Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Very important Sam?
Quanto è importante Sam nei tuoi sistemi?
I miei Avatar Avalon non hanno Sam, ho testato il mio D200 con Totem Forest, Avalon Idea, Harbeth 40.1 da amici, ho sempre beneficiato di Sam.
Mi piace D200 con Avatar, ma vorrei altoparlanti con Sam, stavo pensando a Eggleston Fontaine 2 o Wilson Bennesch Square 2, la mia stanza non è grande.
Clearaudio Solution Cmb - Clearaudio Syncro Power - Achromat - The Wand Plus II - AT Oc9 III - Nuc Cirrus7  Roon Rock - Cisco sg200-08 - D220 Expert Pro Ci - PMC LB1 Signature with SAM - Egglestonworks Fontaine II - 2x BK 200Xls ff Mk2 - Meicord Eth - Siltech New York - Audioquest Nrg Z3 - HAF Drc

Marietto - Italia
(23-Jul-2019, 16:23)Marietto Wrote: Quanto è importante Sam nei tuoi sistemi?
I miei Avatar Avalon non hanno Sam, ho testato il mio D200 con Totem Forest, Avalon Idea, Harbeth 40.1 da amici, ho sempre beneficiato di Sam.
Mi piace D200 con Avatar, ma vorrei altoparlanti con Sam, stavo pensando a Eggleston Fontaine 2 o Wilson Bennesch Square 2, la mia stanza non è grande.

Google Translate:
How important is Sam in your systems?
My Avalon Avatars don't have Sam, I tested my D200 with Totem Forest, Avalon Idea, Harbeth 40.1 from friends, I always benefited from Sam.
I like D200 with Avatar, but I would like speakers with Sam, I was thinking of Eggleston Fontaine 2 or Wilson Bennesch Square 2, my room is not big.

The only way to get the Avatar SAM'ed is to check with Devialet support if there are any plans for it. Alternative is to check with them if SAMlab is scheduled for a place near you.
I was lucky as SAMlab had sessions in my home town so I got my modified speakers measured.
What about Idea. Not good in your room? I am not familiar with the other two you mention
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(24-Jul-2019, 10:45)ogs Wrote:
(23-Jul-2019, 16:23)Marietto Wrote: Quanto è importante Sam nei tuoi sistemi?

Google Translate:
How important is Sam in your systems?
My Avalon Avatars don't have Sam, I tested my D200 with Totem Forest, Avalon Idea, Harbeth 40.1 from friends, I always benefited from Sam.
I like D200 with Avatar, but I would like speakers with Sam, I was thinking of Eggleston Fontaine 2 or Wilson Bennesch Square 2, my room is not big.

The only way to get the Avatar SAM'ed is to check with Devialet support if there are any plans for it. Alternative is to check with them if SAMlab is scheduled for a place near you.
I was lucky as SAMlab had sessions in my home town so I got my modified speakers measured.
What about Idea. Not good in your room? I am not familiar with the other two you mention
Sorry, I thought I had used the translator ..

The Avalon Ideas are fantastic, but they are over budget.
I have a Devialet dealer at 80km and a 170km but no Devialet visit is planned

So I understand that it's important for you to have SAM
Clearaudio Solution Cmb - Clearaudio Syncro Power - Achromat - The Wand Plus II - AT Oc9 III - Nuc Cirrus7  Roon Rock - Cisco sg200-08 - D220 Expert Pro Ci - PMC LB1 Signature with SAM - Egglestonworks Fontaine II - 2x BK 200Xls ff Mk2 - Meicord Eth - Siltech New York - Audioquest Nrg Z3 - HAF Drc

Marietto - Italia
Yes, SAM is very good for my speakers. I use room correction in addition (Audiolense XO) Measurement is done with SAM set to 90%. The end result is very good even if my speakers are "cheap" (around 200£ for the pair in 1990). Like you I've looked at the Idea. It is a very nice speaker, but too costly for me too.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
I bought my 140 a bit over 3 years ago. My speakers at the time were Dynaudio Contour 1.3 SEs. I used SAM with them and liked the results. Since then I've upgraded my speakers to Focal Sopra 2s but I didn't like the result I get with them and SAM so I no longer use SAM.

SAM changes the balance between the bass and the midrange, simply because it corrects phase below 150 Hz and provides additional bass extension. There's no guarantee that you will like the change. My advice is simple, if you're going to buy a Devialet then buy it on the basis of how it works with your speakers with SAM turned off. If you like the result you get using SAM then you've got an extra but if you don't like the result with SAM then you know that you're going to like the result without SAM. If you like the result then SAM makes a nice amp slightly nicer but I wouldn't buy a Devialet because of SAM, I'd buy it on the basis how it works without SAM because there's no guarantee you're going to keep using the same speakers with the amp and you could end up buying speakers that don't have a SAM profile or you may find yourself not liking the way they sound with your new speakers.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
The SAM is a fine feature and I have liked it with all the speakers that have had. I really do like that we can freely adjust SAM % since it depends on your speakers and your listening room how much (if any) bass extension is needed. SAM at 0% does the phase correction with bass extension set to minimum.
Bluesound Node > Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 > Genelec 8351B & 7360A
Devialet 1000 Pro
Bluesound Node 2i > Genelec 8330
Tampere, Finland
(25-Jul-2019, 10:46)David A Wrote: ...
SAM changes the balance between the bass and the midrange, simply because it corrects phase below 150 Hz and provides additional bass extension.

In fact, I'm pretty confident in saying (it was mentioned on the forum some time ago), SAM corrects phase across the whole frequency range and not just below 150 Hz.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(25-Jul-2019, 12:59)thumb5 Wrote:
(25-Jul-2019, 10:46)David A Wrote: ...
SAM changes the balance between the bass and the midrange, simply because it corrects phase below 150 Hz and provides additional bass extension.

In fact, I'm pretty confident in saying (it was mentioned on the forum some time ago), SAM corrects phase across the whole frequency range and not just below 150 Hz.

That may be correct for some speakers, but when Maxime from Devialet did measurements for SAM on my speakers I brought only one box without the tweeter. He measured the bass/mid through the dividing network (a series inductor of 0.86 mH and a RC across the driver of 20uF/8R2). That indicates that the SAM correction is active up to at best 1.5kHz. Diagrams I got from Maxime afterwards indicate that correction stops between 200 and 300Hz.
Devialetless!