Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whirring sound?
I am the proud new owner of a 120 which is absolutely fantastic!

I have one question though - I have noticed that there is a very faint "whirring" sound when I put my ear right next to the unit. As I said, it is very faint and only perceptible in a silent room. It doesn't have any detrimental effect as far as I can tell but just want to check whether this is normal?
Congratulations on becoming a Devialet owner! Smile

Yes, the soft whirring noise is completely normal for all Devialets. This official Devialet article describes it as well: https://help.devialet.com/entries/234072...n-stand-by

Note that although it describes the Devialet being in standby, it's there when it's on as well.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
Antoine,

I don't have this on my monos and it just made me wonder if something is not correct as you mentioning that this is normal for all units!?

/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
Hi Mike, I really don't know for sure but can't think of any reason why there should be something wrong with your units. I'd be happy they're completely silent! Smile

I also only hear it in a quiet room when I am very near to my 250 so have never worried much about it. Funny thing is I can make the buzz a bit louder by starting the Cleanwave program of my PS Audio Power Plant. Funny to actually hear that working. Smile From the manual: "CleanWave places a series of higher frequencies that ride on the main sine wave to help “degauss” connected magnetics."
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
Thanks for putting my mind at ease Smile
Hello everyone

I am also a new owner of a Devialet 120. Very happy so far, except with its noise. I can hear it also in 3 meters distance. Of course only faint and benign, but I can definitely hear it.
The noise emission of my unit is louder than a new 2014 iMac with an SSD and a little bit less than a n external Western Digital 2.5”USB-Harddisc. Just to give you a comparison.
I’m sensitive to such noise and I’m thinking about getting a replacement, if my unit is louder than average. Unfortunately, I don’t have a comparison at hand, so I wanted to ask you. What do you think? Is this louder than average?
(27-Nov-2014, 08:05)runlonger Wrote: Hello everyone

I am also a new owner of a Devialet 120. Very happy so far, except with its noise. I can hear it also in 3 meters distance. Of course only faint and benign, but I can definitely hear it.
The noise emission of my unit is louder than a new 2014 iMac with an SSD and a little bit less than a n external Western Digital 2.5”USB-Harddisc. Just to give you a comparison.
I’m sensitive to such noise and I’m thinking about getting a replacement, if my unit is louder than average. Unfortunately, I don’t have a comparison at hand, so I wanted to ask you. What do you think? Is this louder than average?

I'd go back to your dealer and listen to another unit there. If the background noise is spoiling your enjoyment of the music then you should definitely check it out.
Devialet 1000 Pro. Martin Logan Montis, Michell Gyrodec, Melco N1ZH, Mutec MC3+ USB
I agree with ozthepoz. If you can hear it at a 3 meter distance it is probably too loud, whether you're sensitive to it or not. I myself can really only hear it when my ears are very near to the Devialet and the units do differ one to another. My plasma TV is a lot "louder", that I can hear at a 3m distance especially in bright scenes. I do have to say that the "ambiance noise" in my room seems to be ca. 36dB at minimum, so if one has a very quiet home it could be you'd hear it sooner.

The Netherlands
(27-Nov-2014, 23:36)Antoine Wrote: I agree with ozthepoz. If you can hear it at a 3 meter distance it is probably too loud, whether you're sensitive to it or not. I myself can really only hear it when my ears are very near to the Devialet and the units do differ one to another. My plasma TV is a lot "louder", that I can hear at a 3m distance especially in bright scenes. I do have to say that the "ambiance noise" in my room seems to be ca. 36dB at minimum, so if one has a very quiet home it could be you'd hear it sooner.

I seem to recall reading about this on the Devialet site in relation to the power supply unit. I can certainly hear a "whirring" noise within a foot of the unit but certainly not 3 metres.
I never noticed any noise from mine, but yes, within a few inches you just hear something, very quiet indeed but it's there. Does anyone know what is actually making the noise?