Poll: Which streaming input sounds best to you?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
USB
35.40%
57 35.40%
AIR WiFi
14.29%
23 14.29%
AIR Ethernet
44.10%
71 44.10%
UPnP
6.21%
10 6.21%
Total 161 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Which streaming input on the Devialet sounds best to you?
(08-Mar-2016, 23:54)blair.athol Wrote: For me it's just perfect over Air Ethernet using a standard iMac, iTunes or Qobuz and a TimeCapsule as router. That's all and it works as intended. Angel

AIR works perfectly for me too. In my system I prefer AIR wifi over AIR Ethernet and I've tried comparing them several times.

However, Aurender N100 USB sounds better than AIR in my system so I'm sure Antoine is correct about the high quality sound available via USB from optimised PCs
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
I would think that AIR ethernet would be the best option. Ethernet ports have galvanized isolation, compared to a noisy wifi radio being turned on in the amp. We have had multiple reports of noise related to wifi being on.

Using a good CAT 6A cable would work well around other cables used in your system. Just DON'T use any type of shielded ethernet cable that has the metal connectors on both ends as that would break the galvanic isolation and allow ground noise to flow from device to device along with any other crap it picked up along the way.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(28-May-2014, 20:48)beerman Wrote:
(28-May-2014, 18:02)Antoine Wrote: @beerman, I can't myself edit the poll but the option you mention (direct ethernet) I think is the option "AIR ethernet" I mentioned in the poll or did I miss an additional way to use the ethernet port without the AIR software installed on a PC or Mac?

Hi Antoine,

Almost the same. Almost.

What I mean with "direct ethernet" is just a (short) ethernet cable between computer and the Devialet.
In my opinion the "purest" or "straightest" connection" between the Dev and the source.
You don't have to go over a router, you have fewer plug-connections, you have a short signal path, wich will be lesser influenced by various factors.
itunes is just used as a file management, the Dev gets the files bit-perfect and does sample-rate changing. No other software needed.
(Maybe wrong in this case, but how I understand it, also jitter don't play a role in an ethernet connection).

But I have to confess, the differences between the ways to connect are very small (but audible), at least in my system, it depends on personal taste. I think there is no best way at all. You have to try for yourself and maybe in every music system is another way the better.

Klaus

Beerman - I was looking for exact same thing about Computer to Dev through direct ETH cable. In this situation do you have to enable AIR-ETH or this is not needed ?.
Rock OS (Roon) on NUC 2016 Model (ETH Wired to Router) > Cat8 from Router to switch to 220Pro (CI) > RAAT/AIR > Monitor Audio PL300 II
Ipad Mini 4/iPhone for Roon Remote"
(18-Apr-2016, 15:53)Jnan_devi Wrote:
(28-May-2014, 20:48)beerman Wrote:
(28-May-2014, 18:02)Antoine Wrote: @beerman, I can't myself edit the poll but the option you mention (direct ethernet) I think is the option "AIR ethernet" I mentioned in the poll or did I miss an additional way to use the ethernet port without the AIR software installed on a PC or Mac?

Hi Antoine,

Almost the same. Almost.

What I mean with "direct ethernet" is just a (short) ethernet cable between computer and the Devialet.
In my opinion the "purest" or "straightest" connection" between the Dev and the source.
You don't have to go over a router, you have fewer plug-connections, you have a short signal path, wich will be lesser influenced by various factors.
itunes is just used as a file management, the Dev gets the files bit-perfect and does sample-rate changing. No other software needed.
(Maybe wrong in this case, but how I understand it, also jitter don't play a role in an ethernet connection).

But I have to confess, the differences between the ways to connect are very small (but audible), at least in my system, it depends on personal taste. I think there is no best way at all. You have to try for yourself and maybe in every music system is another way the better.

Klaus

Beerman - I was looking for exact same thing about Computer to Dev through direct ETH cable. In this situation do you have to enable AIR-ETH or this is not needed ?.

Of course you would. All you are doing different is using a cross-over cable and fixed IP addresses. You would need a second network adapter and routing configuration if the computer directly connected to the devialet was headless.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(18-Apr-2016, 16:43)Dr Tone Wrote:
(18-Apr-2016, 15:53)Jnan_devi Wrote: Beerman - I was looking for exact same thing about Computer to Dev through direct ETH cable. In this situation do you have to enable AIR-ETH or this is not needed ?.

Of course you would.  All you are doing different is using a cross-over cable and fixed IP addresses.  You would need a second network adapter and routing configuration if the computer directly connected to the devialet was headless.

understood. I assumed stuff which ... forget it Smile.
Rock OS (Roon) on NUC 2016 Model (ETH Wired to Router) > Cat8 from Router to switch to 220Pro (CI) > RAAT/AIR > Monitor Audio PL300 II
Ipad Mini 4/iPhone for Roon Remote"
When I connected my Mac Mini to the Devialet directly via ethernet I used a standard ethernet cable, no cross over cable required.

I did assign a fixed address to both machines.
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
Voted USB.

I've never tried UPnP and as far as I'm concerned AIR isn't a useable input, it's merely a marketing term. Unless you can actually play music through it without dropouts or other weird noises, it's impossible to judge SQ let alone call it 'the best'

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

I'm late to this poll. I voted AIR-ETH.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

(08-Mar-2016, 22:12)Antoine Wrote: It's an old poll. I started it and even I myself voted Air ethernet back then. I know better today than back then! Smile

AIR sounds great with a standard off the shelf PC (I personally preferred ethernet over WiFI) but can be surpassed using USB if the computer is optimized (through both hard- and software optimizations). Recently I found out all three are surpassed using that same computer when I inserted a Mutec MC-3+ USB in the chain and connected that to the AES/EBU input of the Devialet.

Can you give an estimate on how much improvement there was? Are we talking +5% or +15% per added hardware?
Haha, so much has again changed here since March 2016. Smile

Nope sorry, it's practically impossible for me to convert this into numbers. I guess my poor beta engineers brain isn't wired that way (able to convert a subjective experience into an exact number Smile)

I tried once though but I wouldn't take the numbers as absolutes. It's probably best to completely ignore the numbers and just take the order of the items in the list into account. See here: http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?t...9#pid41669

Also there's too many variables (especially with DIY music servers) to take into account to consider this as a general "truth". It's just my experience, my ears and my system.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands