick add - initially that is, before everyone denounces me as a heretic. This is probably because I'm very used to AIR wifi, but having left the Regen running for the past 7 hours the sound has opened up quite a bit and now is really sounding quite excellent!

I, like you, Hifi_swlon have got a little tired of the odd cracks and pops with wifi and that sometimes hires files such as 192khz won't play at all. I really don't want to have the back of my case off either - perhaps there's a solution out there!
(15-Jun-2015, 17:59)cc1 Wrote: Ok I've just swapped out the adapter for the cable and vice versa a few times and I do feel that there seems to be a difference for the worse with the cable. The bass seems to lose a bit of punch and resolution and the music as a whole doesn't have the same dynamism. The cable may improve if I ran it in but from what others over at computer audiophile say it seems its important to get the Regen as close as possible to the dac.

I have to say that imho I thought the Regen was good but I wasn't totally wowed by it when I first plugged it in. I should quick add - initially that is, before everyone denounces me as a heretic. This is probably because I'm very used to AIR wifi, but having left the Regen running for the past 7 hours the sound has opened up quite a bit and now is really sounding quite excellent!

I, like you, Hifi_swlon have got a little tired of the odd cracks and pops with wifi and that sometimes hires files such as 192khz won't play at all. I really don't want to have the back of my case off either - perhaps there's a solution out there!

Thanks for the update! It's an interesting device and they have some interesting gumpf to read over at their site and on CA about it. I'd like to try it with my hugo too, but that would probably need a custom miniUSB adaptor as not many things fit into the Hugo… So regen with adaptor = as good as Air, but not as god with the cable? Or its not as good as Air in either case? (Or better?)

I asked the question over at uptone to see if there's any plans for a 'Devialet friendly' model btw….

Yes, it is a shame and its more than 'odd' pops and crackles for me sadly. Well, that's when it wasn't boxed up and on its way back to Devialet.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(15-Jun-2015, 18:06)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Thanks for the update!  It's an interesting device and they have some interesting gumpf to read over at their site and on CA about it.  I'd like to try it with my hugo too, but that would probably need a custom miniUSB adaptor as not many things fit into the Hugo… So regen with adaptor = as good as Air, but not as god with the cable?  Or its not as good as Air in either case? (Or better?)

I asked the question over at uptone to see if there's any plans for a 'Devialet friendly' model btw….  

Yes, it is a shame and its more than 'odd' pops and crackles for me sadly. Well, that's when it wasn't boxed up and on its way back to Devialet.

Yes there's a lot of good reading over at CA - thank you to ogs for notifying us about it. The guys over there and Antoine when he gets his are probably way more qualified than me to comment on it.

I'm sorry to hear that it's more than odd pops and crackles with you! I think I've been quite lucky with AIR wifi in that it has worked pretty well for the past year. It seems an answer to all our problems will probably remain up in the 'air'! Sorry terrible pun  Big Grin 

A 'Devialet friendly' model would be loved by many I'm sure! As to the sound, I'm probably very used to AIR so the changing presentation takes a little while to get used. What immediately struck with the Regen was that I seemed to lose all the reverb, if that's the right term, around vocals compared to AIR. In my system the details aren't as upfront either but I think that's a USB - AIR difference. However, straightaway I found the bass and the soundstage better with the Regen, and as the Regen seemed to run in the reverb around vocals seemed to comeback. Also although the details aren't as obvious they are probably more of them...if that makes sense. Perhaps AIR is a little 'loose' sounding whereas the Regen is probably the more composed and truthful performer. The Regen is also sounding more dynamic and exciting now with much better bass and without the slight digital sound of AIR will probably become the sound of choice for me.

How it sounds in front of a Melco, Aurender or fully optimised computer is another question.........
Been reading about the Regen intently. It's all very interesting stuff and it's really nice to see the Uptone people sharing the technical details of the work they're doing. I've been waiting for things to calm down on the development front a little - i.e they release the 'Amber' version just a month or two after the original 'Green' version and I'm hoping they're not going to keep changing it (though not improving it seems a strange thing to wish for).
I just got a Totaldac USB cable which I'm running in and looking to possibly add a Regen too with the Devialet & Melco N1A which should be interesting. I don't use the rear cover so that makes things a little easier.