Poll: Which streaming input sounds best to you?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
USB
35.40%
57 35.40%
AIR WiFi
14.29%
23 14.29%
AIR Ethernet
44.10%
71 44.10%
UPnP
6.21%
10 6.21%
Total 161 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Which streaming input on the Devialet sounds best to you?
I'm on the books for a streamer solution from LH Labs...Geek Source...looks like an interesting option...wonder how it will compete with AIR, TotalDAC and Aurender.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Digital: ROON on Synology & SONOS Connect
Analog: Marantz TT-15s1 - ClearAudio Virtuoso MM Wood

Main: Devialet D250 - KEF LS50
(09-Dec-2014, 18:12)adhesiv Wrote: I'm on the books for a streamer solution from LH Labs...Geek Source...looks like an interesting option...wonder how it will compete with AIR, TotalDAC and Aurender.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another very interesting option! Do keep us posted... when will you receive this?

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
I think sometime in summer 2015...long wait so i hope it's worth it!

Digital: ROON on Synology & SONOS Connect
Analog: Marantz TT-15s1 - ClearAudio Virtuoso MM Wood

Main: Devialet D250 - KEF LS50
(09-Dec-2014, 16:10)GuillaumeB Wrote: I'm not altogether surprised by your findings. I owned a MiND 180 for almost a year. A few months ago when I decided to revisit AIR I was actually surprised at how good AIR sounded, dare I say better than the MiND. Yes AIR seems more transparent and definitely "brighter" than the MiND.

Take a look at this thread where I posted my findings:

http://devialetchat.com/Thread-Mac-AIR-v...-d1-server

Guillaume

Thank you for the pointer !
--
I also started thinking to try out different digital cables to see whether it can improve the sound.
I initially though that Nordost Valhalla is a good choice here, but apparently no the best one in my settings.

After my Moon mind experience, I started questioning the appraised AES/EBU input of Devialet.
Do you use a RCA-XLR cable to connect your Master and Slave units ? or RCA-RCA.
It seems like everybody is confused about using 75 vs 110 cables here...
---
Can you please suggest if the situation with SQ improves with Devialet 800 in comparison to 250 ?
I have a feeling that when playing D250 at low sound level, I want the sound to be more detailed, but currently with my D 250 set-up at low levels it may sound like losing the details a bit.
Is it something other owners experience?
I have speakers rated 4 Ohm, but maximum 400 watt.
I do not intent to play them at maximum, but rather looking the improvement in sound quality at lower levels.
There are quite a few posts covering the 250 vs 800 topic in the dual mono section of this forum. Regarding your low volume level question, one thing that surprised me about the 250 in my system was just how good everything sounded when quiet!
(09-Dec-2014, 21:24)johnsap Wrote:
(09-Dec-2014, 16:10)GuillaumeB Wrote: I'm not altogether surprised by your findings. I owned a MiND 180 for almost a year. A few months ago when I decided to revisit AIR I was actually surprised at how good AIR sounded, dare I say better than the MiND. Yes AIR seems more transparent and definitely "brighter" than the MiND.

Take a look at this thread where I posted my findings:

http://devialetchat.com/Thread-Mac-AIR-v...-d1-server

Guillaume

Thank you for the pointer !
--
I also started thinking to try out different digital cables to see whether it can improve the sound.
I initially though that Nordost Valhalla is a good choice here, but apparently no the best one in my settings.

After my Moon mind experience, I started questioning the appraised AES/EBU input of Devialet.
Do you use a RCA-XLR cable to connect your Master and Slave units ? or RCA-RCA.
It seems like everybody is confused about using 75 vs 110 cables here...
---
Can you please suggest if the situation with SQ improves with Devialet 800 in comparison to 250 ?
I have a feeling that when playing D250 at low sound level, I want the sound to be more detailed, but currently with my D 250 set-up at low levels it may sound like losing the details a bit.
Is it something other owners experience?
I have speakers rated 4 Ohm, but maximum 400 watt.
I do not intent to play them at maximum, but rather looking the improvement in sound quality at lower levels.

I use Transparent's top of the range Ref XL digital cables, both between my totaldac streamer and Master, and between Master and Companion (S/PDIF). Previously I used the TA XL AES/EBU between MiND 180 and Master and was very pleased with the results. With the totaldac the SQ is better than AIR.

The 800 is a LOT better than the 250. Not just in terms of power but also fluidity and musicality at all levels. Some of this will be dependant on speakers though.

When I auditioned all the different Devialet models over a year ago I found that there were clear improvements as I worked my way up the range. The biggest jump was from 240 to 500. And this was without fancy cables or other tweaks.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(09-Dec-2014, 17:41)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(09-Dec-2014, 16:35)Confused Wrote: There have not been many claims for equipment that can match or even exceed the quality of AIR. It would appear that some cleverly optimised computer / USB solutions can do it. Maybe the Aurender X100 gets close? The Totaldac D1 looks like the best anyone has found so far as an "off the shelf" solution. Apart from that, at least for the folk not inclined to custom build PC solutions, not much!

I'd be inclined to take a look at the 3D Lab Nano Transport. According to ThierryNK it is at least as good as the totaldac d1 server, SQ-wise. And at a fraction of the cost (1,750 euros).

http://devialetchat.com/Thread-New-kid-on-the-block

Of course the beauty of the Aurender is the built-in storage (negating the use of a NAS and accompanying network cables) plus attractive control point.

I must say I wouldn't mind giving one a try.

There is of course the question of Devialet's (alleged) UPnP implementation...

Guillaume

Hi,

Don't forget the Wyred4Sound Music Servers which also give a superb sound from a dedicated Server base + facility to rip CDs to the hard drive (SSD option also available). Also very well reviewed.

See:

https://wyred4sound.com/products/music-servers
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK
Quick question, for those having AIR both Wifi and Ethernet working, what is your prefered option for best SQ ?
In my new flat, I have the possibility to use some sleeves for ethernet cables. As AIR Wifi is working well even in 24/192 (for now) do you think there is a reason to go for ethernet ?
B&W 805d - Athom Zef Max - Devialet D200 - AIR Ethernet - Roon ROCK (NUC8i3BEH + LPSU100) - Qobuz

- FR -
With the Bryston BDP-2 digital player, it's a tie between USB and AES/EBU when using their upgraded sound card which Bryston calls their Integrated Audio Device (IAD).

The Bryston IAD is a very worthwhile upgrade to the Bryston BDP-2!
(08-Mar-2016, 12:01)ledesc Wrote: Quick question, for those having AIR both Wifi and Ethernet working, what is your prefered option for best SQ ?
In my new flat, I have the possibility to use some sleeves for ethernet cables. As AIR Wifi is working well even in 24/192 (for now) do you think there is a reason to go for ethernet ?

In my opinion, if you have such a good WiFi installation, ethernet wouldn't make a difference. The only positive difference for SQ, imo, would be sending your data to the AES/EBU port at the Devialet. This has been recommended by the Dev-people from the very beginning.