Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using random SAM profiles on unSAMable speakers
(13-Jun-2015, 17:10)Manoet Wrote: Wish I understood better what exactly happened between 7.1.3 and 8.1 (a, b or c) that would cause such a dramatic impact on a particular SAM profile. While the SQ between 7/8 FW to me seems minimal-to-barely perceptible if any, the SAM profile in my particular situation had to be lowered to 44 in 8.1 (a, b or c) from the 92 I was using in 7.1.3 to achieve identical or close as short-term memory permits to my original setting. I've wracked my brain but nothing makes sense. I've seen others also lowered their SAM setting in 8.1 but that doesn't help me understand 'why.' I realize knowing is kinda like a dog chasing a car... whatta I do with it if I catch it!?!  But still curious. Anyone?

I don't know either. I'm still wondering why they have two different sets of parameters between the left and right speakers. That would make sense for room correction where the positioning of speakers is never symmetrical between the two speakers. 

So far and for what I can tell, the two sets of parameters are identical for my speakers. I have a hard time figuring a situation where the right and the left speakers would show differ modeling, but that's probably why I'm in the telecom business and not working for Devialet...

This being said, according to their writing, since they are able to model much more complex speakers with V2 than with V1 the algorithm is obligatorily different. 

They also say that they have a better handling of high SPL, so I suspect that V1 and V2 should be close to each other at low volume, when you stay far away from the limits of the woofer. At higher SPL, SAM V2 may be able to run he woofer closer to its true limits and therefore should produce a high bass SPL, explaining why people who try to match what V1 was doing end up tuning SAM to a Lowe percentage. 

Personally, on my speakers, I was using SAM at 100% with SAM V1 and am still using it at 100% with SAM V2.
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
Thanks Jean-Marie! I'm pretty sure the answer is in the V1/V2 explanation somewhere, least for me as I'm running a SAM profile for a speaker that is 3.5% less sensitive/efficient than mine. Tho I wouldn't have thought that could create a whopping 50%+ difference with V2. On 2nd thought, perhaps not since many of the others have lowered their percentages near 50% as well even when running a SAM profile specifically made for their speakers. At least I'm comfortable with this explanation. A definite maybe trumps "I dunno" every time ;-)

I've always believed the redundant L/R channel parameters is likely related to some future room correction provision tho I'll be pleasantly surprised if that's a freebie.
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!