Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
USB output to laptop not working(?)
I have had my Devialet 200 for a few years - love it - and am finally starting to play with the USB output to rip LPs. 
I have followed the (now very old) instructions to set the MIDI interface first, then open audacity. I set the Devialet (running firmware 10.1) to input from my turntable and it plays fine. But there is no signal being recorded in Audacity - just silent. In the Devialet configurator it labels the USB as an "input" - is this the problem? That my Devialet is too old to feature the bi-directional USB, i.e. it is only a source? 
I have seen an old thread (2015) in this forum with very similar issues, turned out to be a faulty circuit board in the Devialet. I hope it isn't that...
I also cannot find the Devialet document about the bi-directional USB - has disappeared from their web site. Anyone have a copy, that might help?

thanks

Dave
(17-Feb-2019, 11:01)barneyd51 Wrote: I have had my Devialet 200 for a few years - love it - and am finally starting to play with the USB output to rip LPs. 
I have followed the (now very old) instructions to set the MIDI interface first, then open audacity. I set the Devialet (running firmware 10.1) to input from my turntable and it plays fine. But there is no signal being recorded in Audacity - just silent. In the Devialet configurator it labels the USB as an "input" - is this the problem? That my Devialet is too old to feature the bi-directional USB, i.e. it is only a source? 
I have seen an old thread (2015) in this forum with very similar issues, turned out to be a faulty circuit board in the Devialet. I hope it isn't that...
I also cannot find the Devialet document about the bi-directional USB - has disappeared from their web site. Anyone have a copy, that might help?

thanks

Dave

Hi Dave and welcome to DC.
I assume that you’ve got the USB input enabled in the Configurator? I remember, a few years ago when I had a 200, I successfully ripped a couple of my mates albums using the method you describe, but using Adobe Audition instead of Audacity, so I think your USB will be bi-directional.  Are your USB drivers up to date? I don’t remember having to set up the MIDI interface and I’m not sure that this would have any effect on the USB side of things.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
thanks for the welcome and response Axel!
I have tried enabling the USB (as an input) in the Configurator, and also tried disabling it (thinking it *might* need to be disabled to act as an output) but with the same (null) result. Yeah, USB drivers are up to date. Using OSX 10.14, latest Audacity (installed today).
(17-Feb-2019, 12:01)barneyd51 Wrote: thanks for the welcome and response Axel!
I have tried enabling the USB (as an input) in the Configurator, and also tried disabling it (thinking it *might* need to be disabled to act as an output) but with the same (null) result. Yeah, USB drivers are up to date. Using OSX 10.14, latest Audacity (installed today).
If everything is set right and you’re still having no joy, unless anyone else has any ideas then your best bet would be to use Devialet support. They’ll be able to tell you whether your USB is bi-directional.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
The USB on Devialet Expert amps should be bi-directional.

I'd recommend you try VinylStudio for ripping vinyl. It won't help with getting sound from the Devialet, but it gives you a workflow that is better than anything else... It is shareware so you can try a fully functional version before you commit.

EDIT: I was able to find this tutorial from the old Devialet site on Archive.org
.pdf   bi-dir-tutorial.pdf (Size: 1.44 MB / Downloads: 12)
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
I have been using the USB input for some time to record off LPs. I tried Audacity which was a bit temperamental (it sometimes refused to record off USB although other software could see the signal). Who knows why?

In the end, I use Adobe Audition on a Mac. A bit of getting used to as the program offers so many editing facilities (no more than Audacity) but presents the recording you have made in a easy to read way

There is a community-based radio station and they give me LPs to transcribe to CD or put on a USB stick. I was using a NAD phono stage, but the Devialet works better
                                                           Cape Town - South Africa, the home of good wine
Listening stuff:  Mercury Pi2 / Gentooplayer,  Expert 440PRO CI.  4Tb SSD.  Mogami speaker cable to ET LF8bs, B&W DB1 sub, Power from 7.5kW inverter.  2 x Dachshunds
@barneyd51 Here is a very relevant thread on the Roon forums: https://community.roonlabs.com/t/tagging...port/59702
The OP is also using a Devialet so his setup is similar to yours
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(17-Feb-2019, 11:01)barneyd51 Wrote: I have had my Devialet 200 for a few years - love it - and am finally starting to play with the USB output to rip LPs. 

thanks

Dave

I got the same problem, did you end up finding the solution?
(14-Aug-2020, 05:37)JonathanAltd Wrote:

thanks

Dave

Hi, should be the document!

https://www.devialet.com/media/wysiwyg/d...torial.pdf

Attached Files
.pdf   PDF-Dokument.pdf (Size: 1.31 MB / Downloads: 11)
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria
(14-Aug-2020, 15:21)K4680 Wrote:
(14-Aug-2020, 05:37)JonathanAltd Wrote:

thanks

Dave

Hi, should be the document!

https://www.devialet.com/media/wysiwyg/d...torial.pdf

Yes thank you that's the document but I followed the instruction and vinylstudio/audacity doesn't detect any sound.