Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What album are you listening tonight?
David Bowie/Black Star/ Qobuz Air3 from my laptop.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(11-Jun-2016, 15:02)GuillaumeB Wrote: This has absolutely wonderful sound quality and is fantastic! Superb recording and voice...

Melanie de Biasio - No Deal, 24/44.1 download from Qobuz

Guillaume

I'll second that, very beautiful!
Devialet 250 Expert Pro / Nordost Valhalla Bi-Wire / Sonus Faber Olympica II
Anthem MRX 710 / B&W MT-60D
Paul Hynes SR7/T LPS / Intel Core i7 NUC-Plato X7D with Roon Lifetime / Melco S100 Switch with 2 x Ansuz Ethernet A2
Dr. Feickert Woodpecker II with Inertia Platter / Dr. Feickert Linear / Jelco TK-850L Arm / Shelter 501 III Cartridge

Power: AQ Niagara 3000 with AQ Tornado to Furutech wall outlet <-> Doepke DFS 2 F Audio Fuse Box and 3 x AQ Blizzard to Components
(10-Jun-2016, 09:48)teddlesdee Wrote: I have recently discovered 'Roger Walters' and his 1992 album 'Amused to Death' on HD Tracks site, so took a punt and downloaded the high res version on a whim.

...I am hooked!

It took several listening sessions (did think I had made a mistake to start with), but each song gently draws you in.

Being old (like some others here) his songs initially reminded me of the 80's 'protest' songs, which at the time left me cold... but this album is so full of story (albeit a little dated now), ambience, and messages, being delivered by his raspy but very tuneful voice, mixed in the background sounds and brilliantly composed musical accompaniment, adding up to a separate and very enjoyable 'journey' for each song with so much detial!

Yes, highly recommended!

[Image: Roger_Waters_Amused_to_Death.jpg]

IMO this is the best piece of work by Roger Waters, unsung and oberlooked at the time it was released.
James Guthrie's achievement on the remastered edition made it even better.
Jeff Porcaro's groove on the song "It's a Miracle" and Jeff Beck's guitars on a couple of songs are jaw-dropping. 
I don't  share mr Waters political views, and consider that a record can hardly be an appropiate medium to seriously investigate social or political issues without being simplistic or even caricatural. However, the main topic inspired by Neil Postman book "Amusing Ourselves to Death" can retrospectively appear prophetic.
I second your opinion : "highly recommended" indeed !
Bruno

Auralic Aries g2.1 / Chord Qutest / CLEARAUDIO Blackmotion - cartridge Clearaudio Virtuoso V2 mm/  /Gryphon Diablo 300 / Blue jeans cable / Apertura Edena Evolution
Porcupine Tree "Fear of a Blank Planet"

[Image: foabp-300x300.jpg]

Thoughtful, dark-ish but melodic prog rock.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Avro Pärt: Litanei [DSD]

Perfect to forget everything around me......

Bricasti M1 SE DAC -> Pass labs XP30 & XP25 phono -> Bryston B28sst2 -> Sonus Faber Amati Futura  -> JRiver MC 21 -> Synology NAS / Quboz  - Denon DP 7000 SME 5012
D1000pro -> Magico V2 -> Fanless NUC i5 (Broadwell) -> Jriver MC 21/ Bauer DPS3i / Lyra Kleos
The marvellous 1967 recording of Verdi's Requiem ripped with iTunes to alac in my study through NAD amp and old Proac EBS speakers.

Sutherland-Horne-Pavarotti-Talvela- Vienna St Opernchor Sir Georg Solti
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

Fakear, Animals. 

http://player.qobuz.com/#!/album/0060254793816

Sounds very good  :-)

Especially appreciate  "La Lune Rousse"

Another example of "La" French Touch  Big Grin
MacMini -> Audirvana +AudioUnits -> Devialet "The 120" (USB) -> BW 802 Di -> My room -> My ears 
And other stuff for Home Cinema...
FR
[Image: Memphis_Blues.png]
Cindy Lauper - Memphis Blues
Genre: Blues.
Streaming from Qobuz

This is just a total joy to listen to. I think it's just totally unexpected that Cindy Lauper has made a blues album, very pleasantly surprised by this.
Devialet 200 <> Bowers & Wilkins 805 Diamond <> Aurender N100 <> Clearaudio Concept MC <> Audioquest Rocket 44/Coffee USB

The Netherlands
(14-Jun-2016, 18:59)La Bruno Wrote:
(10-Jun-2016, 09:48)teddlesdee Wrote: I have recently discovered 'Roger Walters' and his 1992 album 'Amused to Death' on HD Tracks site, so took a punt and downloaded the high res version on a whim.

...I am hooked!

It took several listening sessions (did think I had made a mistake to start with), but each song gently draws you in.

Being old (like some others here) his songs initially reminded me of the 80's 'protest' songs, which at the time left me cold... but this album is so full of story (albeit a little dated now), ambience, and messages, being delivered by his raspy but very tuneful voice, mixed in the background sounds and brilliantly composed musical accompaniment, adding up to a separate and very enjoyable 'journey' for each song with so much detial!

Yes, highly recommended!

[Image: Roger_Waters_Amused_to_Death.jpg]

IMO this is the best piece of work by Roger Waters, unsung and oberlooked at the time it was released.
James Guthrie's achievement on the remastered edition made it even better.
Jeff Porcaro's groove on the song "It's a Miracle" and Jeff Beck's guitars on a couple of songs are jaw-dropping. 
I don't  share mr Waters political views, and consider that a record can hardly be an appropiate medium to seriously investigate social or political issues without being simplistic or even caricatural. However, the main topic inspired by Neil Postman book "Amusing Ourselves to Death" can retrospectively appear prophetic.
I second your opinion : "highly recommended" indeed !

Just listened to. Excellent ! Remind me some tracks from "The Wall". No problem with any political message, don't understandanderstand enough  Big Grin .

By the way, the artwork is different : 

MacMini -> Audirvana +AudioUnits -> Devialet "The 120" (USB) -> BW 802 Di -> My room -> My ears 
And other stuff for Home Cinema...
FR
Villa-Lobos string quartets, Danubius Quartet

Mentioned before, but I keep coming back to these. Something new and interesting to hear every time I listen to them. (And plenty to choose from!)
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK