Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What to buy? JCAT XE or pink faun USB Card?
I have my SOtM tX-USBexp since 5,5 years. It'sconnected to a JCAT USB Isolator and via two AQ Carbon cables to my D220 Pro. The SotM uses an ifi iPower 9V PSU.
SQ is very good but not as good as AIR (You hear the difference, it's not very huge but audible.) But AIR is not 100% stable so I use more USB than AIR.

There are now to interesting products on the market:

pink faun USB bridge with OCXO clock, they also offer an Ultra OCXO clock:

https://www.pinkfaun.com/shop/bridge/44-..._bridge-no

JCAT USB XE also using an OCXO clock

https://jcat.eu/product/usb-card-xe/

Any experiences, recommendations?

Thank you very much!
JRMC/ROON based Media Server - along C.A.P.S V4 Cortes (Win 10 Pro) -> LinkSys 5-Port Unmanaged Switch-> Media Renderer (JRMC; SoTM tx-USBexp, AQ NRG-Y3) ->Transparent AUdio Performance USB-> D220 PRO (AQ Blizzard)-> B&W 804S, Audeze LCD 2 Headphones; Audioquest Niagara 1200+AQ Blizzard; TV ->AQ Carbon Optical->D220 Pro
I am using Roon with my 440 Pro. The Roon Air is 100% stable for me, the sound quality is excellent.

The Devialet is Roon ready with the latest firmware so you can have the choice of Roon RAAT or the Roon implemtation of Air.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Roon Rock, Devialet 220 pro CI, Palmer 2.5 Turntable, AT OC9MLii, Classic Audio MC Pro Phono and Harbeth SHL5 Plus
I simply use an MIT SL Matrix USB cable from my Mac mini to my Expert and it beats AIR hands down. It has some sort of filter on it but no idea what's in it. They're in the same price range, if you can still find one.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
I’ve never ‘heard’ the new cards yet but I’d surely try using a better power supply than the iFi as well, perhaps even before changing the USB card. A PSU like the Paul Hynes SR4T for example would be a good option. It has multiple output voltage options so you can use it with new equipment as well.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
Thank you very much for all your input.

I have played a bit around yet. I had bought an AQ Niagara 1000 and 2x AQ Blizzard last year but did not retest all USB options I have again. All Devices TV, Devialet, Media Renderer, iFi for SotM and Switch are  plugged into the Niagara 1000.

I have in another PC JCAT Femto and will put the Sotm tx-USBexp together with the JCAT Femto in my JRiver based media renderer in the Living room and do a retest with/without the JCAT USB Isolator and AQ Carbon and or Transparent USB Cable again.

The current set-up with ifi PSU and SoTM tx-USBexp with the new Niagara 1000 sound's better without the USB Isolator (BD Diana Krall Live in Paris - striking of the piano keys has a light strange tonality now with the USB Isolator). I did this test last week. Without the USB Isolator it sounds more like Devialet AIR.

Before my purchase of the Niagara 1000 sound over USB had a digital glitch which I didn't like, the USB Isolator at that time got rid of the digital glitch.

I like the idea with the Paul Hynes PSU. For me it would be SR4BT-12 with 5V,7V,9V,12V to be flexible.

After retesting the different options I will decide about the Paul Hynes PSU.
JRMC/ROON based Media Server - along C.A.P.S V4 Cortes (Win 10 Pro) -> LinkSys 5-Port Unmanaged Switch-> Media Renderer (JRMC; SoTM tx-USBexp, AQ NRG-Y3) ->Transparent AUdio Performance USB-> D220 PRO (AQ Blizzard)-> B&W 804S, Audeze LCD 2 Headphones; Audioquest Niagara 1200+AQ Blizzard; TV ->AQ Carbon Optical->D220 Pro
(21-Jun-2020, 11:07)Manfred Wrote: Thank you very much for all your input.

I have played a bit around yet. I had bought an AQ Niagara 1000 and 2x AQ Blizzard last year but did not retest all USB options I have again. All Devices TV, Devialet, Media Renderer, iFi for SotM and Switch are  plugged into the Niagara 1000.

I have in another PC JCAT Femto and will put the Sotm tx-USBexp together with the JCAT Femto in my JRiver based media renderer in the Living room and do a retest with/without the JCAT USB Isolator and AQ Carbon and or Transparent USB Cable again.

The current set-up with ifi PSU and SoTM tx-USBexp with the new Niagara 1000 sound's better without the USB Isolator (BD Diana Krall Live in Paris - striking of the piano keys has a light strange tonality now with the USB Isolator). I did this test last week. Without the USB Isolator it sounds more like Devialet AIR.

Before my purchase of the Niagara 1000 sound over USB had a digital glitch which I didn't like, the USB Isolator at that time got rid of the digital glitch.

I like the idea with the Paul Hynes PSU. For me it would be SR4BT-12 with 5V,7V,9V,12V to be flexible.

After retesting the different options I will decide about the Paul Hynes PSU.

Since a few weeks I have the Paul Hynes SR4BT-12 LPSU with AQ Z3 1m power cable to power my Sotm tx-USBexp (7V, 1.5A). It's a really winner for me - digital glitch is not any more an issue and the dependency on different USB cable is small. The AQ Carbon has a little bit more bass than my Transparent Performance USB cable. The Transparent has a little more natural flow. But its hard to hear the difference because I have to switch the cables. and the difference is small.

My conclusion from a more general PoV is power quality and noise you must get right before comparing different USB cards and cables.
The Jcat USB XE is only goîng to ship to customers some time next week, nobody has one yet. I have one on order.

They are also going to release next an ethernet XE btw.

Cheers,
Bernard
Room: Gik Acoustics | Vibration: Townshend pods | Power: Shunyata Omega XC + Everest + Sigma NR v2 + Sigma ground cables | Source: Mojo Audio DejaVu EVO linux server running Roon core (Raat) | Ethernet: Sonore Optical module + Melco S10P with dedicated LPS + Shunyata Omega Ethernet x 2| Synchronous: Mutec MC-3 + USB (Paul Hynes SR7T LPS) + Cybershaft OP21A (Shunyata Omega USB, AES/EBU, clock cables) | Dac/Pre/Amplification: Devialet D1000 Pro CI (Chord Sarum T RCA-RCA link) | Speakers: Chord Sarum T cables + Wilson Benesch Act One Evolution P1
@Manfred, great that the SR4T worked out for you so well, enjoy! Smile
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands