Poll: your best digital source
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
I don’t know as I only tried one source
6.85%
15 6.85%
disc player/transport via SPDIF
4.57%
10 4.57%
disc player/transport via AES/EBU
5.94%
13 5.94%
Computer via AIR/WIFI
6.39%
14 6.39%
Computer via AIR/Ethernet
28.77%
63 28.77%
Computer via USB
11.42%
25 11.42%
Music server via USB
9.59%
21 9.59%
Music server via SDIF or AES/EBU
16.44%
36 16.44%
Other
5.48%
12 5.48%
They all sound the same
4.57%
10 4.57%
Total 219 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the best digital source
(06-Jan-2015, 19:04)marcbrown Wrote: So far with my 200 I have gotten far better sound using a Halide Bridge usb to SPDIF converter which is feed by an Aqvox external power supply. I tried a couple of expensive usb cables (Cardas and AQ) and went directly to Devialet using software from site, but none came close. The difference is immediately noticeable for myself and wife. I know this adds an extra step but by getting the computer out of direct connection to the Devialet is well worth it. I notice Berkeley Audio recommends using their usb to SPDIF with the TOL set-up they have also. I have considered testing the Berkeley usb to SPDIF but have not felt the need. I hope to test one day.

This is an interesting topic to read.  Marc, what is your music server / source? I currently use a mac mini and was considering trying a USB to SPDIF convertor until I picked up a TotalDAC USB filtered cable. 
Synology DS412+> Aurender S10> AQ Wel AES > Devialet 200> AQ Castle Rock Bi-Wired > Vandersteen 5As.
Not too sure what the best digital source is as I haven't tried all permutations - there are just too many combinations of NAS, Server, cable connection, combinations to try! This Forum details so very many ways of presenting digital music to the D range, so all I can say is that whatever you use that gives the sound you like, and presents your music in a satisfying way, is probably the best for you! I do however admire those that are happy to play/experiment with their systems to try and drag the best (however you define best) out of it.

I, myself, am happy with the sound I am achieving from my W4S Server via USB into my D400 and Wilson-Benesch ACT1s (waiting for SAM here!). This is not to say that I would be happier with another source - life's too short to worry about playing with too many combinations Wink  - my main priority is the music and not over analysing the "hi fi"! I will probably continue to experiment with different USB cables and amplifier digital inter-link cables (currently trying the Transparent Audio XL which is proving extremely good), but don't see changing much else at present.

David
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK
(07-Jan-2015, 01:38)kenreau Wrote:
(06-Jan-2015, 19:04)marcbrown Wrote: So far with my 200 I have gotten far better sound using a Halide Bridge usb to SPDIF converter which is feed by an Aqvox external power supply. I tried a couple of expensive usb cables (Cardas and AQ) and went directly to Devialet using software from site, but none came close. The difference is immediately noticeable for myself and wife. I know this adds an extra step but by getting the computer out of direct connection to the Devialet is well worth it. I notice Berkeley Audio recommends using their usb to SPDIF with the TOL set-up they have also. I have considered testing the Berkeley usb to SPDIF but have not felt the need. I hope to test one day.

This is an interesting topic to read.  Marc, what is your music server / source? I currently use a mac mini and was considering trying a USB to SPDIF convertor until I picked up a TotalDAC USB filtered cable. 

I also have a Mac mini with max memory and SS hard drive. I had the Halide Bridge from previous stereo. When I bought the 200 I figured the best would be the usb direct. After getting the Cardas and AQ cables and loading software off website testing began. I went back and forth multiple times. The Bridge was an easy choice (air, fluidity,detail). Since sorting this out I read the recent review of the TOL Berkeley DAC ( appr $18000) by Robert Harley. In that column Berkeley recommends using their usb to SPDIF convertor (appr. $2500) for far better sound. They feel the extra step is far better due to computer and it's inherent noise. My ears agree. Hope that helps some. 
Marc, that's good feedback to read.  I'm intending to move on to an Aurender device and they typically all use USB output as well (excluding the W10)  I guess I'll just need to try it both ways (with and without the USB to SPDIF bridge) to see how it impacts the sound quality.  

