Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vivid Audio B1 or 1.5 with D220Pro
(02-Jan-2021, 18:16)Bartype Wrote: Well, to my experience, hearing the Giya G4 on a hifi show, which is pricewise close to the B1 Decade, i never heard a speaker disappearing so completely and leave you just with beautifull, aerial, detailed bliss...
That sounds good. Wil check if i can audition them on my system to Get aan idea if i like it.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
Hi, my wife and I spent an afternoon at a Vivid dealer a few years ago, and we heard several models (V1.5, B1, K1, and G1) all powered by a Devialet 240. We were impressed with the accuracy of the V1.5, but we felt it sounded a bit "thin", but this is a matter of taste. I think that this was without SAM. We really liked the B1 and all the higher models. We ended up buying the B1.

Your room will also make a difference. In the room we auditioned the V1.5, B1 and K1, the B1 actually sounded better than the K1, I think the K1 had too much bass for the room.
The effect of SAM on the Vivid 1.5, IMHO, was profound.  It took the bass response from 40Hz to about 20Hz (measurements from Devialet).  You might also consider the new Kaya series, as it is now the current entry level for Vivid Audio.  The two-way Kaya 25 effectively replaces the 1.5.  It has newer technology from the Giya and B1 Decade series.  It also has a SAM profile and will take bass from 36Hz to 19Hz (measurements from Devialet).  I believe it retails under 10K USD so it's probably around the same cost as a 1.5, unless you get one used or on sale.
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
(03-Jan-2021, 13:47)dcaplan Wrote: Hi, my wife and I spent an afternoon at a Vivid dealer a few years ago, and we heard several models (V1.5, B1, K1, and G1) all powered by a Devialet 240. We were impressed with the accuracy of the V1.5, but we felt it sounded a bit "thin", but this is a matter of taste. I think that this was without SAM. We really liked the B1 and all the higher models. We ended up buying the B1.

Your room will also make a difference. In the room we auditioned the V1.5, B1 and K1, the B1 actually sounded better than the K1, I think the K1 had too much bass for the room.
Thanks for your reply. Are you using SAM with the B1 at home? Which Devialet are you using?

(03-Jan-2021, 14:49)Flashman Wrote: The effect of SAM on the Vivid 1.5, IMHO, was profound.  It took the bass response from 40Hz to about 20Hz (measurements from Devialet).  You might also consider the new Kaya series, as it is now the current entry level for Vivid Audio.  The two-way Kaya 25 effectively replaces the 1.5.  It has newer technology from the Giya and B1 Decade series.  It also has a SAM profile and will take bass from 36Hz to 19Hz (measurements from Devialet).  I believe it retails under 10K USD so it's probably around the same cost as a 1.5, unless you get one used or on sale.
I am looking in the used market so the Kaya is out of my price range. Yes i did some research in SAM and it helps the speaker a lot. Without it i think it is no match to my semi active (bass) speakers.

Paul

Good luck!  If you purchase a 1.5, let us know how it performs in your system.

Michael
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
(04-Jan-2021, 15:12)Flashman Wrote: Paul

Good luck!  If you purchase a 1.5, let us know how it performs in your system.

Michael

I Will keep you updated i Will listen somewhere within 2 weeks i think.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk
I had aan rare opportunity to listen to both the V1. 5 and B1 speakers with my Devialet.

Yesterday we took a ride together with a friend and listened to the Vivid Audio V1.5 and the B1. Bring your own amplifier. Phone put on hotspot with wifi address of home and bubleupnp on and play but what a pleasure Devialet is then. We started by listening to the Vivid Audio V1.5 which didn't sound wrong, especially the low is not bad for a small speaker. Vivid Audio has done that well. Tonally we thought the speaker was not quite our thing. You notice that the drive is not always there and that, for example, the piano in PB Cafe Blue does not look that nice. Stimela also lacks drive and attack. Then switched to the B1.

The b1 well that was a bit different. Where we missed the drive, it was back here. Stimela sounded like you were there. PB Cafe Blue's piano was also very beautiful. The bass is very good for a speaker of this size. Will miss fractionally deep low compared to the T2 +, but is really steps better on all other fronts. For the money there won't be anything better 2nd hand out there anytime soon. what these speakers are very good at is that their high mids are very beautiful. The bass has a lot of layering and played a lot of songs like James Blake and the famous other songs and that went really well. The 1st speaker where I could live without the absolute deep low bass for the first time because what you get in return is simply super.

This was even without SAM activated. So still a an step to discover. Now have to decide if i want to spent that money on a speaker.

I also use a set of Vivid Audio B1 Decades with my Devialet 440PRO. I started off a set of B1's and then later had the opportunity to upgrade to the B1 Decades. The biggest improvement moving from the B1 to the B1 decades was the bass performance. The B1 has a SAM profile but not the B1 Decades, seeing as these were limited production special editions. Even without the the SAM profile, the B1 Decades' bass was both tighter and deeper thanks to a mid/bass driver from the Giya range and a more sturdy enclosure.

Below is a photo of my listening room. You will see that the B1 (both the standard and Decade) has twin coupled bass drivers, one front facing and the other rear facing. Both get the same signal but the rear one is attenuated above 100hz so it only supports with low bass output. The B1 therefore has quite a bit more bass response than the V1.5.

[Image: IMG-3901.jpg]

[Image: IMG-3902.jpg]

The Devialet and Vivid combination is a good one, the sound that you get is pretty uncoloured and accurate. If you like sound that is syrupy and sweet you won't like the combination, but then again you won't own a Devialet.

Build quality on these B1 Decades is stellar. One of the best systems I have heard to date was a set of Giya G1 Spirits driven by a pair of D-Premiers in dual mono.

Devialet 440PRO CI/ Mola Mola Tambaqui + Kalugas / Vivid Audio Giya G2
Cape Town, South Africa
(10-Jan-2021, 14:03)Drifter Wrote: I also use a set of Vivid Audio B1 Decades with my Devialet 440PRO. I started off a set of B1's and then later had the opportunity to upgrade to the B1 Decades. The biggest improvement moving from the B1 to the B1 decades was the bass performance. The B1 has a SAM profile but not the B1 Decades, seeing as these were limited production special editions. Even without the the SAM profile, the B1 Decades' bass was both tighter and deeper thanks to a mid/bass driver from the Giya range and a more sturdy enclosure.

Below is a photo of my listening room. You will see that the B1 (both the standard and Decade) has twin coupled bass drivers, one front facing and the other rear facing. Both get the same signal but the rear one is attenuated above 100hz so it only supports with low bass output. The B1 therefore has quite a bit more bass response than the V1.5.

[Image: IMG-3901.jpg]

[Image: IMG-3902.jpg]

The Devialet and Vivid combination is a good one, the sound that you get is pretty uncoloured and accurate. If you like sound that is syrupy and sweet you won't like the combination, but then again you won't own a Devialet.

Build quality on these B1 Decades is stellar. One of the best systems I have heard to date was a set of Giya G1 Spirits driven by a pair of D-Premiers in dual mono.
Better not show the pictures to my wife she likes red . The finish is really immaculate. It is an designer piece. I normally like ribbon Style tweeters for there Open sound. But this tweeter and mid range are even more Open and natural sounding. Ribbon are picky with there sweet spot but the B1 is not that picky. What is the oerformance gain in your opinion with SAM enabled for the B1?