Poll: Which streaming input sounds best to you?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
USB
35.40%
57 35.40%
AIR WiFi
14.29%
23 14.29%
AIR Ethernet
44.10%
71 44.10%
UPnP
6.21%
10 6.21%
Total 161 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Which streaming input on the Devialet sounds best to you?
(11-Jun-2014, 22:50)Kunter Wrote:
(10-Jun-2014, 20:23)Eddye Wrote:
(10-Jun-2014, 20:10)Kunter Wrote:
(10-Jun-2014, 17:33)Eddye Wrote: I've votes Ethernet. A while ago I tested all the different streaming options, using just iTunes (without Audirvana). From worst to best I found: USB, AIR WiFi, AIR Ethernet. Currently I'm using USB because with iTunes I use Audirvana, which isn't compatible with AIR. And it sound a bit better than AIR Ethernet using only iTunes.

Eddye,
Audirvama and air works, if you fiddle with the options of A+. I was using that setup prior to moving to pc and jplay.
Just disable all 4 options in the setup (bit perfect etc), then try enabling them one by one.

Cheers.
Do you mean in the AIR app or in Audirvana?

Play with the settings of Audirvana...
Finally found some time to try this again, and I've cracked it! I now have Audirvana working with Devialet AIR.
Devialet 200 <> Bowers & Wilkins 805 Diamond <> Aurender N100 <> Clearaudio Concept MC <> Audioquest Rocket 44/Coffee USB

The Netherlands
How ?? ,air take controll over the soundcard so how can Audirvana do any good ??
Roon Nuceleus + Core/Tidal > Rood Ready wired ethernet > Keces P8 LPS > EtherRegan switch > D250 PRO > Sonus Faber Cremona M
Nordost Frey 2 Power cable - Blue Jeans Speaker Cables - Audioquest Diamond and Supra cat8 ethernet cables
Other: Ipad air with ROON Control / Pro Ject ground base - ISO Acoustics Orea - Herbie Tenderfoots 
"and those who were seen dancing were thougt to be insane by those who could not hear the music"

"and those who were seen dancing were thougt to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
(23-Jun-2014, 22:33)Petter Wrote: How ?? ,air take controll over the soundcard so how can Audirvana do any good ??
Audirvana basically takes over from iTunes. So in stead of iTunes -> AIR -> D200, I can now play Audirvana -> AIR -> D200 (or iTunes -> Audirvana -> AIR -> D200). I thinks Audirvana sounds much better than iTunes. And it gives me more flexibility.
Devialet 200 <> Bowers & Wilkins 805 Diamond <> Aurender N100 <> Clearaudio Concept MC <> Audioquest Rocket 44/Coffee USB

The Netherlands
Had to ask since i did a test of Audirvana earlier,and did communicate with Thierry at that time ,who said that the way air was built and set up to control itunes and the sound card it had no effect using other controls ,when using Devialet air?

They even point that out in the guide,but via usb another story

How do you set up Audirvana against air then ?
Roon Nuceleus + Core/Tidal > Rood Ready wired ethernet > Keces P8 LPS > EtherRegan switch > D250 PRO > Sonus Faber Cremona M
Nordost Frey 2 Power cable - Blue Jeans Speaker Cables - Audioquest Diamond and Supra cat8 ethernet cables
Other: Ipad air with ROON Control / Pro Ject ground base - ISO Acoustics Orea - Herbie Tenderfoots 

(24-Jun-2014, 13:49)Petter Wrote: Had to ask since i did a test of Audirvana earlier,and did communicate with Thierry at that time ,who said that the way air was built and set up to control itunes and the sound card it had no effect using other controls ,when using Devialet air?

In the Audirvana preferences under "Audio Systems" I selected Devialet AIR as Audio Device and checked the boxes "Exclusive access mode" and "Use Max I/O buffer size" and unchecked "Direct mode" and "Integer Mode". Checking either of the last two resulted in no playback.

In the "Audio Filters" tab under "Forced upsampling" I selected "None" because the Devialet AIR app will do the upsampling.

Those are my settings for Audirvana

In the AIR app I selected a rather large buffer of 2000ms. I'm still experimenting with this setting. A low buffer resulted in faster playback (as in Alvin and the Chipmunks). I Also selected a Default format of 24/192. I have some 24/192 files and I don't want them to be downsampled.

