Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WiFi vs LAN Connected Expert
Is it my imagination that it sounds better not to have it connected by LAN to be cable free and use the onboard WiFi instead? As a LINN dealer new to Devialet as a dealer I’ve been comparing sound qualities. With LINN DS people spend thousands on Cat6/7/8, Network switches and the player port of Melco etc. Let me know - Chris
Devialet dealer in Ascot Berkshire UK 

www.hiddensystems.co.uk
Devialet | Kudos | Linn | Kudos | Totem
LEJONKLOU GAIO/2 on your store website is listed for £0.00 might want to fix that.
(22-Jul-2018, 16:01)Rama Wrote: LEJONKLOU GAIO/2 on your store website is listed for £0.00 might want to fix that.

Thank you, fixed.
Devialet dealer in Ascot Berkshire UK 

www.hiddensystems.co.uk
Devialet | Kudos | Linn | Kudos | Totem
You are welcome. As for the original question posted, my opinion is that if you live in an area where there is not too much Wifi interference from neighbours you would get a better sound. But most people don't have that luxury so a hardwired connection is recommended.
(22-Jul-2018, 14:04)Hidden Systems Wrote: With LINN DS people spend thousands on Cat6/7/8, Network switches and the player port of Melco etc. Let me know - Chris

Probably good for dealers, but as you’ll probably already know, some people will spend that money (regardless of whether any of it makes a difference) and there’s not going to be any straight answer about what sounds best - wired or WiFi.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

To make wifi work, you must have a reasonable quality router and it should preferably not be servicing any other wireless clients. My own setup to the internet consists of an LTE wireless router connected to a hub. There is a 35m LAN cable which connects to an Apple Airport Extreme in another part of the house. I make my wifi devices (TV, iPad, AVR, phones, etc) all connect to the Airport

Only the Devialet and a MacBook are connected to the wifi output of the LTE hub. I configured the LTE router only to allow the MAC address of these devices to connect. The Devialet is less than 2 metres from the router and 200mm from a MacBook Pro

However, I found the Devialet Air app (on a Macbook) to be somewhat inconsistent. There are various connection options, none of which do as I thought they said (auto-connect, etc). The other thing that has happened twice is that the Devialet Air app reports that it cannot find the amplifier.

Seeing there is no electrical connection from the source to the amp, I would expect it to sound somewhat better.

However, between several friends and myself who are accustomed to listening to well set up equipment, we cannot detect any difference. And we have tried hard
                                                           Cape Town - South Africa, the home of good wine
Listening stuff:  Mercury Pi2 / Gentooplayer,  Expert 440PRO CI.  4Tb SSD.  Mogami speaker cable to ET LF8bs, B&W DB1 sub, Power from 7.5kW inverter.  2 x Dachshunds