Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
USB cable guidance
Ok it's a Saturday night and I am sitting here thinking about USB cables, I used to have a life ?
Looks like I am going to go for the Melco N1a or the Aurender N100h.
Any recommendations for a good USB cable? No crazy prices unless you really think it's worth it.
I have looked and have three possibilities Nordost blue heaven, audio quest carbon or tellerium q blue.

I don't really have a high end system, 200 driving the PMC 23s so I feel some of the ones I have seen recommended on other posts are a little too costly

Any guidance or comments appreciated
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
The Chord SilverPlus is a really good budget cable (about £50), and I think Hifi News are still doing one for free if you take out a year's subscription.
I have one but upgraded to the Totaldac USB. It's better, but not massively, but about 5 times the price. A very subtle cable and quite dark sounding.

The Uptone Regen threads on Computer Audiophile, What's Best Forum etc. are quite useful (and wordy) as many people are comparing budget USB cables there with the the Regen, but it's fairly enlightening regarding cables.
Great post thank you. I will take a look and see if I can find that discussion.
I have no idea when it comes to cables and sort of delighted you think a £50 will do a good enough job. I think the ones I have listed are in between £150 and £190...... I just remembered the golden rule of budget 10% for cables ?
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
The question mark was supposed to be a smile :-)
(10-Oct-2015, 19:45)Womaz Wrote: Great post thank you. I will take a look and see if I can find that discussion.
I have no idea when it comes to cables and sort of delighted you think a £50 will do a good enough job. I think the ones I have listed are in between £150 and £190...... I just remembered the golden rule of budget 10% for cables ?

As a rule, it's not that golden.  Certainly, 10% has been touted as a guide figure by some of the hifi mags over the years.  However, opinions differ wildly on this one in the real world.  As an example, I reckon F1eng's cable budget is currently pushing about 0.00006% of total spend.

As another example, at a cable demo once I quite liked the £50 cable, I didn't think I could hear much difference in cables further up the range to about £700, but the bonkers expensive top of the range offering did appear to be a tad better than the rest.
A tad better at 14 times the cost sort of answers my query. Ive never really thought cables make that much difference, but its the old thought process of I am spending 2 to 3k whats another couple of hundred quid to make sure I am doing it justice. A lot of my cables at present are the Audioquest Cinnamon range.
Steve, you're gong down a slippery road on USB cabling (and, maybe soon, add-on devices). You will have more sleepless nights ahead. [Tee hee hee]
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

(11-Oct-2015, 01:43)hk6230 Wrote: Steve, you're gong down a slippery road on USB cabling (and, maybe soon, add-on devices). You will have more sleepless nights ahead. [Tee hee hee]

Sorry please clarify as I am a little confused by your post.
Try the silver USB cable from Artisan Silver Cables.....
(11-Oct-2015, 08:26)Nemal1 Wrote: Try the silver USB cable from Artisan Silver Cables.....

Just looked this up, a very interesting boast on their website. Will consider this too, do you use this?