Poll: Which streaming input sounds best to you?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
USB
35.40%
57 35.40%
AIR WiFi
14.29%
23 14.29%
AIR Ethernet
44.10%
71 44.10%
UPnP
6.21%
10 6.21%
Total 161 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Which streaming input on the Devialet sounds best to you?
(28-May-2014, 18:02)Antoine Wrote: @Kunter, do you run the playback machine in core mode or do you need the GUI mode for running AIR and JPlay? And do you have the DualPC setup? (so using an additional control PC/Mac besides the playback machine directly connected to the Devialet)

I currently use a couple of years old SSD Sony laptop (it has i7 and all, was a good machine then). I could not make the Air app work on Core mode so mine runs with gui now. Will try dual pc, core mode and hybernate with USB input once I have a chance...

(28-May-2014, 18:46)Jwg1749 Wrote: Hi Kunter,
Not wanting to start a fight, but could I just observe that there are lots of people who'll have problems with this.
They'll say, for instance, that it's easy to prove that AIFF, WAV, FLAC and ALAC files sound identical. Simply by nulling them against one another you can show that they all contain exactly the same musical data.
The same applies to ethernet cables. The ethernet protocol contains data checking. If any data is lost in transmission it gets resent until it's correct. Any two ethernet cables will transmit exactly the same data.
Power supplies are a bit more controversial, but if you're running your system via wireless or ethernet, the PSU of the sending device can have no impact on the data transmitted to the receiving device.
Cheers!
Matt

Well, to start with, I have a problem with all of what I wrote... Every little improvement I heard in my system, which is very revealing, is bad for the wallet Smile
I listen to what people have to say, but I have learned to trust my ears first.

All lossless formats are identical as long as data is concerned. The difference is when you try to play them, and the work the cpu needs to do to decode etc real time. I guess this is it. When someone says they sound identical, I just am happy for them. Same for cables (interference is key), power supplies (noise), etc.

Now let me push more buttons. Have you tried Entreq grounding devices, which connect to any ground post on your electronics? Definitely should not make a difference... Just give a try..

One last note. I found the best way to avoid psychological effects. I ask the missus to do the blind testing...

cheers and happy listening.
Kii Three, dCS Network Bridge, Roon Nucleus, Kuzma (Stabi S, 4Point), Soundsmith StrainGauge, Stromtank, Echole Cables 
Istanbul, Turkey
(29-May-2014, 20:39)Kunter Wrote:
(28-May-2014, 18:02)Antoine Wrote: @Kunter, do you run the playback machine in core mode or do you need the GUI mode for running AIR and JPlay? And do you have the DualPC setup? (so using an additional control PC/Mac besides the playback machine directly connected to the Devialet)

I currently use a couple of years old SSD Sony laptop (it has i7 and all, was a good machine then). I could not make the Air app work on Core mode so mine runs with gui now. Will try dual pc, core mode and hybernate with USB input once I have a chance...

(28-May-2014, 18:46)Jwg1749 Wrote: Hi Kunter,
Not wanting to start a fight, but could I just observe that there are lots of people who'll have problems with this.
They'll say, for instance, that it's easy to prove that AIFF, WAV, FLAC and ALAC files sound identical. Simply by nulling them against one another you can show that they all contain exactly the same musical data.
The same applies to ethernet cables. The ethernet protocol contains data checking. If any data is lost in transmission it gets resent until it's correct. Any two ethernet cables will transmit exactly the same data.
Power supplies are a bit more controversial, but if you're running your system via wireless or ethernet, the PSU of the sending device can have no impact on the data transmitted to the receiving device.
Cheers!
Matt

Well, to start with, I have a problem with all of what I wrote... Every little improvement I heard in my system, which is very revealing, is bad for the wallet Smile

All lossless formats are identical as long as data is concerned. The difference is when you try to play them, and the work the cpu needs to do to decode etc real time. I guess this is it. When someone says they sound identical, I just am happy for them. Same for cables (interference is key), power supplies (noise), etc.

