Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upgrade or departure?
Hi all

Do I go for the elevate program option to upgrade to 2x new phantom 1 golds, or leave Devialet behind and go with kef LS50 II with kef kc62 subwoofer?

I have had two classic (white) phantoms in stereo set up since 2017. When all is stable I’m quite happy with them and they still occasionally surpass my expectations. I have (like most of you) had many many issues in getting them stable, particularly after Devialet ‘upgrades’ are released.

For around £3k I can get either option as I think it may be time to update before the current set up gets left behind by Devialet!

Not had the best experience with Devialet overall, so have many concerns sticking with them. But intrigued by the potential benefits of the ‘golds’ over my ‘whites’.

Also very tempted to try something new with kef, which seems to cover high res and tidal integration better.

Welcome any thoughts, experiences or suggestions…….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You'd probably need stereo subwoofers with LS50 II to match bass capabilities of Phantoms, but a single kc62 is a good start and it is easy to add one later. The KEFs might be better in the mid range than Phantoms. Do you use any room correction with your current setup?
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(21-Jul-2021, 08:12)ogs Wrote: You'd probably need stereo subwoofers with LS50 II to match bass capabilities of Phantoms, but a single kc62 is a good start and it is easy to add one later. The KEFs might be better in the mid range than Phantoms. Do you use any room correction with your current setup?

Hi
Thanks. No, just some years of trial placements. Not too many options given other room constraints.

Any view on the potential betterment of new golds over my old whites?

Have you heard the kefs in action? I’m trying to see if my dealer has them set up..

(21-Jul-2021, 08:16)tsmithpam Wrote:
(21-Jul-2021, 08:12)ogs Wrote: You'd probably need stereo subwoofers with LS50 II to match bass capabilities of Phantoms, but a single kc62 is a good start and it is easy to add one later. The KEFs might be better in the mid range than Phantoms. Do you use any room correction with your current setup?

Any view on the potential betterment of new golds over my old whites?

Have you heard the kefs in action? I’m trying to see if my dealer has them set up..

I haven' t heard the new Golds nor the W II unfortunately, only (old) Whites and W I. Whites worked very well in my room, LS50 I not so good.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
New versions are nearly problem free, at least for me. Had previous version and indeed there were issues that are largely solved now. Didn't hear the KEFs but I like the compactness of Devialet, so there's that Smile. Very happy with the upgrade.
I've upgraded two pairs of Phantoms (one silver, one gold) and bought a further individual 103dB. What I've noticed is MUCH greater stability, to the point where it 'just works' (including the remotes, which is fabulous). Also, once broken in, I've found the sound to be (slightly) better ---- more balanced sound in the Gold pair especially.

Elevate has rekindled the love affair. So, I'm a happy man.

Andrew
Looks like I have time to think which is good. Devialet say no deadline on elevate program
[Image: dba05e0c618a796d9dc216923556dbe1.jpg]

That’s good to hear especially as others have commented there are delays due to availability of parts or boxes.
I’m pleased for Devialet that the Elevate program is being taken up to the point that replacements are not readily available, so will take my time to decide whether and when to take advantage.
I just wish the Elevate could be done via my usual hifi dealer that would take away the worry of shipping and waiting for confirmation they have been received.

I have two new Phantom 103's that replaced my previous generation Silvers and I must say, they are a completely different experience.
Same unbelievable sound and dynamics but much more stable!
It finally just works the way something at this price point should.
And the new remote also makes things easier.
It feels like Devialet has focused on the software components of their devices, finally!
I agree. Come from 1st generation silvers. Swapped to two black 108’s. Verry pleased with them. Once installed they work and sound suppurb. Connected with optical from my bluray player works perfect too. No delays what so ever. The new remote is a real treat. I can confirm the timescedule as posted here as wel. The whole elevate procedure was verry efficient sending my old ones in from the Netherlands. Verry verry happy with my set 😎