Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Warm companion
Hi all,
By accident really I touched the companion and was suprised that it was quite warm as the 1000 pro had been off since yesterday evening. The master on the other hand was cold. Connection is via AES/EBU.
Any idea's?
Cheers,
Bill.
Devialet 1000pro C1. Aurender N10 Wilson Benesch A.C.T. ONE Evolution P1 Naim headline Naim highcap Sennheiser HD 800 Naim Super Lumina speaker cable. Shunyata Delta EF mains cables. 2 PSI AVAA C20 active acoustic absorbers.
By "accident" eh?  Angel

Do you leave your 1000 Pros in standby or do you fully shut them off via the remote? 

As I recall it is not unusually for the companion to be a little warm, someone else can correct me if I am wrong. This is due to it "waiting" for  wake up call from the master. I believe some users use the Trigger In/Out connected between the two units and report that this results in the companion being less "warm".

Mine are connected to a power conditioner which I turn off when done for the day. Those both units are no longer be fed any power whatsoever.

I am sure someone else will have a better answer for you.
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
Hi Baddog,
I leave my 1000pro in standby, I would have thought both units would be warm not just the companion!
cheers
Bill.
Devialet 1000pro C1. Aurender N10 Wilson Benesch A.C.T. ONE Evolution P1 Naim headline Naim highcap Sennheiser HD 800 Naim Super Lumina speaker cable. Shunyata Delta EF mains cables. 2 PSI AVAA C20 active acoustic absorbers.
Hello Bill, all kidding on my part aside, here is an article from Devialet which discusses the companion's temperature in dual mono mode.

Just a partial quote from the the link, "The companion unit remains warmer than the master, even in standby mode."
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
My Companion is slightly warm to the touch, while the Master is cold. The amps are turned off i.e. screens not illuminated and are not linked with a trigger cable.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
Hi Bill, my 1000 Pro has been on standby through the night. Checking it now by touch (via white glove!) the companion does feel noticeably warm but the master does not. If you hold your hand on the master for a few seconds, you can feel it is slightly warm also, it is just not as immediately noticeable as it is with the companion.

Firing the beast up from standby the temps read master 32/30/34, companion 35/35/40. It is interesting to note that after start up, the temps rise very quickly, a couple of degrees within the first minute.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Hi Axel and Confused,
Very many thanks for your input, it is most reassuring that you both find your companions are also warm.
The quote from Devialet recognising this as well really puts my mind at ease.
Cheers lots, Dev chat strikes again.
Bill.
I'd be very interested to hear from anyone that is using a trigger cable as to how it may be affecting temps. Other than allowing the companion to accept inputs, is there any other benefit to using a trigger cable? I am not since I don't need any more inputs, but now I'm wondering...
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
I could swear that someone posted on here that using the Trigger cable with a dual mono setup lowered the temperature of the companion when in stand by. However as this only works if one uses a S/PDIF to S/PDIF connection between the two units, and I use a S/PDIF to AES cable between the the two units, I have not tried this.
SXSW, US