Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which network to choose when doing Phantom set up?
Hi 

Have done full reset quite a few times - but now I have a the dialogue connected into an Airport express (which is connected to the main router) which network do I choose on my phone for Spark set up steps?

Airport is Ethernet only - so my choice on my iPhone is to choose the main network, or the Dialoguenetwork-50 / Dialoguenetwork-20 created by the dialogue 

I am pretty sure I just keep my phone on the normal network - as the dialogue ones prompt for a password I don't have! And set up works as expected like this.... but I had my first cut outs since installing Airport a couple of days ago so did a full reset again to be sure

But I just suddenly thought that I am somehow connecting things back through the main network instead of the dedicated / seperate one created by the Airport 

And the reason I bought the airport was to avoid this due to drop outs 

Thanks for anyone who can confirm for me Smile
(14-Nov-2015, 22:14)Jamington2004 Wrote: Hi 

Have done full reset quite a few times - but now I have a the dialogue connected into an Airport express (which is connected to the main router) which network do I choose on my phone for Spark set up steps?

Airport is Ethernet only - so my choice on my iPhone is to choose the main network, or the Dialoguenetwork-50 / Dialoguenetwork-20 created by the dialogue 

I am pretty sure I just keep my phone on the normal network - as the dialogue ones prompt for a password I don't have! And set up works as expected like this.... but I had my first cut outs since installing Airport a couple of days ago so did a full reset again to be sure

But I just suddenly thought that I am somehow connecting things back through the main network instead of the dedicated / seperate one created by the Airport 

And the reason I bought the airport was to avoid this due to drop outs 

Thanks for anyone who can confirm for me Smile
The Dialogue wifi networks are not accessible from your wifi enabled smartphones, tablets etc. They are solely for private wireless networking with the Phantoms. The Dialog Ethernet port should be connected to one of your router's LAN ports. I would ask if your router is a combined wireless access point/router/switch with a WAN port for connection to your DSL or CAMODEM for Internet access?

If so, then Dialog and Spark ( by signing in to your wifi SSID ) can interface with one another, access the streaming sources like Tidal, and any of your Computers, smartphones, tablets, NAS, etc that have music files (and are also connected to your router by wifi or Ethernet ).

Two more questions? Are your Phantoms wifi only, or are using CPL/Ethernet ?...... If you are wifi only, it is less stable, and if the instability continues consider adding CPL/Ethernet.

Do you have a source like a CD player, music player or TV connected to the optical in port on the Dialog?
Levinson 33 amps, Wilson Grand Slamm S3's, Levinson 32 ref pre and ad/da, Basis Ovation and Rega 40 with JSpall custom tone arms, Lyra, Ortofon & Grado cartridges, Marantz AV 8801, PSAudio phono pre, Devialet Dialog w  5 Gold Phantoms, Wilson powered subwoofer, Watch center, Wilson surrounds, Kaleidescape Movie server, Crestron AV controller and switch, 120 MBS docsis3 modem, 20 MBS xdsl modem, Peplink balance 20 router, Ruckus 802.11ac Wave 2 WAPS plus multi Pakedge WAPs, 48 port POE gigabit switch, NetGear 8TB NAS, Amazon Fire,ROKU and Apple TV gen 4, 12 core Mac Pro, Macbook Air Retina, 65" and 50" Runco TV's. Blue sound node 2, OPPO BDP105D, DSpeaker AntiMode 2.0, Octava HDMI/Optical switch, cabling Nordost for analog, Cardas and wireworld for digital/optical.
J-2004 -

Hi. You may be one of the few people that may read the couple of posts that I placed - and think it helps! I am new to Phantoms and a beginner Audiophile. But my background was in computers. It took me a month before I finally read the Devialet White Papers and listened to the advice I received from some great Devialet support staff such as Sebastien. In my post/s - you will find the answer to your question. My first couple of weeks - I reset my Phantoms and Setup too often - I literally spent more time placing my hands on my Phantoms then listening to them. The solution was to purchase a $100 Airport Express Router and follow the directions. Now from my iPhone 6s or Macbook Pro - I switch my WiFi from the standard SSID (WiFi Network) in my home to the private network that I setup for my Phantoms - BOOM! It works like a dream - Spark is instant - no more resets, no more configuration issues. My daughter and I have a large home - thus my network is very expansive - long story - but if you only need one router, you may want to switch it to a $100 Apple Airport - but even if you keep your router - my post should help a little. It was the result of 30 days of asking questions and trying new stuff. Good luck and enjoy!
Hi Ondastar - thanks so I have set it up as required Spark wifi wise Smile

Yes I have 3 sources connected to a manual optical switch connected to dialogue 

Instability started off seemingly caused by optical activation - but then then seemed to be both 

Instability really severe before Airport (cutting out for several seconds or dieing on one channel or both channels totally)......but since airport it seems more like "interference" with small cut outs that don't escalate to total failure

Am hoping the full reset I did last night (as I had been tidying up my optical cables which might have caused an issue).....will be my last! Smile
Hi Adam thanks Smile

So the only difference between mine and yours is you Airport is still wifi enabled - and you connect your Spark device to then same Airport network as the dialogue?

