Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who are using vinyl as main source?
(10-Aug-2014, 15:35)Krorghar Wrote: I didn't bought the Devialet specially for playing vinyls, I just went to the shop and got the amp that sounded better to my ears, the phono stage was a bonus. My RP10 is conected now directly to its phono stage, and it sound delicious. I also got a Rega Aria preamp, for testing, but as you can read in the thread above, the unit is deffective. When I got a working replacement I will do extensive test, to see if the rega preamp can beat the built-in one, will keep you updated guys.

The amp is fantastic but if it couldn't handle vinyl as good as it does i would have stepped away, thankfully it ticked all my boxes Smile

/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
(10-Aug-2014, 17:45)Mikeeo Wrote:
(10-Aug-2014, 15:35)Krorghar Wrote: I didn't bought the Devialet specially for playing vinyls, I just went to the shop and got the amp that sounded better to my ears, the phono stage was a bonus. My RP10 is conected now directly to its phono stage, and it sound delicious. I also got a Rega Aria preamp, for testing, but as you can read in the thread above, the unit is deffective. When I got a working replacement I will do extensive test, to see if the rega preamp can beat the built-in one, will keep you updated guys.

The amp is fantastic but if it couldn't handle vinyl as good as it does i would have stepped away, thankfully it ticked all my boxes Smile

/Mike

Hello, Mike. Devialet 200 is listed as the next upgrade target.

My usual source is vinyl playing mostly classical music of golden era of RCAs and Decca. So may I ask whether you or other Devialet users still find vinyl playback thru Devialet is superior than other digital source even it converts everything to digital?

BTW it is hard to find a review of its performance on vinyl playback.

Cheers!

Gib
(19-Aug-2014, 19:07)G51 Wrote:

/Mike

My usual source is vinyl playing mostly classical music of golden era of RCAs and Decca. So may I ask whether you or other Devialet users still find vinyl playback thru Devialet is superior than other digital source even it converts everything to digital?

Cheers!

Gib

Hi Gib,

John Atkinson reviewed the D-Premier phono stage for Stereophile. I won't spoil it for you by quoting what he said. Just do a quick search on Google and you will find it. My understanding is that the phono stage in the 200 is the same as that in the D-Premier

I love the phono stage - it allows the real colour of my LP12 to shine through.

Philip
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
(19-Aug-2014, 19:07)G51 Wrote:

/Mike

Cheers!

Gib

Hi Gib and welcome to the forum!

For me many recordings on vinyl are better than the digital dito, specially for the 50s, 60s and 70s and some select well recorded albums with well pressed vinyl from 80's to now. But pressings from record companies from 2000 and forwards that put effort on recording and pressing sounds fantastic. Bass is usually better on vinyl, also room information and to my ears better rendering of instrument tone. Many of my 2000 and on recordings beat the digital dito, which of course is fun to demonstrate for friend once in a while. Having said that there is a lot of bad recordings but that shouldn't be blamed on the format as such. When it comes to classics I mainly use the digital format.
Of course, all is up to your vinyl replay system but the Devialet will present everything your system can dig out and in a superb way.
My main reason was vinyl for the choice of Devialet. Now, the fine thing in this is of course that everything else sounds amazing too and the Dev served everything else I ever wanted from a system and more so when I went from 200 to 400.

All the best with the 200, that one is the price/performance pearl from Devialet (like they didn't know Wink).

Just take in the music and enjoy/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
@G51 - Some links:
http://www.stereophile.com/content/devia...hono-stage
http://www.bm.rs/Devialet/Devialet%20D%2...202013.pdf

Further to the above, I have posted elsewhere about my experiences trying a Tom Evans Groove phono stage with the Devialet. This is over 2K's worth of kit new, and in summary I much prefer the Devialet's phono input, it is quieter, more dynamic and just very pure. On top of this it is fully adjustable via the configurator, so you can use any cartridge you like. Considering the phono stage is included as an integral part of the Devialet package, it starts to make the Devialet look like a very good value option for the vinyl user.

Originally, I was actually put off by the thought of a digital phono stage, somehow "corrupting" the analogue world of vinyl, but as all the digital stuff is performed at 24bit, any unwanted digital effects are inaudible. So what you are left with is what is possibly one of the most accurate phono stages you can buy, with a nice shiny amplifier included in the deal.
(19-Aug-2014, 20:17)Confused Wrote: Originally, I was actually put off by the thought of a digital phono stage, somehow "corrupting" the analogue world of vinyl, but as all the digital stuff is performed at 24bit, any unwanted digital effects are inaudible. So what you are left with is what is possibly one of the most accurate phono stages you can buy, with a nice shiny amplifier included in the deal.

I was put off as well, but I just had to accept that this small chromed amplifier did it better than most I ever heard. Now in hindsight I love this gear to bits and can't see myself go back to a forrest of boxes and jungles of cabling and all the confusion of 'what did I change now'. Though I enjoyed my tube days greatly and I have a reminder of this when I look at my 400 small signal tubes collectionWink

/Mike
Having had decades of recording experience, both music and data, and worked on record player performance at Garrard in the 1970s I am sure of 2 things.
1. Digital done correctly is audibly transparent.
2. Record players add quite a lot of colour to music but most of the addition is euphonic.

My record player sounds lovely but that is only "better" in a "I like its colour" sense, since in every objective way it is inferior to pretty well any domestic source other than cassette...

The Devialet phono input makes total sense. If one has a coloured phono stage that one prefers the character of, fine, but it is astonishingly unlikely that any other phono stage is as clean and transparent.

No analogue system I have used is as good for accurate data retrieval as the digital ones, despite being spectacularly more expensive. Music is sound data Smile
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

Thank you guys for the responses. But do you feel strange that there were not any public media or magazines give their comments on the performance of Dev's vinyl playback? Are they just lazy?

As the ones who would choose vinyl as main source, did u not feeling comfortable about A to D and D to A things initially but now you find Devialet playing LP is top notch?
@G51

This one mentions vinyl performance:

http://www.whathifi.com/devialet/d-premier/review

(Ditto the Stereophile links above)
(20-Aug-2014, 18:05)Confused Wrote: @G51

This one mentions vinyl performance:

http://www.whathifi.com/devialet/d-premier/review

(Ditto the Stereophile links above)

But it was the review dated back to year 2012.