Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do you use an external streamer with an Expert Pro with CI?
@hardcore
Very useful info. Thanks.

I'm also interested about your HT setup.

If I understood well, you use digital input on Devialet for this purpose.
What Pre-Pro / AVR you use which has digtal outputs for decoded surround signal?

With my Anthem MRX 720 I can only use analog connection, since digital output works only when S/PDIF input is used and only when it's PCM - so basically it works only as PCM pass-through without decoding the bitstream.
Devialet Expert 440 Pro | Dynaudio Confidence 50 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
Anthem MRX 720 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20
LG OLED 77 CX | LG OLED 65 C7

Sorry, i´d like to make it even simpler but how to avoid a music server?
Mac mini with Roon, Devialet 220 Pro CI, Black Sixteen speaker cables, Sonus Faber Guarneri Tradition and a pair of ears.
(13-Sep-2021, 00:57)BoyScout Wrote: Sorry, i´d like to make it even simpler but how to avoid a music server?

I guess that if you have an Expert CI, if you only use streaming platforms such as Tidal and Spotify, you can bypass an external streamer just using a smartphone or tablet and using the connect function minimizing the signal path.
If you only use online services - Tidal and/or Qobuz - you don't need a server, just a mobile phone or tablet.

EDIT: @docvale was faster.

(11-Sep-2021, 15:06)Delija Wrote: @hardcore
Very useful info. Thanks.

I'm also interested about your HT setup.

If I understood well, you use digital input on Devialet for this purpose.
What Pre-Pro / AVR you use which has digtal outputs for decoded surround signal?

With my Anthem MRX 720 I can only use analog connection, since digital output works only when S/PDIF input is used and only when it's PCM - so basically it works only as PCM pass-through without decoding the bitstream.
Hi @Delija. My source for my HT setup is also the computer (PC). The decoding and down-mixing of any DTS/Dolby/Other codecs is done on the PC. For movies my PC outputs PCM only, via USB-AES/SPDIF converter to the Devialet. For music, it outputs either PCM or DSD (the Devialet accepts up to DSD64 on the digital inputs).

My secondary source of video is directly from the TV's optical output. The TV can usually be set to convert to PCM on the SPDIF output. Also optical sounds very good actually, and is galvanically isolated.

In your case depending on the Anthem, it looks like you may be limited to using the analog input (I assume for the L&R channels) if you're unable to do the decoding to PCM on the SPDIF outputs.
Devialet 1000 Pro CI - AQ Diamond AES RCA-XLR Link
PC - ifi iDefender+ - FIBBR Alpha Optical USB + "Studer 900" LPS - Singxer SU-6 - AQ Diamond AES
PSB Imagine T3  AQ William Tell Zero / Tornado / DBS Level-X  -  PliXir Balanced AC
So, you use only stereo for movies and games?

Frankly - you lose a lot.

(13-Sep-2021, 01:06)docvale Wrote:
(13-Sep-2021, 00:57)BoyScout Wrote: Sorry, i´d like to make it even simpler but how to avoid a music server?

I guess that if you have an Expert CI, if you only use streaming platforms such as Tidal and Spotify, you can bypass an external streamer just using a smartphone or tablet and using the connect function minimizing the signal path.

Do the Devialet Pro CI models now support the Tidal Connect feature?
Devialet 220PRO CI, Sonus Faber Cremona M FS, Innuos ZenMini MKIII, Aurender A10, Nordost Heimdall 2 Power (A10), Nordstrom Heimdall 2 Speaker Cable, Audioquest Carbon USB X2, Audioquest Red River Analog & Digital RCAs, Project Audio Carbon Debut, IsoAcoustics GAIAII OPPO203,
Abu Dhabi, UAE
My take on things is that the ProCI has built in support for Spotify only. So unless I use Spotify, I need to have a different way to get a signal into the amp. I don't use ROON, and I don't have a computer near my hifi, nor do I want a NUC or other stuff that I don't understand. My experiences with UPnP in the past have been miserable, so me, a separate box that gathers the music sources is no big deal. Its just like a CD player/ transport.

Plus, the streamer offers me a whole bunch of streaming sources, not just Tidal (which I also do not like) as well as internet radio which is very important to us. Using a phone or tablet means that you are likely streaming using Bluetooth, although I don't see a BT streaming option on my iPhone when in Deezer or SimpleRadio.

Anyhow, the streamer seems to do a lot of things in one box, and so that qualifies as simple and effective to me.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
@Damon
What is the problem with UPnP?
With BubbleUPnP you can also use internet radio. And no - you are not using BT, of course.
As already said - you don't need any additional "box" for online streaming. Just mobile phone or tablet.

Devialet (CI) has a pretty good integrated UPnP streamer (renderer) - and now I see the problem here. People are not even aware of that Sad
You are not limited to Tidal - you can also use Qobuz and Spotify.
BTW, for other lossy streaming services AirPlay is good enough.

(13-Sep-2021, 15:48)Avi78 Wrote:
(13-Sep-2021, 01:06)docvale Wrote:

Do the Devialet Pro CI models now support the Tidal Connect feature?

No.