Now let me push more buttons. Have you tried Entreq grounding devices, which connect to any ground post on your electronics? Definitely should not make a difference... Just give a try..

One last note. I found the best way to avoid psychological effects. I ask the missus to do the blind testing...

I think you hit on an important here; there's no such thing as an objective "better" - we just prefer some variables more than others.

I tried some black ravioli isolation pads. Expensive foo perhaps - but they do seem to make a noticeable difference. Put them under my speakers - huge improvement in separation and soundstage.

And I use my missus for validation too. If she likes it, it stays!!
Devialet 1000 Pro. Martin Logan Montis, Michell Gyrodec, Melco N1ZH, Mutec MC3+ USB
(29-May-2014, 20:39)Kunter Wrote: Well, to start with, I have a problem with all of what I wrote... Every little improvement I heard in my system, which is very revealing, is bad for the wallet Smile

I've tried lots of things that shouldn't make a difference, and in all cases I've found they don't.
The design of Devialet is science-based. Like Devialet, I try to stick with science.
Cheers,
Matt

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
Sonos Connect (W4S) > Devialet 200 > Vivid V1.5
Silver Phantoms (just the two)
London
Ethernet for me. I tried USB again over this week with two different cables - a standard 1m cable from Maplin and an Audioquest forest version, preferring the Audioquest.

But...

To me, Ethernet still sounds better. The USB connection initially sounded more detailed but after a few days of listening and comparing, it also introduces a slight 'greyness' to the sound. A very good test for this is the 192 version of 'Meet me in London' by Antonio Forcione & Sabina Sciubba on the Naim label. The track 'Take Five' is mixed with the the vocal and guitar at the left and right extremes and when i initially bought the hi-def version of the album (and pre Devialet) this sounded very false and unnatural - almost sounding dual mono. With the Devialet (and via Ethernet) the acoustic is revealed and the production makes complete sense. Via USB, the sense of acoustic is diminished and the 'mono' effect returns. Coming from a Naim background, i'm more inclined to the PR&T approach but the extremely low background noise of the Devialet has revealed some previously missed acoustic cues on some favourite albums.

On other albums, such as Natalie Merchants latest, her voice suffers a degree of harshness via USB which is missing with Ethernet.

I've tried various players - Bit Perfect, Amarra and Audirvana and the effect is the same. I suspect i'd get better results with one of the IFI USB isolators as i suspect the effects i'm hearing are due to noise coupling into the amplifier from the computer but that's an extra couple of boxes and more cables. Add the fact that the AIR app works so well on my headless mini (no issues with it connecting with the latest firmware update) and handles gapless playback, Ethernet is a no brainer for me at present.

James

Melco N1A > Meicord Opal > Devialet 220 Pro > Mogami 2972 > Shahinian Compass
Jwg1749,

May I ask what is probably a profoundly stupid question?

With your Synology via USB setup, how did you communicate to the NAS what you wanted to play? I appreciate, I think, that the Audiostation software can run on, say, an Android device, but how does that device communicate with the Synology? Does the Synology have a wireless capability?

I am very keen to use a Devialet without involving a computer as such - essentially mimicking, at higher quality, what my current Sonos setup can achieve.

Fraser
Hi Fraser,
Not a silly question.
The Synology NAS is connected by ethernet to a wireless router. The control point (Audiostation app on iPad) talks to the NAS via this wireless network.
It works perfectly: no drop-outs, no gremlins. The only drawback is that the Audiostation app is rather clunky and has very limited functionality, say compared to the Sonos app or to the JRiver app that I'm using now.
Matt

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
Sonos Connect (W4S) > Devialet 200 > Vivid V1.5
Silver Phantoms (just the two)
London
Thank you. I thought the arrangement had to be something along these lines.

Synology do an 'air' variant of the 213, so I shall research this.

