Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
USB, WIFI or Ethernet?
Not really old chap! Especially from this lot!  Tongue

We are all built differently, we all have differing kit in various ways, so it is bound to create (valid) personal opinion.

It does seem however that USB may be the optimum route from the Laptop to Dev, with ethernet playing its part betwix Laptop and NAS (std ethernet cables I suppose are fine for this task?).
I also have ordered one of those USB Regen boxes for the good-old-USA, so am awaiting late september I guess before it lands.

Meanwhile, I will try to find a good (but not silly expensive) USB cable that can compliment the setup - ideas?
Will I need two? one from the laptop to the regen - what about from the regen to Dev?

I suppose for a different thread, I am still not overly happy with Roon, nor JRiver for different reasons - each has something missing as opposed to the other....if only I could combine both into one!!!!

...Unless of course I have missed something....So I will start a new thread in the right spot....

Dee
Fairford UK area - Devialet 440, Aurender Streamer- Linked to QNAP NAS 453mini - Triangle Signature Deltas, Van Damme Professional Blue Series Studio Grade 2 x 4.0 mm cables, Moon Neo 260D DC Transport, Dell notebook Client linked both ethernet & wifi.
Hello Teddlesdee,

I have used a MacBook Pro with Audirvana software directly connected with a high quality USB cable ( a AudioQuest in the upper price range) connected to my D250 in comparison with my iMac with iTunes/Air software connected through a CAT-6 to my Airport Extreme and further to my D250.

In my opinion, (and also in the owner of the MacBook), the CAT-6 setup sounded better. More transparent, dynamic and "real". Exchanging the CAT-6 (no-name brand) into a Jenving CAT-7+ improved the sound even further. Try it, maybe you'll end up with the same conclusion as I.

BR

Skickat från min iPad med Tapatalk
- Proud Devialet owner since 2011!

Main system:
Devialet D250 Pro, Magico Q3 speakers, Shunyata Anaconda speaker cables, Shunyata Sigma HC power cable/Shunyata Cyklops V2 power conditioner/Shunyata Digital power cable, Shunyata DF-SS cable lifters, Jenving CAT8+ Ethernet cables, Auralic Aries Mini with SBoost power supply, Shunyata Venom USB.

Working at Akkelis Audio in Gothenburg, Sweden
@tedlesdee
If you have ordered the Regen then the Supra USB cable is supposed to be an excellent match (recommended by the engineer behind the Regen design), and they are not very expensive either. I already had a Chord Signature TA USB cable, which is not cheap, but even with this cable, the Regen improved matters in a very noticeable way. I guess to be more correct, the Regen improves and cleans the data stream from your source which a good cable will convey in full, warts and all, in any case.
Devialet 220 Pro, TQ Black Mains & Ultra Black Speaker Cables, Naim Ovators S600, Sonore microRendu (Roon & HQP) with Uptone JS-2
TRNC (North Cyprus)
USB sounds great with the Uptone Regen, only change I made is to put the regen at the USB output of my streamer, much better "mechanical"connection with the adapter in this position. (instead of on the Devialet side)

Moving the Regen even improved the sound. (my USB cable is the Wireworld Platinum USB)

Olaf
Main Set: Aavik U-300, Magico V3, Wadia 381i, Ayre DX-5 dsd, NBS Black label / Omega 1, Crystal Dreamline, Cardas Clear, Ansuz Ceramic, Aurender N100H, purpose build rack Bubinga wood (175kg rack only)

Second set: Devialet 200, Raidho X1, JL Audio F110 Subs (2x), Oppo BDP103D with audiopraise board, Melco N1A, Uptone Regen, and lots of Ansuz goodies
I know it's heresy around here, but I use iTunes and AIR over Ethernet (CAT7). It's reliable and a clean looking arrangement. FWIW, I had been using a USB to AES converter previously (the Berkeley Audio Design Alpha USB, which was truly outstanding), but wanted to take the extra box and power cable etc out of my rack.

As for iTunes, it has a lot of "bloatware" problems, but it's reliable and I know Apple will update the Remote app so that I can control the whole operation from my old iPad (ROON would require me to buy a new one). There's also Remote for iTunes for Android devices, which actually might be slightly better than Apple's own Remote for iOS.

Sorry, but the bother of Audirvana and custom Win boxes and NAS setups -- it's all just too much for me.
Devialet 1000 Pro Core Infinity, Magico M3, Nordost Frey 2 speaker cable, PS Audio P15 Power Plant, Shunyata Alpha EF AC cable, Mac Mini running ROON.
AIR doesnt work for me and since I have an Aurender X100, its all USB here. Even when I had a Mini/JRiver set up, I tought USB was pretty close to my PSAudio PW Memory player ( transport ) connected with AES/EBU cables. But to be honest, when AIR does work for a few minutes, it's the best and it would probably be my choice.

@flohmann: I use Mini/ITunes/BitPerfect/Aurender Flow as my headphone set up and I love it!
Dedicated Mains >Crystal Standard Power Cables >Aurender X100L >Locus Design Essentia USB >D200 >Siltech 330L >Dynaudio C1 Signature
Montréal

Oh, I'm even more of an audiophile heretic in the headphone setup, Yippedidou. I'm relying on iMac/iTunes via AirPlay to Airport Express (gasp, yes, limited to 44/16, and yes Toslink output!), which then feeds my headphone rig. It works reliably, lets me use Apple Remote on iPad to control it, and sounds pretty good:

iMac/iTunes - AirPlay - Airport Express - generic Toslink cable - Genesis Digital Lens - Black Cat Veloce SPDIF cable - Red Wine Audio Audeze Edition - Audeze LCD-2.
Devialet 1000 Pro Core Infinity, Magico M3, Nordost Frey 2 speaker cable, PS Audio P15 Power Plant, Shunyata Alpha EF AC cable, Mac Mini running ROON.
(12-Sep-2015, 00:03)flohmann Wrote: Oh, I'm even more of an audiophile heretic in the headphone setup, Yippedidou. I'm relying on iMac/iTunes via AirPlay to Airport Express (gasp, yes, limited to 44/16, and yes Toslink output!), which then feeds my headphone rig. It works reliably, lets me use Apple Remote on iPad to control it, and sounds pretty good:

iMac/iTunes - AirPlay - Airport Express - generic Toslink cable - Genesis Digital Lens - Black Cat Veloce SPDIF cable - Red Wine Audio Audeze Edition - Audeze LCD-2.

Two magic words in your HP set up... Numero uno is the Genesis Digital Lens ( designed by Paul, zzzzze Paul of PSAudio ) and numero dos is Red Wine which I love to drink. I think that at some point, ITunes doesnt really matter when you have those two magic units. Great set up... Congrats!
Dedicated Mains >Crystal Standard Power Cables >Aurender X100L >Locus Design Essentia USB >D200 >Siltech 330L >Dynaudio C1 Signature
Montréal