Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
USB vs AIR
Hi, I recently got a Mac mini, mainly for playing some Youtube performance and use Devialet as audio output.

However when I use AIR, I found a very distinct audio latency, the audio is about 2 seconds behind the video, I tried 5GHz, 2.4GHz WiFi, and also tried Ethernet cable directly connecting Mac mini and Devialet, there is no improvement in latency. Anyone else experience the same and has a solution?

At the end I have to use USB connection and the problem resolved. However I heard people said sound quality in USB connection isn't as good as AIR, USB injects more jitters, anyone did any comparison between the USB and AIR in sound quality? I use a normal $10 1.0 meter USB cable.
I prefer AIR over USB. But for the compressed audio of YouTube the difference shouldn't be a problem.
If you sync problem is solved with USB then that's a big win.
Devialet Expert 200 (FW 7.1.3) / Magnepan 1.7i / Rel T5 / Foobar (WASAPI event 24bit) / AIR 3.0.1 public beta (best Air 3.x.x SQ by far)
Hi,
have you check your target device buffer in Air is not set on 2000ms ? It should be on 0 to avoid latency.
Kind regards
Tweaked Mac Mini + Audirvana - Bridge ethernet - Metrum Ambre with RopieeXL - Coax - D120 - Mulidine Cadence
Cables : TWL Digital American - Coax cable : l'atelier acoustik - Ethernet : Monoprice cat5 UTP - Speakers : Duelund 16 awg
(31-May-2020, 16:21)Baldoun Wrote: Hi,
have you check your target device buffer in Air is not set on 2000ms ? It should be on 0 to avoid latency.
Kind regards

Thanks Baldoun.

I changed it from 2000ms to the minimum value 50ms, it has improved but still not good enough, the longer I watch a youtube video, the more latency it appear, after few minutes I still can hear the voice 1 second after I pause the video. And I found when I set it to 50ms, sometimes it has some broken sound, not very often but it happens every 10 minutes.

Looks like AIR is only for music listening, I switched back to USB. Thanks for the inputs.
(01-Jun-2020, 07:17)PeppaPig Wrote:
Kind regards

Thanks Baldoun.

I changed it from 2000ms to the minimum value 50ms, it has improved but still not good enough, the longer I watch a youtube video, the more latency it appear, after few minutes I still can hear the voice 1 second after I pause the video. And I found when I set it to 50ms, sometimes it has some broken sound, not very often but it happens every 10 minutes.

Looks like AIR is only for music listening, I switched back to USB. Thanks for the inputs.
 If you can get your hands on a MIT Sl Matrix USB cable, you will be very surprised by how good USB can sound. I beats AIR hands down.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
I have also configured AIR for Video using 5GhZ Wifi connection  (I have no latecy problem, but it crashes to often with MC- so I use mostly USB with JRMC). I have attached a network picture.
JRMC/ROON based Media Server - along C.A.P.S V4 Cortes (Win 10 Pro) -> LinkSys 5-Port Unmanaged Switch-> Media Renderer (JRMC; SoTM tx-USBexp, AQ NRG-Y3) ->Transparent AUdio Performance USB-> D220 PRO (AQ Blizzard)-> B&W 804S, Audeze LCD 2 Headphones; Audioquest Niagara 1200+AQ Blizzard; TV ->AQ Carbon Optical->D220 Pro
Why don’t you use airplay for the sound? I use an apple tv for streaming to a projector. The audio output of the apple tv is my dev 220 using airplay. I don’t experience any lag. For youtube the audio quality of airplay should be sufficient IMO
Devialet 220 pro expert; Focal 1028 Be; Rega RP6; Ortofon Quintet Black
If you have a CI, I would advise you to try Airplay. (Like Out of Gum is recommending)

Airplay has the advantage of syncing the video with the audio, compensating of any delay due to the network.

This is how I watch video from my Mac or iPad when I want the audio on the Devialet.

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
(01-Jun-2020, 17:59)Jean-Marie Wrote: If you have a CI, I would advise you to try Airplay. (Like Out of Gum is recommending)

Airplay has the advantage of syncing the video with the audio, compensating of any delay due to the network.

This is how I watch video from my Mac or iPad when I want the audio on the Devialet.

Jean-Marie
What's wrong with using USB though?
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(01-Jun-2020, 11:02)Pim Wrote:
(01-Jun-2020, 07:17)PeppaPig Wrote:
Kind regards

Thanks Baldoun.

If you can get your hands on a MIT Sl Matrix USB cable, you will be very surprised by how good USB can sound. I beats AIR hands down.

Thank you very much Pim, I checked the price... I think it over my budget, 600+ USD ... lol. Almost More expensive than my Mac mini cost.