Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whats wrong with my system
(16-Dec-2023, 09:09)markush Wrote:
(16-Dec-2023, 02:06)Saunter Wrote: In ROON i turned all DSP off and turned off the track processing along with a couple of other tweaks i read about.

What settings did you adjust?

Back ground audio analysis is off.
On demand audio analysis is off.
All audio zones are disabled except for my Devialet
In Audio device settings i have volume as fixed. Resync delay as zero. Others as required for Devialet
All DSP is disabled. This includes head room management and sample rate conversion. 

It is suggested to actually remove the DSP filters but i can't figure out how to do that.

I read about doing this on a Headfi forum so thought i would give it a try.
The disabling DSP definitely helped in my case.
(18-Dec-2023, 02:20)Saunter Wrote: It is suggested to actually remove the DSP filters but i can't figure out how to do that.

That sounds like someone telling you that you should remove the light bulb every time you turn the light off to save on power. Some people seem to 'hear improvements' in the unlikeliest places. Off means off. There's nothing more to it.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
After a lot more fiddling around with speaker placement and furniture placement i think i have the room part of it sorted and the improvement overall is pretty big.

A local store let me borrow some bass traps but they really didn't make much difference if any.
The store guys confirmed with measurements so all good there.

I was thinking that apart from flavouring the set up with different cable i was done but i wondered about bi amping.
It took a while to figure out how to do it with Devialets but in the end i ended up with a vertical biamping configuration.
I had never heard of this before. I aways thought biamping was two stereo amps with one feeding left and right tweeter and the other feeding left and right woofer/s.

The way i have it is with one amp doing the left speaker and the other doing the right but with the left outputs feeding the woofers and the right feeding the tweeters of the Dali Epicon 8.

This has made an obvious difference. Sound stage depth is improved with out question.
Also the sound stage seems taller and on some recordings layering seems to be better.
Eg, Eva Cassidy 'Golden Thread' just sounds amazingly deep with intruments set forward and back from each other.
I have never heard my set up sound anything like it before.

Initially i also thought there was a loss of bass depth and punch but after listening for a few more sessions i am not bothered if there is.
It isn't much if there is.

I mentioned before that i would try various speaker cables i have as well and in the biamping mode the differenced between the cables seems more apparent. For example if i use my Artisan Silver on the woofers and Mogami 3104 on the tweeters the midrange seems really quite hard sounding. If i use Mogami 3104 on the woofers and the Artisan silver on the tweeters it is better. So far though using Mogami 3104 to woofers and 3103 to tweeters has been the best (i think). These are the same wire but different gauges.

I have also tried Canare 4S11 feeding both, with 4S11 G (allegedly OFC higher grade copper) doing the highs but this is not as good as the double Mogami run to my ears.

Anyway apart from messing about with the small stuff i now have a good sounding system to my ears.
Mostly due to speaker placement and room changes. There is probably still a lot room for improvement but at least now i can go about exploring all though while still enjoying what i have.