Fraser
(28-May-2014, 20:48)beerman Wrote:
(28-May-2014, 18:02)Antoine Wrote: @beerman, I can't myself edit the poll but the option you mention (direct ethernet) I think is the option "AIR ethernet" I mentioned in the poll or did I miss an additional way to use the ethernet port without the AIR software installed on a PC or Mac?

Hi Antoine,

Almost the same. Almost.

What I mean with "direct ethernet" is just a (short) ethernet cable between computer and the Devialet.
In my opinion the "purest" or "straightest" connection" between the Dev and the source.
You don't have to go over a router, you have fewer plug-connections, you have a short signal path, wich will be lesser influenced by various factors.
itunes is just used as a file management, the Dev gets the files bit-perfect and does sample-rate changing. No other software needed.
(Maybe wrong in this case, but how I understand it, also jitter don't play a role in an ethernet connection).

But I have to confess, the differences between the ways to connect are very small (but audible), at least in my system, it depends on personal taste. I think there is no best way at all. You have to try for yourself and maybe in every music system is another way the better.

Klaus

Hi Klaus, I understand what you mean now. Actually the setup you describe is the one I wanted to test second. Now all my network attached devices are in the same subnet but I want to order a second ethernet interface (Intel Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter) for the AIR PC to make the direct connection to the Devialet. The only disadvantage I see in this setup is that I won't be able to directly control the Devialet using the remote IOS app as I have also disabled the WiFi interface of the Devialet but maybe I'll find a workaround for that using some manual routes in the network and setting up the PC as a router as well. Smile

(29-May-2014, 20:39)Kunter Wrote:

Thanks for elaborating on your setup Kunter! In the future I will also start experimenting with WS2012 R2, Audiophile Optimizer on a single PC setup as a playback machine.

(30-May-2014, 19:01)james n Wrote: Ethernet for me. I tried USB again over this week with two different cables - a standard 1m cable from Maplin and an Audioquest forest version, preferring the Audioquest.

But...

To me, Ethernet still sounds better. The USB connection initially sounded more detailed but after a few days of listening and comparing, it also introduces a slight 'greyness' to the sound. A very good test for this is the 192 version of 'Meet me in London' by Antonio Forcione & Sabina Sciubba on the Naim label. The track 'Take Five' is mixed with the the vocal and guitar at the left and right extremes and when i initially bought the hi-def version of the album (and pre Devialet) this sounded very false and unnatural - almost sounding dual mono. With the Devialet (and via Ethernet) the acoustic is revealed and the production makes complete sense. Via USB, the sense of acoustic is diminished and the 'mono' effect returns. Coming from a Naim background, i'm more inclined to the PR&T approach but the extremely low background noise of the Devialet has revealed some previously missed acoustic cues on some favourite albums.

On other albums, such as Natalie Merchants latest, her voice suffers a degree of harshness via USB which is missing with Ethernet.

I've tried various players - Bit Perfect, Amarra and Audirvana and the effect is the same. I suspect i'd get better results with one of the IFI USB isolators as i suspect the effects i'm hearing are due to noise coupling into the amplifier from the computer but that's an extra couple of boxes and more cables. Add the fact that the AIR app works so well on my headless mini (no issues with it connecting with the latest firmware update) and handles gapless playback, Ethernet is a no brainer for me at present.

James

Thank you James, very interesting to read! Smile
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
In your list you forgot to mention the XLR (AES/EBU) input. Imo this is the best when I feed it via firewire/Weiss INT203/XLR cable from my MacPro. Alternatively I use ethernet as being nearly equivalent in quality. XLR, though, is still a tick more detailed and clearer in micro dynamics.

In terms of software PureMusic is the app of choice when feeding the INT203 even though its user interface is a bit oldfashioned. It does gapless without a hitch while I never saw the other players for Mac perform flawlessly in my environment.

For my taste the wireless option depends too much on the density of wireless traffic in the neighbourhood.
If I am streaming I use Air.
Since I sorted my network it has been no problem unless an Android phone joins the network, but that rarely happens now I know about it ;-)