Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Volume on Pass thru line connection to Surround receiver
Hello,

Besides the Devialet 200 i have an Anthem MRX 710, which was my main music source before. Of course i used it for videos too for great surround. Now, the Devialet has the fronts connected and i have configured the line connectors with the 'Pass thru' option. So, on paper the Anthem should be able to handle the volume of the Devialet, and thus being able to configure the new situation using the Anthems ARC method with microphone.

However, the volume coming from the Devialet is too low to be able to use the ARC method. I have to manually put the volume to the maximum possible setting on the Anthem (+12 db) and then still the volume of the sound coming from the fronts (spendor D7) connected to the Devialet is too low.

I have tried to set the Pass thru volume higher, but this doesn't seem to make a difference...

The default, -15 should normaly be loud enough. I don't know if it's something, but after configuring Pass thru, the display on the Devialet says -40 db (while it should be -15). -40 db is what it sounds like indeed...

Am i missing something and is there someone with more experience with this kind of setup?

Thanks in advance!
Devialet 250 Expert Pro / Nordost Valhalla Bi-Wire / Sonus Faber Olympica II
Anthem MRX 710 / B&W MT-60D
Paul Hynes SR7/T LPS / Intel Core i7 NUC-Plato X7D with Roon Lifetime / Melco S100 Switch with 2 x Ansuz Ethernet A2
Dr. Feickert Woodpecker II with Inertia Platter / Dr. Feickert Linear / Jelco TK-850L Arm / Shelter 501 III Cartridge

Power: AQ Niagara 3000 with AQ Tornado to Furutech wall outlet <-> Doepke DFS 2 F Audio Fuse Box and 3 x AQ Blizzard to Components
What you describe should work fine. I have tried similar with a less glamorous Yamaha receiver, and it works without any issues, and indeed can go very loud indeed. Do you have anything you could connect to the Anthem's output as an experiment, thus establishing if the issue is with the Devialet or with the Anthem itself?

However, -40dB is clearly way to low. This is the normal default volume on start up, for normal inputs with volume control enabled. I suspect there is something subtly wrong in your configuration settings.
Works fine here, but I've set passthrough to 0dB as this is where it should be with equipment that outputs with normal output levels. If not I would prefer to compensate this using the 'max level' slider that configures the max. level input voltage (default 2Vrms). You can check the output level in the specs of your amp.

I also have the volume control, after input selection it's set to -25dB but in my case this only controls the volume of the pre-out to which my sub is connected. I never configured this and I have no clue as to why my Devialet defaults to this but it doesn't bother me, I dial it up to 0dB also all all is fine.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
Thank you for your replies, i will try the 0db setting and come back here to tell my findings...!
Paul Hynes SR7/T LPS / Intel Core i7 NUC-Plato X7D with Roon Lifetime / Melco S100 Switch with 2 x Ansuz Ethernet A2
Dr. Feickert Woodpecker II with Inertia Platter / Dr. Feickert Linear / Jelco TK-850L Arm / Shelter 501 III Cartridge

Power: AQ Niagara 3000 with AQ Tornado to Furutech wall outlet <-> Doepke DFS 2 F Audio Fuse Box and 3 x AQ Blizzard to Components
At 0 db still the same issue, the volume is too low to be picked up by the ARC process of the Anthem. When i select one of the surrounds speakers (just little B&W M1's, which are connected to the Anthem directly) they are producing a much louder test tone indeed...

Considering the max level slider, the specs of the Anthem state a 2 Vrms setting. Can changing this within the Devialet be harmfull?

Update: As Confused suggested, i have connected something else (a sonos ZP90, configured to control the volume) connected to the line in connection on the Devialet, while configured both normal and pass thru, set to 0 db. When in normal mode, i can control the volume as normal, and combined with the sonos volume this can go very loud.
However, at pass thru, the volume is low (even when set to 0 db). I can set the volume of the sonos to it's max and only then it's playing at what can be considered loud, but not deafening.

I also have set the Devialet pass thru volume to the max possible, +15 db. It can go to higher volumes (but not much) but also starts to sound awful when reaching the max volume of the sonos.