I can't do this at present as I made the airport non wifi to prevent interference with the main router (devices were dropping off the main one)

And all your other devices remain on the main network?

If I still get some issues I will try it as its a simple switch of Airport settings Smile
Hi Jamington2004,
With my setup of 3 phantoms and dialog I found out that it is important that both ethernet and wifi have to be handled by the same router for stable function. For this reason I have moved the wireless and the ethernet connection (to dialog and in my case to a Mac-mini for handling my local files with Spark) to the second router.
I recommend you to try the use of the wireless of your second router, the one you use for the Phantom system. Disable the wifi of your main router and setup the wifi on your second router the same (SSID and pw, etc) you can still use the dhcp from your main router. In my case this works perfectly with no interrupts 100% reliable for more than 10h of music listening. I suspect that the dialog when connected to a different router than the wireless system on which devices are running Spark for control and serving music gets too long delays to work reliable. All posters here that describe a successfully running system (wireless or wired) describe a star configuration (phantoms, dialog, devices running Spark all connected to one node and not over two nodes). This also makes sense as it minimizes delays.
(15-Nov-2015, 12:09)streamy Wrote: Hi Jamington2004,
With my setup of 3 phantoms and dialog I found out that it is important that both ethernet and wifi have to be handled by the same router for stable function. For this reason I have moved the wireless and the ethernet connection (to dialog and in my case to a Mac-mini for handling my local files with Spark) to the second router.
I recommend you to try the use of the wireless of your second router, the one you use for the Phantom system. Disable the wifi of your main router and setup the wifi on your second router the same (SSID and pw, etc) you can still use the dhcp from your main router. In my case this works perfectly with no interrupts 100% reliable for more than 10h of music listening. I suspect that the dialog when connected to a different router than the wireless system on which devices are running Spark for control and serving music gets too long delays to work reliable. All posters here that describe a successfully running system (wireless or wired) describe a star configuration (phantoms, dialog, devices running Spark all connected to one node and not over two nodes). This also makes sense as it minimizes delays.

i have only one router for my whole house and all the devices so also the same router for Spark and dialog. This a netgear Nighthawk R7000.

So i come from the cable company to a Cisco modem. On my request by the cable company had set this Cisco modem inactiv for WIFI

So:
Cablecompany to cisco modem (set inactive for WIFI) -> ethernet cable-> netgear Nighthawk -> ethernet cable -> Dialog-> wireless to the phantoms
And Thats all for streaming with qobuz and wireless from my MacBook pro all by using only Spark 

From the TV i go with optical to the left phantom. for TV, Films and radio.

All my devices, 3x iPhone 2x iPad and the macbookpro all using Spark are wifi connected to the netgear Nighthawk. 

How simple can i be.

I have also the devialet remote control.

I have no interruptus etc. And the best sound i ever had in my home
(15-Nov-2015, 10:43)Jamington2004 Wrote: Hi Ondastar - thanks so I have set it up as required Spark wifi wise Smile

Yes I have 3 sources connected to a manual optical switch connected to dialogue 

Instability started off seemingly caused by optical activation - but then then seemed to be both 

Instability really severe before Airport (cutting out for several seconds or dieing on one channel or both channels totally)......but since airport it seems more like "interference" with small cut outs that don't escalate to total failure

Am hoping the full reset I did last night (as I had been tidying up my optical cables which might have caused an issue).....will be my last! Smile
Hi J4.... A mechanically switched optical signal will almost certainly cause the Dialog signal recognition software to glitch with cutouts etc, (and usually re stabilize). This was pronounced prior to version 1.4.1.12, but is now improved. An opto-electronic switcher is much less likely to glitch. You can also turn off Autoswitch on your Dialog and "manage" your source optical changes by pausing the source before switching to a new source then pushing play.
Levinson 33 amps, Wilson Grand Slamm S3's, Levinson 32 ref pre and ad/da, Basis Ovation and Rega 40 with JSpall custom tone arms, Lyra, Ortofon & Grado cartridges, Marantz AV 8801, PSAudio phono pre, Devialet Dialog w  5 Gold Phantoms, Wilson powered subwoofer, Watch center, Wilson surrounds, Kaleidescape Movie server, Crestron AV controller and switch, 120 MBS docsis3 modem, 20 MBS xdsl modem, Peplink balance 20 router, Ruckus 802.11ac Wave 2 WAPS plus multi Pakedge WAPs, 48 port POE gigabit switch, NetGear 8TB NAS, Amazon Fire,ROKU and Apple TV gen 4, 12 core Mac Pro, Macbook Air Retina, 65" and 50" Runco TV's. Blue sound node 2, OPPO BDP105D, DSpeaker AntiMode 2.0, Octava HDMI/Optical switch, cabling Nordost for analog, Cardas and wireworld for digital/optical.
Thanks Ondastar. Can you reccomend a cheap electronic one? Smile
Hi Jonnydev - so i moved from having everything on one Wifi router because this was the set up with major cutouts. (Why I bought an Apple airport to create dedicated network just for dialogue)

It's latest offering from Virgin media (netgear superhub 2ac) - you think your nighthawk is so much better than this as to allow me to have everything on one router?