Thanks
Kenreau
Synology DS412+> Aurender S10> AQ Wel AES > Devialet 200> AQ Castle Rock Bi-Wired > Vandersteen 5As.
(08-Jan-2015, 03:19)kenreau Wrote: Marc, that's good feedback to read.  I'm intending to move on to an Aurender device and they typically all use USB output as well (excluding the W10)  I guess I'll just need to try it both ways (with and without the USB to SPDIF bridge) to see how it impacts the sound quality.  

Thanks
Kenreau

Kenreau, that is why I  brought up the subject  as  few seemed to be doing the same and I am curious to hear others comment on the same or similar set-up. What surprised me recently was in Robert Harley's review of the  Devialet 200 this issue in the Absolute Sound,he did not mention anywhere about testing the 200 with a usb to SPDIF convertor. Despite the fact that in the Berkeley Reference DAC review, a month or 2 earlier, he and Berkeley recommended using their usb to SPDIF convertor with their expensive DAC for superior sound. 
I just got my new D200 yesterday -> YIPPEE !!!
My audio pal also got a new D120 yesterday, and we both bought Kef LS50 a month ago as a "starter speaker" for our respective Devialets.

My previous setup was modified Audio Aero Capitole MK2-SE ( additional modes inside ) fed into Coda CM Ultra 600 watt monos ( amps are about 9 years old now, but former Coda top model ), and also a Nuforce 7-channel digital amp ( using only 2 channels)

In anticipation of Devialet, I built an Intel i7 Win7/Foobar PC with SSD, and used that to feed the DAC input of the Audio Aero via SPDIF. My pal with the D120 has built-up a Mac-Mini for his purposes and is using USB output.

BUT ... I also bought a used Bryston BDP-2 this week, and have to say I luv the dead quiet sonics coming out if it. The BDP-2 is a network streamer, AND can play music off of hard drives directly connected to its numerous USB ports. However, I opened the hood and installed a 1 TByte SSD ( there is location for a 2.5" drive ) instead of hanging a USB drive off it. Actually, inside there is a second SATA port running to the back of the unit for an eSATA device. This connector could be used for a 2nd internal SSD/SATA drive.

So I am going to roll with the BDP-2 feeding my D200, via AES/EBU or USB.
I prefer having a hardware appliance like the BDP-2 , vs a PC / Mac-Mini ( my needs are simple )
I am going to grab a Shunyata ETRON Anaconda AES/EBU and an AudioQuest Diamond USB and test out.
I am also on the hunt for a Berkeley Alpha USB ( usb-spdif converter )
I will sift through those combinations, and select a "winning combo".

... then on the hunt for a larger speaker
The Kef LS50 really knock my socks off, but I will either need a sub or go to a floor stander
I see KEf R900 are on the SAM list, and that is an affordable full-ranger.

Oh, and what do I think of the D200 ?
The first couple tracks I listened too I was "underwhelmed", but the more tracks I listened too, it became very obvious that the D200 is freaking awesome !
It is surprisimg the bass output of the SAM'd LS50. If I wasn't into Rock music or like my music with the bass wallop, one could easily forgo subs.

- Andy ( in Waterloo, Canada )
(16-Jan-2015, 13:50)ARL67 Wrote: I just got my new D200 yesterday -> YIPPEE !!!
My audio pal also got a new D120 yesterday, and we both bought Kef LS50 a month ago as a "starter speaker" for our respective Devialets.

My previous setup was modified Audio Aero Capitole MK2-SE ( additional modes inside ) fed into Coda CM Ultra 600 watt monos ( amps are about 9 years old now, but former Coda top model ), and also a Nuforce 7-channel digital amp ( using only 2 channels)

In anticipation of Devialet, I built an Intel i7 Win7/Foobar PC with SSD, and used that to feed the DAC input of the Audio Aero via SPDIF.   My pal with the D120 has built-up a Mac-Mini for his purposes and is using USB output.

