Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
USB vs Wi Fi
i have been streaming music from Mac to my D400 via USB for the last 3 days. And i have found it sounds better than Wi FI that i have been using for the last 4 years.I am interested to see what everyone else's experience is.
There's a poll here: https://devialetchat.com/Thread-What-is-...tal-source (albeit run some time ago).
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Two friends with Devialets have been using USB and wireless streaming respectively

Then I persuaded one to try an ethernet (Cat 7 shielded) cable instead of the cheapie USB cable. Within 30 seconds he said it was much smoother, the tops were not as harsh and the "3D" effect of a solo singer was more noticeable

He is running an inexpensive ACER laptop running Windows 10 and streams from Tidal Hi-Fi and also has a HDD. Media Player is JRiver

Forgot to say: If I stream from the Macbook to the Devialet via wifi, then the Internet does not work. Probably a configuration issue, but I have not ascertained it yet
               Cape Town - South Africa, the home of good wine
Mercury Pi2 & Gentoo,  Expert 440PRO CI.  4Tb SSD.  ET LF8bs, B&W AS700 sub.  2 x Dachshunds
Using a Audioquest carbon cable
My experience is that a USB stick plugged directly into my Auralic Aries, and connected to my Devialet 440 pro directly sounds so much better than streaming the same music over my network via wifi or ethernet. I was hoping it would be great so I could remove the Auralic but it took about 10 minutes of listening to realise how dreadful the network streaming sounds and that I have the keep the Auralic!
(30-Jun-2019, 17:53)Laura Wrote: My experience is that a USB stick plugged directly into my Auralic Aries, and connected to my Devialet 440 pro directly sounds so much better than streaming the same music over my network via wifi or ethernet. I was hoping it would be great so I could remove the Auralic but it took about 10 minutes of listening to realise how dreadful the network streaming sounds and that I have the keep the Auralic!
Laura

How did you connect Auralic to 440 pro? Have you ever directly connected your laptop to 440 via USB cable?

BTW, is your 440 pro upgraded to core infinity?
(23-Jul-2019, 20:39)chungjh Wrote:
(30-Jun-2019, 17:53)Laura Wrote: My experience is that a USB stick plugged directly into my Auralic Aries, and connected to my Devialet 440 pro directly sounds so much better than streaming the same music over my network via wifi or ethernet. I was hoping it would be great so I could remove the Auralic but it took about 10 minutes of listening to realise how dreadful the network streaming sounds and that I have the keep the Auralic!
Laura

How did you connect Auralic to 440 pro? Have you ever directly connected your laptop to 440 via USB cable?

Hi, my 440 is Core Infinity yes. I’m connecting the Auralic to the Devialet via USB cable. I have not tried direct USB connection from a laptop, I streamed using AIR from my iMac and it wasn’t too good, then tried streaming via the Auralic from a USB stick plugged into my router, better but still subpar. Used the same USB stick in the back of the Auralic and it sounded great!
(24-Jul-2019, 13:09)Laura Wrote:
(23-Jul-2019, 20:39)chungjh Wrote:
Laura

Hi, my 440 is Core Infinity yes. I’m connecting the Auralic to the Devialet via USB cable. I have not tried direct USB connection from a laptop, I streamed using AIR from my iMac and it wasn’t too good, then tried streaming via the Auralic from a USB stick plugged into my router, better but still subpar. Used the same USB stick in the back of the Auralic and it sounded great!
Hi, you have a very nice system. Is your Auralic G1 or G2? According to Berkeley Audio, S/P DIF or AES is better than USB interconnect. I wonder if your SQ could improve even more with the other cables. Just a thought.
(24-Jul-2019, 19:43)chungjh Wrote:
(24-Jul-2019, 13:09)Laura Wrote:
(23-Jul-2019, 20:39)chungjh Wrote: Laura

Hi, you have a very nice system. Is your Auralic G1 or G2? According to Berkeley Audio, S/P DIF or AES is better than USB interconnect. I wonder if your SQ could improve even more with the other cables. Just a thought.
Hi Laura, as I mentioned earlier, I have been streaming Tidal (high resolution) from my laptop directly to Devialet via USB cable. My understanding is that Air will not do very high resolution (24bit/192 kHZ). I would be curious what high resolution music sounds like in your system without Auralic.
What are the favorite USB cables under $250?  Are they worth it?