Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why does playing over DLNA to my Devialet is working so bad?
(13-Aug-2018, 02:25)Axel Wrote:
(12-Aug-2018, 20:19)Manfred Wrote:
(12-Aug-2018, 17:11)K4680 Wrote: Hello Manfred, can create a small sketch of your wiring with router, switch wlan etc.

I have that, but if I want to insert an image it requires a http address?
@Manfred. No, use the reply button. Below, you will see a button labelled "New Attachment" choose the location of your file, then press the "Add Attachment" button on the right. You can then use the "Insert Into Post"
button, also on the right.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

JRMC/ROON based Media Server - along C.A.P.S V4 Cortes (Win 10 Pro) -> LinkSys 5-Port Unmanaged Switch-> Media Renderer (JRMC; SoTM tx-USBexp, AQ NRG-Y3) ->Transparent AUdio Performance USB-> D220 PRO (AQ Blizzard)-> B&W 804S, Audeze LCD 2 Headphones; Audioquest Niagara 1200+AQ Blizzard; TV ->AQ Carbon Optical->D220 Pro
(13-Aug-2018, 08:58)ogs Wrote: I had too little time on Sunday, but I managed to get some testing done. I actually had the exact same experience as @Confused (in post 5). A bit of stuttering some times and complete silence for 3-5 seconds on a few occasions. Sound quality was quite good, especially midrange. Gapless didn't work which is a deal breaker for me. If gapless worked I'd do more testing as that midrange quality would be nice to have! I still suspect that Audirvana has better sound overall than the setup I tried. As I use Windows 7 I couldn't get the trial of Audirvana to run. The Windows version is beta anyway and has yet to have remote control. @ada may be right that UPnP sounds very good, but it depends on which software is used.

I have just updated the other thread that you may want to see a very interesting outputs. I have a Windows machine in my home but I don't have JRiver, I don't know how it's license work but somehow if I reach it, I can also sniff the traffic in it's UPnP integration. We might see if Audirvana has a superior integration of UPnP when you compare to JRiver.
Hi @ada . I somehow doubt you will find the explanation in the IP protocol used. I believe the difference is in the serving code. I can't explain what is is, but I can hear a difference. I can't try Audirvana so I do not know anything about it's sound quality. Within the next six to nine months (hopefully) Devialet will have RAAT on board the CI. Roon changed RAAT from UDP to TCP last year but naturally uses UDP for AIR as AIR is UDP. As you say yourself: UDP is a very efficient protocol for real time purposes, but is is also vulnerable.
Roon will not let anyone get away with unstable RAAT streaming so I guess we are guaranteed properly working 'Roon ready' Experts.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
As I don't have RAAT to test, this sounds totally right for me. If they started with UDP and end up with using TCP then for sure Roon is in the correct direction and they have already suffered from UDP and it's faulty world. We are not talking about a possibility, UDP will cause errors for sure in almost in all the scenarios we have in our homes, it is almost impossible to be sure the sender and receiver are sharing the 100% same data.

I have just started to read the UPnP architecture documentation, there are 3 different ways of implementing it, maybe Audirvana went for the most advance solution to be sure the quality of the streaming is the main target. But I haven't reached that much of details yet. (Actually it is not too complex to discover as the flows are vice verse depends on pulling or pushing model maybe I will sit a bit more and try to discover)

But all in all, UPnP is a generic purpose solution that is not targeting any audiophiles by default, I am pretty sure there is a huge room to improve the things, if RAAT is already on TCP then I am sure they have a big possibility to reach/beat the UPnP quality but until that day, I will stay away from any kind of AIR based solution as my concern is not transferring protocol but the sound quality.