Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
USB cable guidance
(13-Oct-2015, 08:50)octaviars Wrote:
(13-Oct-2015, 03:49)gray Wrote: You could try a Curious cable at no risk. They are generating a lot of interest here in Australia (and elsewhere).
If you don't like it they will refund you in full.

http://www.curiouscables.com/

I'm seriously thinking of getting one. The dac chip in the Devialet doesn't require power from the usb cable. I've been in touch with Rob Woodland (the Curious cable guy) and he said

"You are correct, the separate gold coloured wire is the 5V power supply.  And I can omit this from the design for you - no problem.
Alternatively, I can add an in-line connector that allows you to plug and unplug the 5V power.  This may make the cable more versatile - for other applications requiring the 5V."

Are you really shure the Devialet dont need the 5V? I think I have seen somewere that it needs the minus of the 5V connected to sync with the usb. I can not find it right now but someone her will know for shure.

As far as I understand the Devialet definitely doesn't take its power from the 5V, but like many USB devices, it needs it for the handshake with the device at the other end - i..e when you switch to USB input. So, if you cut the wire or permanently tape over the pin, you're going to have issues whenever you change source or turn on or whatever, so wouldn't recommend it.

Of course, I could be wrong.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Knowing me I will probably go for the trusted Tellerium Q Blue USB. I have their speaker cables and have done so since they come out. Great reputation here in the UK. There are a few on here that I like the sound of, the Artisan especially.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
(13-Oct-2015, 09:16)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(13-Oct-2015, 08:50)octaviars Wrote:
(13-Oct-2015, 03:49)gray Wrote: You could try a Curious cable at no risk. They are generating a lot of interest here in Australia (and elsewhere).
If you don't like it they will refund you in full.

http://www.curiouscables.com/

I'm seriously thinking of getting one. The dac chip in the Devialet doesn't require power from the usb cable. I've been in touch with Rob Woodland (the Curious cable guy) and he said

"You are correct, the separate gold coloured wire is the 5V power supply.  And I can omit this from the design for you - no problem.
Alternatively, I can add an in-line connector that allows you to plug and unplug the 5V power.  This may make the cable more versatile - for other applications requiring the 5V."

Are you really shure the Devialet dont need the 5V? I think I have seen somewere that it needs the minus of the 5V connected to sync with the usb. I can not find it right now but someone her will know for shure.

As far as I understand the Devialet definitely doesn't take its power from the 5V, but like many USB devices, it needs it for the handshake with the device at the other end - i..e when you switch to USB input.  So, if you cut the wire or permanently tape over the pin, you're going to have issues whenever you change source or turn on or whatever, so wouldn't recommend it.

Of course, I could be wrong.

I feed my D200 via the usb output of an Antipodes DX.
There are 2 usb outputs  -  usb audio 5v on and usb audio 5v off.
I use the usb audio 5v off output.

I suppose it is still possible that a "handshake" happens via that un-powered 5v line. ( ? )
D200, Magico S1's, Antipodes DX