Poll: your best digital source
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
I don’t know as I only tried one source
6.85%
15 6.85%
disc player/transport via SPDIF
4.57%
10 4.57%
disc player/transport via AES/EBU
5.94%
13 5.94%
Computer via AIR/WIFI
6.39%
14 6.39%
Computer via AIR/Ethernet
28.77%
63 28.77%
Computer via USB
11.42%
25 11.42%
Music server via USB
9.59%
21 9.59%
Music server via SDIF or AES/EBU
16.44%
36 16.44%
Other
5.48%
12 5.48%
They all sound the same
4.57%
10 4.57%
Total 219 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the best digital source
(12-Aug-2014, 18:33)Rufus McDufus Wrote: In the interests of democracy I added a 'they all sound the same' option. Voting for this does rather depend on the voter having heard all the options though...!

Thanks, Rob.
Let's assume it means "all the ones I've tried have sounded the same".

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
Sonos Connect (W4S) > Devialet 200 > Vivid V1.5
Silver Phantoms (just the two)
London
For whatever reason, it certainly isn't because I have noticed a night and day difference, I find myself mainly listening to CDs nowadays, with some LPs.
FWIW my CD transport is connected by AES/EBU.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(02-Sep-2014, 19:55)f1eng Wrote: For whatever reason, it certainly isn't because I have noticed a night and day difference, I find myself mainly listening to CDs nowadays, with some LPs.
FWIW my CD transport is connected by AES/EBU.

I still prefer playing CDs not only sound quality wise but I find it more satisfying to find a physical object than scrolling on a screen.
My second best sounding option is presently what most favor: computer AIR/ethernet. But I recently struggle with the idea that digital downloads (or streaming) will be the future of high res music: Linn is shrinking its catalog, Qobuz is lacking investments, Pono music did not happen yet. There are a few audiophile sites with a very small catalog and not much music I am interested in. I very much hope that situation improves but the the mainstream music distribution apparently moves to streaming at low resolution.
(02-Sep-2014, 20:34)Music or sound Wrote: I still prefer playing CDs not only sound quality wise but I find it more satisfying to find a physical object than scrolling on a screen.
My second best sounding option is presently what most favor: computer AIR/ethernet. But I recently struggle with the idea that digital downloads (or streaming) will be the future of high res music: Linn is shrinking its catalog, Qobuz is lacking investments, Pono music did not happen yet. There are a few audiophile sites with a very small catalog and not much music I am interested in. I very much hope that situation improves but the the mainstream music distribution apparently moves to streaming at low resolution.

I am very happy not to have any CD players left in the house though I think our Blu-Ray players can play the horrid little things Tongue

A lot of my listening currently involves streaming from Qobuz as I'm exploring new genres (for me) some resulting from some great recommendations on here and having access to CD quality music makes this very enjoyable. Although the quality of Qobuz is good I often find that playing rips I've made from CDs is better than the streamed equivalent - typically a lot more 'body' to the sound. I'm not sure why this should be but am not too concerns. What I have discovered to my £ cost is that 24-bit versions ( of recent recordings at least) often do sound a lot better than the 16 bit equivalents. A great example of this is the ubiquitous Daft Punk 'Random Access Memories' which I find so much more interesting and enjoyable in 24 bit.

Whether higher quality steaming services will survive is a moot point. I read somewhere that even Spotify are not yet making a profit so perhaps the streaming business model in its current form is not viable.
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
Didn't know Daft Punk was available on 24bit. A good tip! Devialet's of course sound at their very best playing sometimes slightly annoying electro French house music. Although Devialet's are not at their best with normal Brittish punk for some reason.
(02-Sep-2014, 21:07)Confused Wrote: Didn't know Daft Punk was available on 24bit. A good tip! Devialet's of course sound at their very best playing sometimes slightly annoying electro French house music. Although Devialet's are not at their best with normal Brittish punk for some reason.

If you want to be amused/annoyed try Sexy Sushi or Psycho Tropical Berlin. I haven't tried 'real' punk apart from The Clash London Calling which sounds so much better on vinyl than CD Wink
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
(02-Sep-2014, 22:01)PhilP Wrote:
(02-Sep-2014, 21:07)Confused Wrote: Didn't know Daft Punk was available on 24bit. A good tip! Devialet's of course sound at their very best playing sometimes slightly annoying electro French house music. Although Devialet's are not at their best with normal Brittish punk for some reason.

If you want to be amused/annoyed try Sexy Sushi or Psycho Tropical Berlin. I haven't tried 'real' punk apart from The Clash London Calling which sounds so much better on vinyl than CD Wink
I have a copy of Le Femme's Psycho Tropical Berlin! Very good it is too! Plus a whole stack of original 70's punk vinyl. Haven't got round to playing any of them yet since getting my new turntable. Watch out for updates this on the "What are you listening to thread" some time soon .... (No idea who Sexy Sushi is though, I'll check it out)
After Kunter's comments I am now trying an Audioquest Diamond ethernet cable. No going back is correct, huge improvement from Vodka
(02-Oct-2014, 09:54)smokejumper Wrote: After Kunter's comments I am now trying an Audioquest Diamond ethernet cable. No going back is correct, huge improvement from Vodka

It's an excellent cable and it seems that most who try it agree. Another cable also worth trying is the TotalDac one:

http://www.totaldac.com/ethernet_cable-eng.htm

At 390 euros for 2M it's quite a bit cheaper than the Diamond and to my ears certainly equal in performance. It has quite a unique construction and is very different from anything else on the market: it has a massive choke comprising of dozens of ferrite rings, these supposedly act as a low pass filter.

I've also got a couple of Sablon ethernet cables here to try and will report back once I get a chance.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
The thread suggesting the Diamond is here: http://devialetchat.com/Thread-last-mile-ethernet
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands