Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using a Digital Out SPDIF to Record LPs
Why can't you configure one of the RCA connections for Digital out and use that to record an LP?

SPDIF out to a computer with appropriate software. Seems simple BUT IS IT? 

Do you need any additional HW equipment?
Synology 713+ -> Aurender N10 -> D 200 -> Legacy Audio Focus SE speakers. ClearAudio Emotion TT. Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker and Galileo (USB) Interconnects and Synergistic PowerCell UEF S - Virginia U. S. A.
(23-Apr-2018, 17:13)rwjr44 Wrote: Why can't you configure one of the RCA connections for Digital out and use that to record an LP?

I am not sure why you would want to do this since the USB connection is an easier way of recording an LP on your computer.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(23-Apr-2018, 17:25)f1eng Wrote:
(23-Apr-2018, 17:13)rwjr44 Wrote: Why can't you configure one of the RCA connections for Digital out and use that to record an LP?

I am not sure why you would want to do this since the USB connection is an easier way of recording an LP on your computer.

Thanks but I am using that port as input from my Aurender which doesn't record. I also don't want to remove an interconnect everytime I want to record.
Synology 713+ -> Aurender N10 -> D 200 -> Legacy Audio Focus SE speakers. ClearAudio Emotion TT. Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker and Galileo (USB) Interconnects and Synergistic PowerCell UEF S - Virginia U. S. A.
Then you may consider a Mutec MC3. It will do conversion from SPDIF to USB and re-clock the signal. That will probably give you even better vinyl rips than going direct from USB of the Devialet.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB

Please excuse my ignorance. I am not understanding this. I thought the USB connection on the Devialet  is input only. From what you have said it suggests it can be used as an output. Is that correct? The reason for my interest is that I want to connect a headphone to my system. I have a dac with a pre amp capability including headphone. I can’t use the conventional option of changing the two digital inputs to pre amp RCA out, because my dac only has options of digital inputs. However, if the USB socket can be used as an output, I might be able to work with that.

Sorry, I know this is off topic, but I figured the original question had been answered satisfactorily, and the thread would stop there. My question is just a tangential consideration from the original question.
(25-Apr-2018, 01:53)Greg Wrote:

Please excuse my ignorance. I am not understanding this. I thought the USB connection on the Devialet  is input only. From what you have said it suggests it can be used as an output. Is that correct? The reason for my interest is that I want to connect a headphone to my system. I have a dac with a pre amp capability including headphone. I can’t use the conventional option of changing the two digital inputs to pre amp RCA out, because my dac only has options of digital inputs. However, if the USB socket can be used as an output, I might be able to work with that.

Sorry, I know this is off topic, but I figured the original question had been answered satisfactorily, and the thread would stop there. My question is just a tangential consideration from the original question.

Pardon me for jumping in, but yes, the USB connector on the Devialet is two way. You can use it as an input, or in your case, @Greg, as an output for your headphone amp.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
(25-Apr-2018, 02:54)IAxel Wrote:
(25-Apr-2018, 01:53)Greg Wrote:
(23-Apr-2018, 17:25)f1eng Wrote: I am not sure why you would want to do this since the USB connection is an easier way of recording an LP on your computer.

Pardon me for jumping in, but yes, the USB connector on the Devialet is two way. You can use it as an input, or in your case, @Greg, as an output for your headphone amp.
Thank you @Axel. That has sorted my problem. I’m much obliged.
Going back to @rwjr44 's original problem. I notice that you are using an Aurender N10. So one option you have would be to use the Aurender to feed the Devialet via AES/EBU, thus leaving the Devialet's USB free for recording duties.

As you use the Aurender via USB, I am guessing this is because it sounds best to you this way, which is fair enough. But if you are going though an extended period where you will be recording via USB, this at least gives you a working solution that does not require regular swapping of USB cables, and who knows, after a couple of months trying the Aurender via AES/EBU, you might get to like it! Just an idea.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(25-Apr-2018, 13:17)Confused Wrote: Going back to @rwjr44 's original problem.  I notice that you are using an Aurender N10.  So one option you have would be to use the Aurender to feed the Devialet via AES/EBU, thus leaving the Devialet's USB free for recording duties.

As you use the Aurender via USB, I am guessing this is because it sounds best to you this way, which is fair enough.  But if you are going though an extended period where you will be recording via USB, this at least gives you a working solution that does not require regular swapping of USB cables, and who knows, after a couple of months trying the Aurender via AES/EBU, you might get to like it!  Just an idea.

I may have to do that. The trouble is this will be a lengthy process and I want to get at least the audio quality that I have now AND I am not sure that I want to spend the requisite money. I'll look into the Mutec option. 

Thanks.
(24-Apr-2018, 22:02)ogs Wrote: Then you may consider a Mutec MC3. It will do conversion from SPDIF to USB and re-clock the signal. That will probably give you even better vinyl rips than going direct from USB of the Devialet.

I'll consider that option. Thank you.