Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who are using vinyl as main source?
(08-Sep-2014, 14:18)G51 Wrote:
(20-Aug-2014, 18:05)Confused Wrote: @G51

This one mentions vinyl performance:

http://www.whathifi.com/devialet/d-premier/review

(Ditto the Stereophile links above)

But it was the review dated back to year 2012.

Indeed so! Not much I can do about that though......

One point, I do not believe that the phono stage has changed significantly (if at all) since the "D-Premier" days. A second point, try this! :

http://www.tonepublications.com/review/d...amplifier/
Hello and thank you.
Soon as my cartridge turns up and I put it all together, vinyl is going to be my main source Smile

Avid Acutus SP,
SME V
Benz LP-S
Devialet 250
Focal Diablo Utopias
(07-Oct-2014, 19:33)chrish Wrote: Soon as my cartridge turns up and I put it all together, vinyl is going to be my main source Smile

Avid Acutus SP,
SME V
Benz LP-S
Devialet 250
Focal Diablo Utopias

Chrish,

Looking forward to what impedance settings you will go for as I have the LPS too. The recommended setting from Benz says high impedance but that didn't work at all for me. I had good response at 100-460 ohms settings. Currently I have it at 460 ohms.

Enjoy!

/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
A rather splendid cartridge the LP-S, I believe. Have either of you managed to do any (reasonably) direct comparisons of the Benz with any of the alternatives? (or whatever you had previously). I think cartridges are just about the hardest thing to audition, or at least to get truly representative home demos in your home system.
(09-Oct-2014, 22:37)Confused Wrote: A rather splendid cartridge the LP-S, I believe. Have either of you managed to do any (reasonably) direct comparisons of the Benz with any of the alternatives? (or whatever you had previously). I think cartridges are just about the hardest thing to audition, or at least to get truly representative home demos in your home system.
Confused,

You hit one of the hardest tasks there is! I have heard many cartridges BUT with different arms, wiring, turntables, settings, phono amps, etc etc. Never heard any at home so I just bought on my collective impressions from many many many sessions of demo. From this, I do think I had the 'signature' of different cartridges. The LPS served my mind the best of the ones I had listened to. Of course I could not know until I had it in my own system but it worked Smile

/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
(09-Oct-2014, 18:39)Mikeeo Wrote:
(07-Oct-2014, 19:33)chrish Wrote: Soon as my cartridge turns up and I put it all together, vinyl is going to be my main source Smile

Avid Acutus SP,
SME V
Benz LP-S
Devialet 250
Focal Diablo Utopias

Chrish,

Looking forward to what impedance settings you will go for as I have the LPS too. The recommended setting from Benz says high impedance but that didn't work at all for me. I had good response at 100-460 ohms settings. Currently I have it at 460 ohms.

Enjoy!

/Mike

Thanks for the info Mike, most appreciated. If you don't mind me asking, what settings are you using for the rest of the stuff?

- Max level - 400uV?
- Loading pF - 0?
- RIAA curve - 1976?
- Sampling rate - 96KHz?

Going to order the LP-S this week from over in England, same place I bought the SME V. Much cheaper than ordering from over here in the US. Hopefully I won't need a bigger counterweight because the LP-S looks like it's a heavy beast.
(14-Oct-2014, 16:31)chrish Wrote:

Avid Acutus SP,
SME V
Benz LP-S
Devialet 250
Focal Diablo Utopias

Chrish,

Enjoy!

/Mike

Thanks for the info Mike, most appreciated. If you don't mind me asking, what settings are you using for the rest of the stuff?

- Max level - 400uV?
- Loading pF - 0?
- RIAA curve - 1976?
- Sampling rate - 96KHz?

Going to order the LP-S this week from over in England, same place I bought the SME V. Much cheaper than ordering from over here in the US. Hopefully I won't need a bigger counterweight because the LP-S looks like it's a heavy beast.

Hi,

The LPS is heavy!
Max level 385 uV (no issues of bottoming out)
Load 0
Riaa 1976 (I prefer the 1953 but my current Jelco arm will resonate due to the unfiltered set up of the 1953 ie 1953 goes under 20 Hz).
Sampling 192 kHz (for me its better without added background noise but people on this forum have diverse experience).

looking forward to hear from you when LPS is installed.

/Mike
(15-Oct-2014, 00:13)Mikeeo Wrote: Hi,

The LPS is heavy!
Load 0
Riaa 1976 (I prefer the 1953 but my current Jelco arm will resonate due to the unfiltered set up of the 1953 ie 1953 goes under 20 Hz).
Sampling 192 kHz (for me its better without added background noise but people on this forum have diverse experience).

/Mike

Hi Mike, I am intrigued to know what you prefer about the 1953 curve?
AFAIK they are identical apart from the rumble cutoff and with a digital RIAA correction there is not even a risk of the extra phase shift due to the low filter.
No record player is capable of reproducing non-spurious output below ~ 2x Fn of the arm/cartridge so it is not as if you can be missing any genuine musical information below 20Hz.
cheers,
Frank
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(15-Oct-2014, 00:13)Mikeeo Wrote:
(14-Oct-2014, 16:31)chrish Wrote:

Avid Acutus SP,
SME V
Benz LP-S
Devialet 250
Focal Diablo Utopias

Chrish,

Enjoy!

/Mike

- Max level - 400uV?
- Loading pF - 0?
- RIAA curve - 1976?
- Sampling rate - 96KHz?

Hi,

The LPS is heavy!
Load 0

/Mike

Thanks Mike Smile