Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why does playing over DLNA to my Devialet is working so bad?
JRiver's DNLA works with files up to 24 bit 96KHz. Above that it is unreliable, as you found

I now use a Cat7 cable between a MacBook and the amp with success
                                                           Cape Town - South Africa, the home of good wine
Listening stuff:  Mercury Pi2 / Gentooplayer,  Expert 440PRO CI.  4Tb SSD.  Mogami speaker cable to ET LF8bs, B&W DB1 sub, Power from 7.5kW inverter.  2 x Dachshunds
(12-Aug-2018, 11:46)K4680 Wrote: Hello Manfred, the first time I would like to test with a LAN cable switch directly with the router zuverbinden. If that does not succeed, you can exclude the network as a source of error.
Do you use dynamic cross band repeating (2.4 + 5 GHz) by wlan bridge?

dynamic cross band repeating: yes.

To directly connect the router to the switch: I have a 15m Ethernet cable at home, but the latency would increase.  I will test that during beginning next week.
JRMC/ROON based Media Server - along C.A.P.S V4 Cortes (Win 10 Pro) -> LinkSys 5-Port Unmanaged Switch-> Media Renderer (JRMC; SoTM tx-USBexp, AQ NRG-Y3) ->Transparent AUdio Performance USB-> D220 PRO (AQ Blizzard)-> B&W 804S, Audeze LCD 2 Headphones; Audioquest Niagara 1200+AQ Blizzard; TV ->AQ Carbon Optical->D220 Pro
(12-Aug-2018, 15:05)Manfred Wrote:
(12-Aug-2018, 11:46)K4680 Wrote: Hello Manfred, the first time I would like to test with a LAN cable switch directly with the router zuverbinden. If that does not succeed, you can exclude the network as a source of error.

To directly connect the router to the switch: I have a 15m Ethernet cable at home, but the latency would increase.  I will test that during beginning next week.

I tested it with the 15 m cable, a little better but not perfect. If one looks into task manager, the curve for ethernet workload using DLNA is a wild curve. The same file generates more or less a straight line if using AIR on my media renderer.
JRMC/ROON based Media Server - along C.A.P.S V4 Cortes (Win 10 Pro) -> LinkSys 5-Port Unmanaged Switch-> Media Renderer (JRMC; SoTM tx-USBexp, AQ NRG-Y3) ->Transparent AUdio Performance USB-> D220 PRO (AQ Blizzard)-> B&W 804S, Audeze LCD 2 Headphones; Audioquest Niagara 1200+AQ Blizzard; TV ->AQ Carbon Optical->D220 Pro
(12-Aug-2018, 15:33)Manfred Wrote:
(12-Aug-2018, 15:05)Manfred Wrote:

I tested it with the 15 m cable, a little better but not perfect. If one looks into task manager, the curve for ethernet workload using DLNA is a wild curve. The same file generates more or less a straight line if using AIR on my media renderer.

I copied some album's locally to my media renderer (intel m.2 ssd, i3-6100, 8 GB RAM) and use the media renderer as DLNA server; MR->SWITCH->D200 Pro. It's less stuttering but in no way perfect.
(12-Aug-2018, 15:55)Manfred Wrote:
(12-Aug-2018, 15:33)Manfred Wrote:
(12-Aug-2018, 15:05)Manfred Wrote: dynamic cross band repeating: yes.

I copied some album's locally to my media renderer (intel m.2 ssd, i3-6100, 8 GB RAM) and use the media renderer as DLNA server; MR->SWITCH->D200 Pro. It's less stuttering but in no way perfect.
Hello Manfred, can create a small sketch of your wiring with router, switch wlan etc.
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria
(12-Aug-2018, 17:11)K4680 Wrote:
(12-Aug-2018, 15:55)Manfred Wrote:
(12-Aug-2018, 15:33)Manfred Wrote: I tested it with the 15 m cable, a little better but not perfect. If one looks into task manager, the curve for ethernet workload using DLNA is a wild curve. The same file generates more or less a straight line if using AIR on my media renderer.

Hello Manfred, can create a small sketch of your wiring with router, switch wlan etc.

I have that, but if I want to insert an image it requires a http address?
(12-Aug-2018, 20:19)Manfred Wrote:
(12-Aug-2018, 15:55)Manfred Wrote: I copied some album's locally to my media renderer (intel m.2 ssd, i3-6100, 8 GB RAM) and use the media renderer as DLNA server; MR->SWITCH->D200 Pro. It's less stuttering but in no way perfect.

You find them in JRMC forum (I have asked the same question there):

MY D220 Pro Environment

I did another test:
MC DLNA SERVER (Windows 10, separate room 36 TB Disk Space)->Switch (Linksys)->Ethernet->LG 4K TV | DLNA Renderer ->optical->Devialet D220 Pro.

That works without any problems, even with 24 bit 192kHz! I think it is the Devialet CI Module causing the problems?
(12-Aug-2018, 20:23)Manfred Wrote:
(12-Aug-2018, 17:11)K4680 Wrote: Hello Manfred, can create a small sketch of your wiring with router, switch wlan etc.

You find them in JRMC forum (I have asked the same question there):

MY D220 Pro Environment

I did another test:
MC DLNA SERVER (Windows 10, separate room 36 TB Disk Space)->Switch (Linksys)->Ethernet->LG 4K TV | DLNA Renderer ->optical->Devialet D220 Pro.

That works without any problems, even with 24 bit 192kHz! I think it is the Devialet CI Module causing the problems?

Hi, what I notice is the switch is a managed switch. These switches have various settings about which one can stumble, I've already happened! Can one swap the switch against a normal switch for the test? Would be worth a try!
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria
(12-Aug-2018, 15:55)Manfred Wrote: I copied some album's locally to my media renderer (intel m.2 ssd, i3-6100, 8 GB RAM) and use the media renderer as DLNA server; MR->SWITCH->D200 Pro. It's less stuttering but in no way perfect.

@Manfred. No, use the reply button. Below, you will see a button labelled "New Attachment" choose the location of your file, then press the "Add Attachment" button on the right. You can then use the "Insert Into Post"
button, also on the right.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
I had too little time on Sunday, but I managed to get some testing done. I actually had the exact same experience as @Confused (in post 5). A bit of stuttering some times and complete silence for 3-5 seconds on a few occasions. Sound quality was quite good, especially midrange. Gapless didn't work which is a deal breaker for me. If gapless worked I'd do more testing as that midrange quality would be nice to have! I still suspect that Audirvana has better sound overall than the setup I tried. As I use Windows 7 I couldn't get the trial of Audirvana to run. The Windows version is beta anyway and has yet to have remote control. @ada may be right that UPnP sounds very good, but it depends on which software is used.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB