Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why are HiFi entusiasts negative to Phantoms ?
I have two setups, one with a Devialet D250 and Magico Q3's and one with a pair of Silver Phantom. Both systems are used with my computer as the main source. My conclusion is that you have to spend a lot more money on a regular hifi-system to reach the same SQ the Phantom setup offers. But no, it is not as good as my main system...

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
- Proud Devialet owner since 2011!

Main system:
Devialet D250 Pro, Magico Q3 speakers, Shunyata Anaconda speaker cables, Shunyata Sigma HC power cable/Shunyata Cyklops V2 power conditioner/Shunyata Digital power cable, Shunyata DF-SS cable lifters, Jenving CAT8+ Ethernet cables, Auralic Aries Mini with SBoost power supply, Shunyata Venom USB.

Working at Akkelis Audio in Gothenburg, Sweden
(20-Feb-2016, 14:35)BjornWiman Wrote: But no, it is not as good as my main system...

I am fine with it, considering that you can get something like 17 Silver Phantoms for the price of a pair of Q3s! Wink
(20-Feb-2016, 16:49)EvPa Wrote:
(20-Feb-2016, 14:35)BjornWiman Wrote: But no, it is not as good as my main system...

I am fine with it, considering that you can get something like 17 Silver Phantoms for the price of a pair of Q3s!  Wink

What if you put 8 Phantoms on each side? Two racks welded wouldn't cost more than one Phantom. Imagine the bass!
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.

Skickat från min iPad med Tapatalk

Main system:
Devialet D250 Pro, Magico Q3 speakers, Shunyata Anaconda speaker cables, Shunyata Sigma HC power cable/Shunyata Cyklops V2 power conditioner/Shunyata Digital power cable, Shunyata DF-SS cable lifters, Jenving CAT8+ Ethernet cables, Auralic Aries Mini with SBoost power supply, Shunyata Venom USB.

I think that a lot of "audiophiles" are suffering from prejudice regarding both Phantom and the Expert-line. They are so used to have all these boxes to get a good sound - they just can't get into their head that it actually is possible to get extremely good SQ out of such small units.

It is also a part of the "audiophile" hobby to fiddle around with interconnects, DAC's, power cords and so on - things that is not possible to do with the Expert or the Phantom. Therefore this "ready" Devialet solution, in a way, kill the hobby for many audiophiles. Because playing music on their hifisystem don't seem to be the main thing for many members of the audiophile squad.

Also many non-Devialet dealers encourages this belief since an increased sales of Devialets and Phantoms, and solutions alike, are equal to lost business in cables, racks, and boxes to them...

Skickat från min iPad med Tapatalk

Main system:

I heard both a set-up of the new D900 with Magico Q5 and a pair of Silver Phantoms yesterday. Playing the same music of course there was a big differens but if one consider the price of 4000 euro for the Phantoms that is crazy good sound one gets for the money.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

In my opinion Phantom has major design flaws that make it unreliable (for example the total dependence on Spark and the limitation of this application: no internet radio or podcast access, etc.) or annoying to use (why putting the optical input in that absurd position...). It is good only to hear music from a iPad or a iPhone or streaming from TIDAL, which is well integrated in Spark application, but nothing more. I had a LG Bluetooth radio in my sleeping room to hear internet radio and podcasts. Poor sound quality but total reliability, it worked every time I needed it. I replaced by a Phantom, which costs 10 times more, to improve SQ, but it only works 50% of the time.

Enviado do meu iPad usando o Tapatalk
I must admit I'm enjoying reading about all the views and prejudices from all those "audiophiles" lurking out there, but to be honest, I don't believe the reaction to the Phantom from the more traditional "hifi enthusiast" has been that negative. Certainly no more than for many other products, the Devialet "Expert" included.

It's also worth considering Devialet's marketing last year. With some of the claims Devialet were making, they were kind of asking for a backlash. From what I've seen and read, any backlash has been far milder than I might have expected. Indeed, I've seen and read much from the "Audiophile" world that appears to be very fair to the Phantoms.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(21-Feb-2016, 11:00)Confused Wrote: It's also worth considering Devialet's marketing last year.  With some of the claims Devialet were making, they were kind of asking for a backlash.  From what I've seen and read, any backlash has been far milder than I might have expected.  Indeed, I've seen and read much from the "Audiophile" world that appears to be very fair to the Phantoms.

You are correct.  Devialet marketing was over the top. They offered more than what they could do, such as 'integrate DLNA into dialog, multi-channel support and many more".  Proud and overconfident French deserve some backlash and humiliation.  I hope they realize that they can't sell by marketing alone.  Nobody would continue to buy Apple products, if the Macbook or iPhone didn't work as promised.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Remote >> 2x Silver Phantoms << Eth << Dialog UPNP << JRiver MediaCenter 24 - Ubuntu 18.04 x64 [VMWare] << File server - Windows 10 x64 [Supermicro X11SSH-LN4F, Xeon E3-1425 v5, 46 Tb, 16Gb DDR4 ECC]    * Spark is only used to update firmware *
(21-Feb-2016, 14:01)sekriT Wrote: You are correct.  Devialet marketing was over the top. They offered more than what they could do, such as 'integrate DLNA into dialog, multi-channel support and many more".  Proud and overconfident French deserve some backlash and humiliation.  I hope they realize that they can't sell by marketing alone.  Nobody would continue to buy Apple products, if the Macbook or iPhone didn't work as promised.

sekrIT
I just laughed a bit ...Apple gets away with murder...they are the darlings of media...I am myself using plenty of Apple products BUT... as mentioned... you have forgotten the trouble iPhone had in the beginning and when the iPhone 4 came out and you needed to buy a little rubber bumper if not the phone didn't work..and I one of the people who suffered of WiFi issues on my Macbook ...but in general YES Apple products work good, But have they innovated anything....   Nah they just mix existing tech and put MASSIVE marketing into that and voila Apple is THE most innovative company ( anyway in the USA) if you visit i.e Japan you see innovation ...and "French copies no one...and no one copies the French" said an old mentor of mine
Devialet Silver Phantoms pair + Dialog, will be connected through DSPeaker 2.0 ( DSP / Room-Correction) and hopped-up G-sonos. ( thinking of ROON) "Retiring" Goldmund / JOB225 Amp, Antony Gallo Reference 3.5. Keeping Active Bang & Olufsen Beolabs in different rooms connected to Sonos.