The AIR app seems to be made for iTunes only, but I believe that is because the early D-Premier could only use iTunes as streaming playback. AIR now supports so much more playback apps, because it behaves as a virtual soundcard.

The Netherlands
(24-Jun-2014, 16:18)Eddye Wrote: The AIR app seems to be made for iTunes only, but I believe that is because the early D-Premier could only use iTunes as streaming playback. AIR now supports so much more playback apps, because it behaves as a virtual soundcard.

The original Air app (V1.n) was linked to iTunes. Air V2 is a complete re-write such that it behaves as a sound card and any audio from any software which outputs audio can, in principle, be sent via Air to any Devialet with wifi (and maybe wifi is no longer needed with ethernet????)
It has nothing to do with which Devialet amp you use, though the new model amps came out after V2 Air IIRC.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(24-Jun-2014, 18:04)f1eng Wrote:
(24-Jun-2014, 16:18)Eddye Wrote: The AIR app seems to be made for iTunes only, but I believe that is because the early D-Premier could only use iTunes as streaming playback. AIR now supports so much more playback apps, because it behaves as a virtual soundcard.

The original Air app (V1.n) was linked to iTunes. Air V2 is a complete re-write such that it behaves as a sound card and any audio from any software which outputs audio can, in principle, be sent via Air to any Devialet with wifi (and maybe wifi is no longer needed with ethernet????)
It has nothing to do with which Devialet amp you use, though the new model amps came out after V2 Air IIRC.
I think we're saying exactly the same thing Smile

The Netherlands
(24-Jun-2014, 18:22)Eddye Wrote:

Sorry, I read "I believe that is because the early D-Premier could only use iTunes as streaming playback".
That was not true. I compared Pure Vinyl, Amarra, Audirvana, Fidelia, Decibel, J River and maybe others I have forgotten with my D Premier.
Air (the wireless software) OTOH was iTunes only in version 1.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(25-Jun-2014, 13:28)f1eng Wrote:
(24-Jun-2014, 18:22)Eddye Wrote:

Sorry, I read "I believe that is because the early D-Premier could only use iTunes as streaming playback".
That was not true. I compared Pure Vinyl, Amarra, Audirvana, Fidelia, Decibel, J River and maybe others I have forgotten with my D Premier.
Air (the wireless software) OTOH was iTunes only in version 1.
I meant to say the V1 software, but in my mind that's linked to the D-Premier. Sorry for the confusion and thanks for correcting me.

The Netherlands
(24-Jun-2014, 16:18)Eddye Wrote:
(24-Jun-2014, 13:49)Petter Wrote: Had to ask since i did a test of Audirvana earlier,and did communicate with Thierry at that time ,who said that the way air was built and set up to control itunes and the sound card it had no effect using other controls ,when using Devialet air?

In the Audirvana preferences under "Audio Systems" I selected Devialet AIR as Audio Device and checked the boxes "Exclusive access mode" and "Use Max I/O buffer size" and unchecked "Direct mode" and "Integer Mode". Checking either of the last two resulted in no playback.

In the "Audio Filters" tab under "Forced upsampling" I selected "None" because the Devialet AIR app will do the upsampling.

Those are my settings for Audirvana

In the AIR app I selected a rather large buffer of 2000ms. I'm still experimenting with this setting. A low buffer resulted in faster playback (as in Alvin and the Chipmunks). I Also selected a Default format of 24/192. I have some 24/192 files and I don't want them to be downsampled.

The AIR app seems to be made for iTunes only, but I believe that is because the early D-Premier could only use iTunes as streaming playback. AIR now supports so much more playback apps, because it behaves as a virtual soundcard.

Thanks! So far I had not been able to run without gaps from time to time, with a Mac mini, with the itunes library in a time capsule (bad idea!). I could with USB, but it did not sound as good as with AIR. Now, with Audirvana driving AIR, I get even better sound (deeper soundstage, more clarity). I think the best feature of it is Memory Play - loading the whole song in memory and not depending on the hard disk

The Time Capsule is as bad an external drive as it can be. It really pollutes the line and causes the Mac to stutter from time to time. You really hear it starting and stopping on each new song.
Oslo: sources: Mac Mini/Itunes/Audirvana,  glassfiber toslink/Mapleshade clearview USB to D200;
Double helix to Gallo Strada 2 with mapleshade stands, TR3 subwoofer.

Spain: Oppo 95 vacuumstate modded, Kimber select 1021, Linn Classik Movie Di to Gallo Solos through Goertz Python cable