Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
USB to ethernet
I wonder if a USB to ethernet adapter would work with a Devialet Expert pro 140? ( i.e. Connecting the usb on a computer and the ethernet to the Devialet ) I would appreciate any input on this subject. Would it work? How would you set it up? Would it be any better than USB? Thanks in advance for any input.
iMac 2021, Roon, home wifi, Devialet Phantom I x 2
It's more a question of whether it would work with your computer, because as far as the Devialet is concerned, it will just be a standard Ethernet connection.

It should be easy enough to try out.  If it's not already enabled, you will need to enable the Devialet's Ethernet interface using the on-line configurator.  On your computer the USB-Ethernet adapter should be detected automatically and should result in a new network interface, providing your OS has the right drivers installed.

Normally the preferred approach would be to connect both the USB-Ethernet adapter and the Devialet to an Ethernet switch and have a DHCP server (such as a typical home router) to set up the IP addresses on both devices automatically.  On the other hand, if you want to have a direct connection between the USB-Ethernet adapter and the Devialet's Ethernet port, you might need to follow the instructions elsewhere on this forum to set up a fixed IP address configuration.

What do you mean by "would it be any better than USB"?  If you're talking about sound quality, that will be entirely subjective and up to you to decide.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(07-Nov-2019, 17:55)thumb5 Wrote: It's more a question of whether it would work with your computer, because as far as the Devialet is concerned, it will just be a standard Ethernet connection.

It should be easy enough to try out.  If it's not already enabled, you will need to enable the Devialet's Ethernet interface using the on-line configurator.  On your computer the USB-Ethernet adapter should be detected automatically and should result in a new network interface, providing your OS has the right drivers installed.

Normally the preferred approach would be to connect both the USB-Ethernet adapter and the Devialet to an Ethernet switch and have a DHCP server (such as a typical home router) to set up the IP addresses on both devices automatically.  On the other hand, if you want to have a direct connection between the USB-Ethernet adapter and the Devialet's Ethernet port, you might need to follow the instructions elsewhere on this forum to set up a fixed IP address configuration.

What do you mean by "would it be any better than USB"?  If you're talking about sound quality, that will be entirely subjective and up to you to decide.
Thank you very much for your detailed response
iMac 2021, Roon, home wifi, Devialet Phantom I x 2
Yes, it works. I started a thread about a direct ethernet connection to the Devialet from a Roon Nucleus server that utilises a USB to ethernet adapter connected to one of the Nucleus' USB ports.

@thumb5 said above that your computer should detect the USB-Ethernet adapter automatically and that this should result in a new network interface but when I tried it with an Antipodes DS server the Antipodes did not recognise the adapter. I don't know what will happen with a Mac Mini, I haven't tried it with a Mac Mini. If the Mac Mini detects the adapter you may be able to get it to assign IP addresses to both the USB port and your Devialet but if you can't do that then you're going to have to assign manual addresses. Basically everything is going to depend on how your Mac Mini handles the adapter and whether it can assign addresses to a second network (you're essentially creating a second network with no connection to your router) via DHCP. You won't be able to disconnect your Mac Mini from your existing network if you need it to have internet access for any reason so essentially it becomes part of 2 networks.

I prefer the sound quality I get with an ethernet connection to my 140 than what I get with a USB connection but that's a personal preference. I find a USB connection to the Devialet does sound different to an ethernet connection. Both sound good but they do sound different and different people have different tastes. You may prefer USB or you may prefer ethernet and there's only one way to find out which you will prefer. That's to try it.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia