Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
USB, WIFI or Ethernet?
I've kinda been wondering about this for a while now, and have tried the last two with acceptable results, however I do wonder if it is the best performing/cleanest method of getting the laptop/Roon/JRiver output to the Dev, given my configuration, or is there no real difference?

Currently I have a dedicated Dell XPS DUO 12 running the software on Windows 10, being connected via USB to Ethernet through a TP link mains extender. This was when I wasn't sure where my components were going to end up, so the TP-link can access t'internet and my other remote computer.

But now, all the important bits are in the same rack, i.e. the NAS box (also on Ethernet), Devs, CD player, and laptop, so some rationalisation can take place...

Don't think I need to connect to the TP link anymore, so I can either retain the all-Ethernet route, or go USB betwix the Dell and the Dev, but in two minds about the NAS... The NAS also has USB option, but acts as a backup for other stuff so will need to remain connected via ethernet for some of its duties.

If you guys had this config, what would you consider the optimal connective configuration would be?

...and if USB, what cable (nothing too silly price-wise though!)
Fairford UK area - Devialet 440, Aurender Streamer- Linked to QNAP NAS 453mini - Triangle Signature Deltas, Van Damme Professional Blue Series Studio Grade 2 x 4.0 mm cables, Moon Neo 260D DC Transport, Dell notebook Client linked both ethernet & wifi.
(24-Aug-2015, 14:13)teddlesdee Wrote: I've kinda been wondering about this for a while now, and have tried the last two with acceptable results, however I do wonder if it is the best performing/cleanest method of getting the laptop/Roon/JRiver output to the Dev, given my configuration, or is there no real difference?

Currently I have a dedicated Dell XPS DUO 12 running the software on Windows 10, being connected via USB to Ethernet through a TP link mains extender. This was when I wasn't sure where my components were going to end up, so the TP-link can access t'internet and my other remote computer.

But now, all the important bits are in the same rack, i.e. the NAS box (also on Ethernet), Devs, CD player, and laptop, so some rationalisation can take place...

Don't think I need to connect to the TP link anymore, so I can either retain the all-Ethernet route, or go USB betwix the Dell and the Dev, but in two minds about the NAS... The NAS also has USB option, but acts as a backup for other stuff so will need to remain connected via ethernet for some of its duties.

If you guys had this config, what would you consider the optimal connective configuration would be?

...and if USB, what cable (nothing too silly price-wise though!)

The best option is the AES/EBU input.

From a laptop, you can use a converter from USB to AES/EBU.
D400; Stereolab Tombo Tron coaxial for master -> slave; Kubala-Sosna Elation interconnects, power, and speaker cables; Spendor D7 speakers; Bryston BDP-2 w. latest sound card & upgraded fuses; Bybee Stealth Power Purifier conditioner connected with IsoTek EVO3 Syncro SE to wall socket
I am thinking of trying the Yellowtec PUC 2 USB -> AES/EBU device, if I can get a decent return policy. It is a German company and the device costs approximately $450.00 USD. I have heard good things about it. www.yellowtec.com is the company's link.
Synology 713+ -> Aurender N10 -> D 200 -> Legacy Audio Focus SE speakers. ClearAudio Emotion TT. Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker and Galileo (USB) Interconnects and Synergistic PowerCell UEF S - Virginia U. S. A.
(24-Aug-2015, 14:53)miro Wrote: The best option is the AES/EBU input.

Sorry if I'm missing the point, but: given teddlesdee has USB output from his laptop and the Devialet has a USB input, why complicate matters by using a USB-to-AES/EBU converter?  It sounds a little implausible to me that the sound quality using that approach would be better than a direct USB connection.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(24-Aug-2015, 15:21)thumb5 Wrote:
(24-Aug-2015, 14:53)miro Wrote: The best option is the AES/EBU input.

Sorry if I'm missing the point, but: given teddlesdee has USB output from his laptop and the Devialet has a USB input, why complicate matters by using a USB-to-AES/EBU converter?  It sounds a little implausible to me that the sound quality using that approach would be better than a direct USB connection.

That is the question that needs answering. Huh I would like to at least try it and decide. Here is a link to an article I read yesterday: http://www.stereotimes.com/post/yellowte...converter/.
I am not a fan of the author's writing style but it is an intriguing product.
Synology 713+ -> Aurender N10 -> D 200 -> Legacy Audio Focus SE speakers. ClearAudio Emotion TT. Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker and Galileo (USB) Interconnects and Synergistic PowerCell UEF S - Virginia U. S. A.
...and of course, I am using the AES thingy for the CD Transport (not that it is used a lot!)

So in order of quality repro (given similar qual cables) - best on top

AES
USB
Ethernet
Wifi

???????????? Undecided
Fairford UK area - Devialet 440, Aurender Streamer- Linked to QNAP NAS 453mini - Triangle Signature Deltas, Van Damme Professional Blue Series Studio Grade 2 x 4.0 mm cables, Moon Neo 260D DC Transport, Dell notebook Client linked both ethernet & wifi.
Thumb...

"given teddlesdee has USB output from his laptop....."

Big Grin DEE to my mates Wink
Get an Uptone Regen for the USB connection. It really is quite remarkable.
Devialet 220 Pro, TQ Black Mains & Ultra Black Speaker Cables, Naim Ovators S600, Sonore microRendu (Roon & HQP) with Uptone JS-2
TRNC (North Cyprus)
(24-Aug-2015, 18:18)AllenB Wrote: Get an Uptone Regen for the USB connection. It really is quite remarkable.

There is also this product that is highly recommended:

http://schiit.com/products/wyrd
D400; Stereolab Tombo Tron coaxial for master -> slave; Kubala-Sosna Elation interconnects, power, and speaker cables; Spendor D7 speakers; Bryston BDP-2 w. latest sound card & upgraded fuses; Bybee Stealth Power Purifier conditioner connected with IsoTek EVO3 Syncro SE to wall socket
(25-Aug-2015, 04:56)miro Wrote:
(24-Aug-2015, 18:18)AllenB Wrote: Get an Uptone Regen for the USB connection. It really is quite remarkable.

There is also this product that is highly recommended:

http://schiit.com/products/wyrd

I believe this is also being tested by Michael at Audiostream.com. If I read his comments correctly, he will prefer AQ Jitterbug over Wyrd.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier