Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using Mac Mini as streamer plus music server
Few months back, I moved from my Macbook Air to a Roon Nucleus. My Nucleus streams direct to my Devialet over AQ Diamond Ethernet. Never looked back again ... no regrets !! SQ is waaayy superior with the Nucleus compared with the Macs.
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
(26-Dec-2018, 14:07)roestano Wrote: @midi
After using a Mac Mini I have bought an INNUOS Zenith, which I am still using. For the moment (once again) with ROON (trial licence) as a Roon Core. Very comfortable and without problems (but DSD files are not really possible with the Zenith as a core). I have used the Zenith before as an UPnP server, also without problems, but there is no software for that with a real good UI (the best one is MConnect m.o.). The Zenith is connected via USB to the Devialet. I think there are less other devices on the market with this possibilities.
-------
How did it improve on sound? Is it possible to play direct via Ethernet (play) output? was your mac standard or tweaked?
The Melco seems to sound a lot better via Ethernet than usb (review hifi-advice) albeit not on a devialet system.

The Zenith plays direct as ROON endpoint via USB to the Devialet or as Core via Devialet Air ETH. I prefer the USB connection, for me a little more relaxing sound. INNUOS recommends USB too.
Formerly Devialet 220PRO CI, Magico A3, 2 Gold Phantoms, Dialog/Raspberry PI2 Digi+, ROON Rock NUC8i3, Bluesound Powernode 2i, B&W 607, Audirvana
As this is about experience in using Mac Mini as a music server/streamer, here‘s what I encountered with a Mac Mini 2018 bought about a week ago: I intended to use the Mac Mini just as that, as a server/streamer to free my aging Mac Book Pro. I therefore bought a powerful new 6-core i7 with 16 GB RAM and 1 TB internal SSD storage running the latest Mojave OS. I have my music library stored on an external Samsung 2 TB SSD drive that I connected via USB-C to my new Mac Mini. I migrated my Roon license from the Mac Book Pro laptop onto the new Mac Mini. I should sah that my previous setup ran perfectly fine with Roon.

Migration went perfectly fine and the Mac Mini streamed music to my Devialet Expert 120 via Ethernet Cat 7a. But when I started streaming 24/192 files stored locally on my external SSD, crackling set in and made listening impossible! Occasional crackles occured with 24/96 files, but not at all with 24/48. Normal Redbook files streamed without hickups. I was getting annoyed and migrated Roon back to my Mac Book Pro running High Sierra as OS. No cracklings whatsoever, not even with 24/192 files. All perfectly smooth and fine!

I also tried Audirvana + with my files connecting to the Devialet with Air: same effect, crackles were pronounced with 24/192 files, rare with 24/96, and non exising with 24/48 or 16/48 files.

I suspect the culprit to be Air that has a an issue with Mojave OS.

For the moment, I switched back to using my Aurender N100H as this setup works absolutely flawlessly via USB. I guess I have to wait till either Roon or Devialet fixes issues with Mojave and Air. Rather disappointed at the moment!
SonicTransporter i5 - AirPort Extreme - Devialet Expert 120 - ATC SCM 19 v1
Haven‘t tried, will do and report back.
I use Devialet Air with 2012 Mac mini with Mojave/Audirvana Plus with no issue. This set up works flawlessly. I saw a few other reports regarding 2018 Mac mini problems (noise/skip).
Mac Mini Late 2012(Amarra Symphony/Audirvana)/DELA N1A Mk1 - [AIR Ethernet] -  Devialet 800 (Power Cable - AET HIN AC EVD) - [Speaker Cable - Nanotec Systems SP♯79MK2] - Wilson Audio Sasha
Well, I solved the problem of crackling sound with high-resolution files. It was my own stupidity of connecting my Devialet into the socket of a wrong LAN that I had installed in parallel to the one I am using for the Mac Mini. Once I connected the Devialet into the correct socket, everything worked flawlessly.

So no issues whatsoever with the newest Mac Mini generation running Roon in Mojave.

Phew, was I relieved of not having spent a considerable amount of money for a Mac Mini that wouldn't do the job. All is fine now!
@Sailor4W Good news! Have you compared the 6-core to an older 4-core Mini? I would suspect the difference not to be substantial because of Roon. The Nucleus only has an i3 chip and 4Gb RAM.

@audio_engr Can you explain SQ increase in percentages? For example: soundstage, detail, clarity etc...
@roestano

Some of my observations listed below are using the Roon Nucleus unboxed with its supplied power supply which is a typical computer laptop PSU.

1. Streaming directly from the Roon Nucleus to the Devialets, the music is a lot more quieter. You can hear more into the low level details now than you would earlier with the Macbook Air setup.

2. The tonal characteristics too have changed ... its more rounded in a nice way that is more "real sounding" ... I'm a hobbyist violinist and now the violins are sounding soooo real and accurate. It's more analog ... but there's no masking of the sound. It's more organic ! The sound is more richer and warm.

3. The soundstage is better delineated ... better soundstage width, depth & height and more of 3-dimensionality ...

Since then, I built an oversized Linear Power Supply with choke using Audioquest powercords and Cardas internal wiring and once that was incorporated into my system, all the above 1-3 went a measure (or couple of measures) higher ...

Now, from here, I did try and go back to my Macbook Air but no way ... it just sounds anemic !!

Hope this helps !
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
(31-Dec-2018, 11:56)alaw Wrote: A Roon Nucleus is a standard Intel NUC board in a nice case, no magic. A DIY NUC build with ROCK, and perhaps a fan-less case, *should* give all the same benefits, save the "home automation" functions. https://kb.roonlabs.com/ROCK:_Getting_Started

True! However Intel seems to be doing something very right with their NUC’s. Smile See https://devialetchat.com/Thread-%C2%A320...o-%C2%A35K for some pointers and NUC recipes that are quite the ‘hype’ (in a positive sense) now on computeraudiophile.com.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
@Antoine Have you had time to replace the LPS yet? Because now it seems the NUC does not surpass the SMS-200. I would prefer to try that route first before burning my hands on fiddling with a NUC.

In either case, I probably would still need my Mac mini and NAS wouldn't I? Would that SQ be comparable with a standalone server like the Nucleus or Melco?
I was considering selling my Mac for a dedicated server, but now I'm again distracted by considering a streamer (keeping the Mac as a Roon core and Nas as server).
Reason for focusing on a audiophile server is that sometimes the mac/nas / D200-eth air combo sounds good. So in my mind it's not the streaming part that needs upgrading.

Another option is buying the Euphony software for the Mac. It has great reviews and would turn the Mac into a dedicated audiophile sort of NUC. Anyone heard Euphony??

In general, if you have about €1000, which investment would have the best bang for the buck? A better server or a dedicated streamer (combined with NAS)? bare in mind I'd like to spend less (also secondhand) if the gain is not substantial, and I like to keep the number of boxes/cables as low as possible.
What I love about my setup right now for example, is the fact that I just need to start up Roon on my iPad and the D200 automatically starts up (if my Mac is not asleep). No need to log in or turn on multiple boxes....