I am not sure what i can do further. The Anthem has always worked perfectly with the Spendor's connected to it directly. And the Devialet is working fine otherwise, and this pass thru option was a great +, but it should work as advertised...

Is there something else i can do?

Thanks again for the tips so far and in advance...

The ZP90 outputs a nice max. 2.0Vrms at full level https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/d...el-voltage
The Anthem should so this as well typically and in stereo direct mode (but could output a level as high as 3,5Vrms according to a manual I found online, this higher voltage however would rather clip the input of the Devialet and not show this low level issue)

So all should be well with both the Sonos and Anthem if there's no level trimmings etc. applied there and a Devialet configured (in the Configurator) at 0dB and 2Vrms unless there is some serious impedance mismatch or perhaps (hope not!) an issue with your Devialet. Did you change interlinks as well to rule out an issue with the cables?

I'd also contact Devialet for help.

Good luck in resolving the issue!
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
Thank you for your reply and suggestions. I have connected another set of cables, the same result within Anthem ARC (Anthem Room Correction). But when i do it manually there is a readout after 3 or 4 testones (10 needed per speaker for ARC tot do it's thing). That seems to be the reason why ARC is not working, there is a latency before it's picked up by the microphone, which is not there with the directly connected speakers (those still sounds louder with the testtones).

When i just play a movie, it seems the Spendor's connected to the Devialet (configured with pass thru at 2 Vrms and 0db) just seem to work at good volume. Now it's possible to do a complete manual setup, but ARC is just one of the best methods tot do it for you so... But for now it seems an issue for which i have to look at the Anthem.

(06-Jun-2015, 13:10)Bartype Wrote: Thank you for your reply and suggestions. I have connected another set of cables, the same result within Anthem ARC (Anthem Room Correction). But when i do it manually there is a readout after 3 or 4 testones (10 needed per speaker for ARC tot do it's thing). That seems to be the reason why ARC is not working, there is a latency before it's picked up by the microphone, which is not there with the directly connected speakers (those still sounds louder with the testtones).

When i just play a movie, it seems the Spendor's connected to the Devialet (configured with pass thru at 2 Vrms and 0db) just seem to work at good volume. Now it's possible to do a complete manual setup, but ARC is just one of the best methods tot do it for you so... But for now it seems an issue for which i have to look at the Anthem.

I've noticed similar lack of volume level issues in my HT setup and D200 bypass setting.  I can't recall the configuration dB settings, but I have to use my Integra Preamp/Processor at nearly 90% of the available volume range on it for a solid immersive sound, especially on an action movie.  This is after running the dsp Audyssey MultEQXT32.  If I read correctly, no luck with altering the Devialet configuration bypass settings?

Thx

Kenreau
Synology DS412+> Aurender S10> AQ Wel AES > Devialet 200> AQ Castle Rock Bi-Wired > Vandersteen 5As.
(22-Jul-2015, 01:20)kenreau Wrote:
(06-Jun-2015, 13:10)Bartype Wrote: Thank you for your reply and suggestions. I have connected another set of cables, the same result within Anthem ARC (Anthem Room Correction). But when i do it manually there is a readout after 3 or 4 testones (10 needed per speaker for ARC tot do it's thing). That seems to be the reason why ARC is not working, there is a latency before it's picked up by the microphone, which is not there with the directly connected speakers (those still sounds louder with the testtones).

I've noticed similar lack of volume level issues in my HT setup and D200 bypass setting.  I can't recall the configuration dB settings, but I have to use my Integra Preamp/Processor at nearly 90% of the available volume range on it for a solid immersive sound, especially on an action movie.  This is after running the dsp Audyssey MultEQXT32.  If I read correctly, no luck with altering the Devialet configuration bypass settings?

Thx

Kenreau

Wel, i have it working now and being able to use the ARC system of the Anthem. Pass thru is set to 2 Vrms and 0 db pass-thru. Still, the Anthem has to set the fronts, controlled by the Devialet to around +8 db, while the center and surrounds are around 0 db...

But it works, and music in movies and series never sounded this good!