BUT ... I also bought a used Bryston BDP-2 this week, and have to say I luv the dead quiet sonics coming out if it.  The BDP-2 is a network streamer, AND can play music off of hard drives directly connected to its numerous USB ports.  However, I opened the hood and installed a 1 TByte SSD ( there is location for a 2.5" drive ) instead of hanging a USB drive off it.  Actually, inside there is a second SATA port running to the back of the unit for an eSATA device.  This connector could be used for a 2nd internal SSD/SATA drive.

I prefer having a hardware appliance like the BDP-2 , vs a PC / Mac-Mini  ( my needs are simple )
I am going to grab a Shunyata ETRON Anaconda AES/EBU and an AudioQuest Diamond USB and test out.

The Kef LS50 really knock my socks off, but I will either need a sub or go to a floor stander

The first couple tracks I listened too I was "underwhelmed", but the more tracks I listened too, it became very obvious that the D200 is freaking awesome !
It is surprisimg the bass output of the SAM'd LS50.  If I wasn't into Rock music or like my music with the bass wallop, one could easily forgo subs.

- Andy    ( in Waterloo, Canada )

You should try the recently released USB reference cable from Stereolab.us
available on their web page.
Should be better than the AudioQuest Diamond USB.
D400; Stereolab Tombo Tron coaxial for master -> slave; Kubala-Sosna Elation interconnects, power, and speaker cables; Spendor D7 speakers; Bryston BDP-2 w. latest sound card & upgraded fuses; Bybee Stealth Power Purifier conditioner connected with IsoTek EVO3 Syncro SE to wall socket

In anticipation of Devialet, I built an Intel i7 Win7/Foobar PC with SSD, and used that to feed the DAC input of the Audio Aero via SPDIF.   My pal with the D120 has built-up a Mac-Mini for his purposes and is using USB output.

BUT ... I also bought a used Bryston BDP-2 this week, and have to say I luv the dead quiet sonics coming out if it.  The BDP-2 is a network streamer, AND can play music off of hard drives directly connected to its numerous USB ports.  However, I opened the hood and installed a 1 TByte SSD ( there is location for a 2.5" drive ) instead of hanging a USB drive off it.  Actually, inside there is a second SATA port running to the back of the unit for an eSATA device.  This connector could be used for a 2nd internal SSD/SATA drive.

I prefer having a hardware appliance like the BDP-2 , vs a PC / Mac-Mini  ( my needs are simple )

It is surprisimg the bass output of the SAM'd LS50.  If I wasn't into Rock music or like my music with the bass wallop, one could easily forgo subs.

Hi Andy! Great to hear about your new 200. How about creating a new thread in the "Your systems" section and adding some photos?  Smile

http://devialetchat.com/Forum-Your-Systems

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK

Please keep us posted on your audio journey. I am especially interested in the Berkeley usb to SPDIF convertor. Also agree about SAM, my 2 subs are almost not needed. Happy listening!
I'm sold on a sub with my LS50 > have a Kef R400b and will add a second R400b for fun
However running a sub means no SAM if I want to high pass the LS50 ... which I do.
Too bad we cannot config the Devialet to:
a) SAM enabled
b) be able to high-pass the mains
c) send a non-SAM'd pre-out to a sub

My source is still Bryston BDP-2 with internal SSD 1-Tbyte drive, now connected with Shunyata Etron/Ztron Anaconda AES/EBU to the D200.
The Etron Anaconda is Shunyata's top digital cable, and really good IMO.
I will re-borrow my friends Audioquest Diamond USB for another head-to-head.

I use a Shunyata Hydra-8v2 with Virtual Dynamics Master 2.0-LE cords on everything.
I did borrow an ESP Reference-1 power cord and it was "better" on my D200 than my VD.
ESP was more musical, less dark, more midrange & treble detail and flow.
I find cables that sound "dark" ( or a bit bass heavy ) obscure midrange & treble detail.
It's all system synergy, not that one is right or wrong.
It's either right or wrong dependent on our respective systems' makeup, and our listening preferences, room, etc

I also have all my gear on Symposium Ultra Platforms and Rollerblocks.
These are tweaks I have had for years, and just automatically employ under every piece of gear.

- Andy